ADVERTISEMENT

THON, not wrestling

pawrestlersintn

Jan 26, 2013
I'm going to make a wholly inappropriate and unabashedly brazen plea here. Tom, if it really is inappropriate, just delete.

My son has been selected to dance for THON next weekend, representing the Penn State NROTC Operation Blue and Gold. He's a senior at PSU, doing very well in his mechanical engineering studies, a Midshipman (serving as Battalion Executive Officer this semester) in the Naval ROTC and will be going to the submarine service when he graduates.

He was a wrestler in high school and wrestled IMs while at Penn State. In addition to this dancing endeavor, he also has participated in every THON 5K, fully dressed as Batman, thrilling kids, and entertaining adults, as well, although his 5K times have suffered since high school.

Anyway, if anyone was going to donate to THON, anyway, he would greatly appreciate if you would do so in support of his fundraising effort. Donation link can be found here: https://thon.donordrive.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=donordrive.participant&participantID=2737

And before anyone asks, no, I will not be bribed to add KYPSW points to your score for donating.

danced in 77, no breaks. Back then you could win money by dancing the longest. 4 couples took no breaks other than the 2 allowed 10 min bathroom breaks. Somewhere in the archives is the article in the daily collegian from the next day.

Reactions: TiredOldLion
My partner came down with a nasty cold right before the start. She was going to totally drop out but I convinced her to start, otherwise I would not have been able to participate. She planned to just dance a half hour so I could stay but then stayed for a few hours until she bottomed out from the cold. I lasted the entire time, the back rubs were fantastic. I did hallucinate a few times, I also stood in a large bucket of ice and water for a bit and it did not even feel cold.

I just opened your son's page, I had totally missed the NROTC part, despite it clearly being in your post. Please thank him for his service!!

I'm going to make a wholly inappropriate and unabashedly brazen plea here. Tom, if it really is inappropriate, just delete.

While there have not been, historically, a lot of THON posts on this board, there have been scores of them over the years on the BWI McAndrew board. I never delete posts about pledging to THON, even if they are requests to target the donation to a specific dancer/organization, etc. (unless they deserve to be deleted for other reasons).

There's nothing wrong with your post, and I wish your son the best of luck. PSU, and PSU students have a lot about which to be proud. THON has been one of the aspects of PSU life about which the students, the alumni, and the community can take immense pride.

There are times during THON when parents of dancers are allowed to go down onto the floor. I urge your wife and you to take advantage of that opportunity. I did as much when I was in a similar situation, and it remains one of the most memorable experiences I've ever had at PSU.

if anyone was going to donate to THON, anyway, he would greatly appreciate if you would do so in support of his fundraising effort.

Consider it done Doug... please thank your son both for his service and his effort at THON. I look forward to meeting you before the match with Nova.

While there have not been, historically, a lot of THON posts on this board, there have been scores of them over the years on the BWI McAndrew board. I never delete posts about pledging to THON, even if they are requests to target the donation to a specific dancer/organization, etc. (unless they deserve to be deleted for other reasons).

There's nothing wrong with your post, and I wish your son the best of luck. PSU, and PSU students have a lot about which to be proud. THON has been one of the aspects of PSU life about which the students, the alumni, and the community can take immense pride.

There are times during THON when parents of dancers are allowed to go down onto the floor. I urge your wife and you to take advantage of that opportunity. I did as much when I was in a similar situation, and it remains one of the most memorable experiences I've ever had at PSU.
Thanks, Tom! My wife and I will be on the floor of the BJC from 4:45 to 5:10 AM next Sunday morning! Everyone be thinking of us! :)

Hey, meeting before the match? Where? We are coming and it is my sons birthday. Going to Ottos for dinner at 5.

Any chance the wrestling team participates in the team sport competition tomorrow night?
If they ever have, I've never found one of the wrestling team dances on Youtube. Although with this current crew, you could see it happening, with Marky Mark and the Funtastic Five leading the charge.

My son has been selected to dance for THON next weekend, representing the Penn State NROTC Operation Blue and Gold. He's a senior at PSU, doing very well in his mechanical engineering studies, a Midshipman (serving as Battalion Executive Officer this semester) in the Naval ROTC and will be going to the submarine service when he graduates.

He was a wrestler in high school and wrestled IMs while at Penn State. In addition to this dancing endeavor, he also has participated in every THON 5K, fully dressed as Batman, thrilling kids, and entertaining adults, as well, although his 5K times have suffered since high school.

Anyway, if anyone was going to donate to THON, anyway, he would greatly appreciate if you would do so in support of his fundraising effort. Donation link can be found here: https://thon.donordrive.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=donordrive.participant&participantID=2737

And before anyone asks, no, I will not be bribed to add KYPSW points to your score for donating.

Best wishes to your son from another former NROTC and THON Dancer. Ironically, I too, wrestled IM’s at good ol PSU.

Back to the top.

Hard to imagine way back when I witnessed Thon No 1 that it would have grown to this. Likewise, considering the great early 70's wrestling teams, that PSU wrestling would be going for 7 of 8 NC years.

Just crawling back into bed after visiting Gray. He and his fellow Operation Blue and Gold dancer are doing well. The energy in that place is amazing. More later after a nap. Thanks everyone for your well wishes and donations!

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT