ADVERTISEMENT

This week will be different than 1st 4 weeks...

LionsandBear

Dec 7, 2009
I've been reading some of the OSU boards and of course our boards and I've noticed a consistent theme. Everyone believes OSU has dominated in their games and then called off the dogs in the 2nd half while we have struggled early, only to pull away late.

This is the narrative CJF wants. Franklin has been mixing, matching and playing mad chemist with some young kids in order to get them ready for more difficult scenarios ahead. Don't be fooled as some Buckeyes have been that we couldn't have just steamrolled all of our opponents with our strengths. The young kids on Defense know our base Defense but CJF wanted them to grow up as quickly as possible so he put them into sets that they're uncomfortable with in hopes that they would become more comfortable. I'm not saying he purposely put our games in jeopardy but that he knew that we could go back to base and dominate with talent when we had to.

Similarly on Offense. Our OL is strong. Everyone saw in each game that we could run the ball whenever we wanted to but CJF wanted to work on our weakest aspect which is our TE and newer WRs. He wanted to force the ball to the WRs and figure out who our best TE would be going forward, knowing all the while that if need be, Trace and Miles could run the RPO down the opponents' throats. We could have run the ball down Illinois' throats from the beginning but that wouldn't have prepared us for stiffer competition.

So underestimate this team at your own peril. CJF knows exactly what he's doing! Don't be fooled when you see a highly efficient team on Defense and Offense Saturday night. You've been watching it for 4 weeks, only in smaller increments.

WE ARE!!

I want to see a complete game from the Offense, Defense and Special Teams. I do not think we have seen that yet.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I've been reading some of the OSU boards and of course our boards and I've noticed a consistent theme. Everyone believes OSU has dominated in their games and then called off the dogs in the 2nd half while we have struggled early, only to pull away late.

This is the narrative CJF wants. Franklin has been mixing, matching and playing mad chemist with some young kids in order to get them ready for more difficult scenarios ahead. Don't be fooled as some Buckeyes have been that we couldn't have just steamrolled all of our opponents with our strengths. The young kids on Defense know our base Defense but CJF wanted them to grow up as quickly as possible so he put them into sets that they're uncomfortable with in hopes that they would become more comfortable. I'm not saying he purposely put our games in jeopardy but that he knew that we could go back to base and dominate with talent when we had to.

Similarly on Offense. Our OL is strong. Everyone saw in each game that we could run the ball whenever we wanted to but CJF wanted to work on our weakest aspect which is our TE and newer WRs. He wanted to force the ball to the WRs and figure out who our best TE would be going forward, knowing all the while that if need be, Trace and Miles could run the RPO down the opponents' throats. We could have run the ball down Illinois' throats from the beginning but that wouldn't have prepared us for stiffer competition.

So underestimate this team at your own peril. CJF knows exactly what he's doing! Don't be fooled when you see a highly efficient team on Defense and Offense Saturday night. You've been watching it for 4 weeks, only in smaller increments.

WE ARE!!

And they also watched the tcu game? I recall it was 33-28 at the end of the 3rd qtr. BTW, that was the same tcu that alos lost to texas.

Whether or not Franklin has been doing what you envision remains to be seen, but i'm pretty sure this team will be ready, TM will have blood in his eyes, and the game won't be over by the half.

Reactions: NittanyLion15
Do you think CJF also told the defense to not tackle?
I'd imagine due to the shifting all over the field, the defense was put in position to make some mistakes. And they did.

You can get away with all that shifting when you score on 55.5 points a game. It almost bit us in the butt against App State. That was a good learning experience for everyone in hindsight.

I believe there is some merit to your belief. It sure looks like that is what’s been happening on defense. I can’t keep track of who is in there and who isn’t. My eyes tell me that Miller, Shelton, Givens, and Matos are the best DL combo. The LB’s are Parsons, Brooks, and Miller. The secondary should be Amani, TCF, Scott, and Sutherland.

WE ARE!!
well, we'll find out saturday night if you're right!

You could be right, and if so, l hope it results in us winning! However, I'm willing to bet there is little change in Franklin's philosophy from the first four games. He seems a long term thinker. What if he can bring all these guys along? Imagine the long term quality and depth not just for this game, but the rest of the season, and especially for next year. What is he willing to risk? He's a player's coach and I don't see him putting all of his eggs in one basket just for this game and sacrificing his long term goals. Does he (and his coaches) not know who his best players vs us, and if he does, then what's the game here? You're going through a lot of mental gymnastics where maybe Franklin's perspective and confidence is his players will simply get significantly better for this game and beyond. Let's hope so.

And they also watched the tcu game? I recall it was 33-28 at the end of the 3rd qtr. BTW, that was the same tcu that alos lost to texas.

Whether or not Franklin has been doing what you envision remains to be seen, but i'm pretty sure this team will be ready, TM will have blood in his eyes, and the game won't be over by the half.
Yep. Our offensive line is better than TCU's, and their QB, Shawn Robinson had little starting experience. He did some good things, but also had too many panic and deer in the head lights moments. Trace changes the whole ball game for us. If our defense can give us more than TCU's, then we can win this thing. My big concern is if it comes down to a field goal our freshman kicker has had few opportunities to build confidence.

I think the tOSU defensive line is going to be very surprised at our OL ability to run block this year. I think the key to the game is wearing down their DL (all of them) throughout the game and I think we can do it with how our OL is playing this year.

I think the tOSU defensive line is going to be very surprised at our OL ability to run block this year. I think the key to the game is wearing down their DL (all of them) throughout the game and I think we can do it with how our OL is playing this year.

I agree! I think our running game is going to take the stage, opening up a couple of deep tosses when the time is right. I really look forward to Miles having the chance to showcase his talent with Trace and Slade also making an impact on the ground. This will be a statement game for the OL!

Your point?
My point? I thought it was fairly obvious. The original post spells out a higher reasoning for our marginal defensive play as some type of master plan to sandbag defensive alignments, capabilities, etc... I was just wondering if our on-going problem with piss poor tackling was also part of this master plan.

ADVERTISEMENT