ADVERTISEMENT

This PSU team will play with a chip on its shoulder

Hmmm. So the kid is buried deep on the PSU depth chart but might start at another B1G conference school. I guess he just didn’t fit in at PSU.
Probably win the Heisman this year. Oh wait. My bad. Levis had it locked up.

What does he do that’s so bad man? I thought last year turned on injuries to Clifford and mustipher???

So many things. Lol

Some here are still pissed over the covid year.

Some here think Franklin underachieved the year we won the conference, even though NOBODY thought we were close prior to beating OSU that year.

Some here are pissed that Clifford beat out Tommy Stevens and then Will Levis.

We have 1st rd draft pick WRs who got shut down to the tune of 1100 yards while some guy who never got past #3 WR is the best deep threat of 2013-2014 that Franklin mismanaged.

And that's maybe 20% of it.

So many things. Lol

Some here are still pissed over the covid year.

Some here think Franklin underachieved the year we won the conference, even though NOBODY thought we were close prior to beating OSU that year.

Some here are pissed that Clifford beat out Tommy Stevens and then Will Levis.

We have 1st rd draft pick WRs who got shut down to the tune of 1100 yards while some guy who never got past #3 WR is the best deep threat of 2013-2014 that Franklin mismanaged.

And that's maybe 20% of it.
You guys want Darrell hazell? How about a head coach named Danny who used to mug people for late rent? Lol

• Haha
Reactions: lazydave841
It would be a miracle if Penn State won the Big 10. Ohio State is signing 4 and 5 star defensive tackles every year. PSU get's one about every 4 years, and Franklin has not shown the ability to find many low ranked DT's that grow into studs either. They will not be able to hold up to a grind of a long season without quality depth on the defensive front. Sorry, but I wouldn't get your hopes up too high until franklin can start bringing in defensive linemen like OSU does.
If there are no injuries on the defensive line they might have an ok season, but there are usually some injuries.

DT Beamon is listed at 261 pounds :confused:
LJ SR has it locked down

Reactions: Gitzit
Lots of negative nellie's here and maybe a few trolls sprinkled in. That supports the chip on their shoulders thesis. People can sleep on them, I actually prefer that this time of year.

So called fans that denigrate the coach and players. "I'm a Penn State Football fan, but I hate the coach and we have poor players OL, LB and our running game stinks." I predict and hope PSU gets beat . " What a moron.
I get your point, however, it is possible to point out question areas/possible weaknesses and still be a fan supporting the team and coaches.

Ok so tell me about your DL starters? Who are you excited about and what are their characteristics? I know mustipher is very good. Are he and the other DE extreme speed rushers? Speed and power? Power without a ton of burst? WhT?

I’m watching the opener last year and you guys don’t look like some wuss team. Hit a nice pass from cliff to Dotson v Wisconsin.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Ok so tell me about your DL starters

Tarburton should start at one DE. Primarily a run stopper, he's yet to flash any consistent pass rush ability. Unknown exactly who is competing for reps with him right now.

Issac likely at the other DE spot. He looks to have filled out since he last played in '20. He's about 15 months removed from an injury. Should be this years primary pass rusher. Started out as a speed guy, looking like he can be physical against the run now.

DT is up in the air. Does PJ start and play his usual snaps?

A lot of hype around Beamon returning this year. He's an active 3T. Fits what Diaz projects to do.

Ellies is likely PJs primary backup or starter if he isn't ready to go. He filled in adequate last year, but wasn't the disruptive force PJ was. Definitely hoping for improvement as he was still young last year.

Tarburton should start at one DE. Primarily a run stopper, he's yet to flash any consistent pass rush ability. Unknown exactly who is competing for reps with him right now.

Issac likely at the other DE spot. He looks to have filled out since he last played in '20. He's about 15 months removed from an injury. Should be this years primary pass rusher. Started out as a speed guy, looking like he can be physical against the run now.

A lot of hype around Beamon returning this year. He's an active 3T. Fits what Diaz projects to do.

Ellies is likely PJs primary backup or starter if he isn't ready to go. He filled in adequate last year, but wasn't the disruptive force PJ was. Definitely hoping for improvement as he was still young last year.
Tarburton SSDE or weak side? Any group you want me to give you from our end

Also can PJ move “for being 321” or is his ability to move elite? Do you guys line the nose up in a gap I assume?

Tarburton SSDE or weak side? Any group you want me to give you from our end
Weak.

Definitely curious about your running game. Do you expect it to be improved this year? Or is it going to be below average because of the system?

OL - what do you return here? Were they young and just better pass blockers that you expect to improve?

RB - did you bring anybody in here?
Also can PJ move “for being 321” or is his ability to move elite? Do you guys line the nose up in a gap I assume?

PJ was probably very good to great last year. He was very likely headed for the NFL. I think he got up to 330 last year so he should be a tick quicker at 321. He's a true 1T, always in the gap. Our interior pass rush died with him getting injured last year.

Tarburton is the 3rd best DE on the team. No, on fact, he SHOULD NOT start. He will though because Franklin awards seniority rather than putting the best players in the field.

Reactions: scrivener

Beamon is 40 pounds undersized.

Reactions: Gitzit
Tarburton is the 3rd best DE on the team. No, on fact, he SHOULD NOT start. He will though because Franklin awards seniority rather than putting the best players in the field.

The Purdue gentleman was asking for information on our DL. Until I see a depth chart, no point in projecting anybody else there.

I'm not so sure JF plays senioritis either. Washington and KLS started as true freshman. Clifford beat out Tommy. Kalen King was the #3 CB over Dixon and Wilson as a true freshman.

Beamon is 40 pounds undersized.

I'm thinking 15-20 but I understand your sentiment.

Reactions: Delcolion915
Tarburton should start at the 5 technique because he better suited to it than any of the other 7s on the roster even if he is misfit for the position. Playing a true 7 out of position doesn't do us much good. A less 7 that is more suited to playing a 5 is better seven ways to Sunday. But, given our history, we'll likely start the 'better' player regardless. Overall, the best player to start at the 5 is probably Beamon.

Reactions: Delcolion915
Weak.

Definitely curious about your running game. Do you expect it to be improved this year? Or is it going to be below average because of the system?

OL - what do you return here? Were they young and just better pass blockers that you expect to improve?

RB - did you bring anybody in here?

PJ was probably very good to great last year. He was very likely headed for the NFL. I think he got up to 330 last year so he should be a tick quicker at 321. He's a true 1T, always in the gap. Our interior pass rush died with him getting injured last year.
Your guys from here seemed to question whether or not he was 100% going into camp and whether or not he will play a key role in the first game or even take a minority of the snaps? Any shift on that? Seems like a force if he’s 100%.

the running game hasn’t really happened since 2018, the last time before this year that the line looked like men.

Purdue’s fans think king Doerue gets holes but is just a wee man because he runs a 7.5 forty or something? But, for whatever reason the offensive line has only blocked for him against Minnesota the last few years:

Serviceable. But at Purdue that’s like if Wisconsin had a serviceable QB.

Darrell hazell actually had physical offensive and defensive lines. He just coached like he was 9 years old and tried to run tressel ball at Purdue, which you can’t do cause you aren’t better in the trenches.

those OL all graduated in 2018 and then the lines since have had a lot of guys retire for medical reasons. So it’s been quick pass blocking lines who will intermittently get a push in the run game as the year goes on.

this year the OL looks like men for the first time since 2018.

LT Eric Miller - was RT last year cause we had transfer Greg long. More suited to LT. spent the first few years putting on weight. Played through injuries last year. Good 5th year senior who seems okay as a run blocker and is quick as a pass blocker (Purdue errs toward 300 lb guys who can move their feet first, if they are more physical also, bonus).

LG Spencer holstege - I’ve heard he’s Purdue’s best all around OL. He got thrown into the fire early a few years ago. He seemed fine last year. Multiple years playing under his belt. Returning starter

C Gus Hartwig - four star senior candidate for all the awards. Wanna say this will be his third year starting

RG Marcus MBow - just a better more athletic guy than we usually get who came in last year as a true freshman in four games and played to me as good as anyone we had. We don’t usually get guys as athletic as him who show up with true size.

RT cam Craig - here’s where it gets interesting.. the coaches love Craig as an athletic physical tackle but every year he ends up playing some guard and that’s it. I think it may be him here if he’s doing well. If not maybe it’s Muhamane Moussa .. who is kinda the OT version of Mbow (true freshman last year, four games, more athletic at his size than guys we normally get)z. Maybe it’s Mbow here and Sione Finau at RG, transfer from FAU. Strong guy at RG.

then Daniel Johnson transferred from Kent state. Big athletic tackle who may play both tackle spots off the bench.

it seems infinitely better than what we’ve had but we really don’t know. It’s like cross your fingers stuff. Would any of these guys outside Hartwig excite penn state fans? Meh. But they may keep PSUs DL in check and even get push in the run game. In 2019 for perspective they couldn’t move Nevadas line for true freshman doerue at all.

Backs off the bench are:

Kobe Lewis - CMU transfer who seems like a bigger quicker back than Doerue but doesn’t have that big ten build IMO .. rushed for 1000 in 2019, injured last year.

dylan downing - transfer from UNLV last year, looked like a fullback, then dropped weight and ripped off a nice long run against Indiana, but it’s friggin Indiana

devin mockobee - service academy kid who chose instead to be PWO for us. RS freshman

Should be much much improved on the OL and with the backs from last year. Am I counting on it in week 1? No. But marginally better in week one for sure.

you guys OL?

you guys OL?

LT - Olu Fashanu. RS Soph. Started the bowl game with Walker opting out. Strangely blocked better than Walker did 3/4 of the year. Limited experience, but has the size and feet for blindside.

LG - Landon Tengwall. Sophomore. Has ability to play all 5 positions. Started seeing a lot of snaps late. Strong kid. Has the physical/ nasty style to him.

C - Juice Scruggs. Last years starter at RG, but played a lot of C too. RS junior. Gained weight in off season. Solid guy, but he's seemed to be as good or as bad as the player beside him.

RG - 2 names here:

Sal Wormley. Reported he would have been a starter last year but missed all season due to injury. Probably less than 20 snaps if that. Supposed to be a stout run blocker.

Hunter Nourzad. Ivy league transfer. 2nd team guy, transfer in to get NFL looks. RT for Cornell last year. Moving inside for us. Strong, but no P5 experience yet.

RT - Caeden Wallace. 2nd year starter. NFL guard, but probably our best RT prospect. Better run blocker than pass protector.

you guys OL?
[/QUOTE]

We stink. Every season since Franklin has been here. He can't put a decent line on the field and they will stink again this year.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
LT - Olu Fashanu. RS Soph. Started the bowl game with Walker opting out. Strangely blocked better than Walker did 3/4 of the year. Limited experience, but has the size and feet for blindside.

LG - Landon Tengwall. Sophomore. Has ability to play all 5 positions. Started seeing a lot of snaps late. Strong kid. Has the physical/ nasty style to him.

C - Juice Scruggs. Last years starter at RG, but played a lot of C too. RS junior. Gained weight in off season. Solid guy, but he's seemed to be as good or as bad as the player beside him.

RG - 2 names here:

Sal Wormley. Reported he would have been a starter last year but missed all season due to injury. Probably less than 20 snaps if that. Supposed to be a stout run blocker.

Hunter Nourzad. Ivy league transfer. 2nd team guy, transfer in to get NFL looks. RT for Cornell last year. Moving inside for us. Strong, but no P5 experience yet.

RT - Caeden Wallace. 2nd year starter. NFL guard, but probably our best RT prospect. Better run blocker than pass protector.
Thanks for all the good info… usually fans don’t know shit about their team or everyone is Nate Newton lol.

this matchup is looking more like the 03 penn state Purdue game than anything I’ve seen since. Does they mean we can win? Eh… I think this game could go either way by a lot. But I don’t think it will be no 35-7.

if there’s any other group you wanna know about let me know. I’ve been watching your bwi pre camp position breakdowns with the dude from smash mouth

Reactions: lazydave841
I would hope they play with a chip on their shoulder. Seems to me they should be playing with a chip on their shoulder every year not just this year?

Listening to Steve Jones the other day. He was saying that Penn State's recruiting is starting to stack quality depth at every position or something to that extent, but he added they have to stay healthy as every team does. Ross Tucker who I love listening to ,says he is only worried about the linebackers, and said the DT position is fine, so what do I know lol
They seem to be figuring Mustipher is going to come back like he was before he got hurt? I guess we will soon find out if they know what they are talking about.

Isnt OL supposed to be better this year
JF has been queuing up excuses since before the blue white game so it’s kinda hard to know. But he at least can say he told us so in the event it’s not better.

and as long as they let Clifford lead the team in carries, the OL will look bad.

I think this team will surprise a lot of the experts who have them unranked. Some experts even have us an underdog to Purdue. I have a hunch we will win by at least 14.

I noticed Cole Brevard, our former DT who hit the portal is now with Purdue. They have given him rave reviews. After watching him get pushed around against Arkansas, I have to wonder about their assessment of him. Maybe he has developed and become a stud at DT. We'll see soon enough.
That is a great observation about Brevard. He couldn't really get into the rotation to play at PSU, but he is a much needed player for Purdue. This speaks volumes about the difference in talent on the DL's of PSU versus Purdue.
1) Not ranked in AP and coaches poll is a slap in the face. I get it, on paper we limped to the finish after a strong start last year. Injuries played a major role in that and we lost some good NFL talent from that team.

2) The NFL talent lost (other than LB) is at position groups with a lot of strong depth. One could argue that the D line, secondary, QB, TE, WR group, RB room, and even OL should be at least a push to major upgrades from last year.

3) We are returning several players that would have been starting last year if they were available. Mustipher, Isaac, and Beamon on the DL and Wormely and Fashanu on the OL would have all started in the 2nd half of last season if available.

4) We have added some very strong talent through transfer and recruiting. Tinsley at WR, Robinson at DE are potentially strong starting talent additions. Singleton and Allen have transformed the RB room and Dennis-Sutton at DE, Durant at DT, and Saunders at WR are potentially immediately ready to bring high end depth as are perhaps a couple of LB additions.

5) Talented young players like Tangwell, any number of safeties and corners, Veilleux, possibly Meiga or Wallace at WR, the young DTs that stepped up when mustipher went down, etc. are more than likely going to be ready to step up with a year of seasoning.

Now I'm not saying we are going to win the Big 10. I'm also not saying we can't.
A pretty rosy assessment that I pretty much agree with. PSU will not line up Bama talent across the board, and the team will miss Dotson, Brisker and Ebiketie, and there will likely be some growing pains at LB until the unit gets some experience and cohesion. But last year's team in my opinion would have been a 10-3 team if Mustipher and Clifford would not have gotten hurt (and might have knocked UM out of the playoff), and this season's team with just a little help from the OLine looks like a better team with better depth.

Thanks for starting a good thread that is actually on PSU football!!

Let not act like Paterno didn’t do that. It was a hallmark.

I suppose you didn’t actually imply that, but it needs to be said that for as long as I’ve been with the Blue and White…..that’s been the case. To be fair, lots of excellent coaches do it.

Reactions: bison13
Honestly, we don't know. It truthfully couldn't get much worse. Lol

2nd year OC, and 2 freshmen RBs seem to be the cause for optimistic posts.

Franklin alone is the cause for the pessimism.
I also have to include Fashanu and Tengwell as reasons for optimism for the offense and running game. We got to see them last season against Rutgers (?) and in the bowl game and they both played pretty well, especially for inexperienced players. Both should have improved this off season. And on the interior it seems that Scruggs has found a home at Center, and he seems to play with more of the nasty attitude the coaches have been looking for. And last year's starting Guard Wormley being back, as well as Nourzad added on the interior. As even Franklin has said, everyone is tired of the potential of the OL, and it's "Show Me" time for them, but I can't remember a preseason where there are more genuine reasons for optimism for the OL.

So called fans that denigrate the coach and players. "I'm a Penn State Football fan, but I hate the coach and we have poor players OL, LB and our running game stinks." I predict and hope PSU gets beat . " What a moron.
Yep, from that perspective I'm expecting more from the team this year than I am from a good many of the team's "fans"👩‍🍳..........

;)

Last edited:
1) Not ranked in AP and coaches poll is a slap in the face. I get it, on paper we limped to the finish after a strong start last year. Injuries played a major role in that and we lost some good NFL talent from that team.

2) The NFL talent lost (other than LB) is at position groups with a lot of strong depth. One could argue that the D line, secondary, QB, TE, WR group, RB room, and even OL should be at least a push to major upgrades from last year.

3) We are returning several players that would have been starting last year if they were available. Mustipher, Isaac, and Beamon on the DL and Wormely and Fashanu on the OL would have all started in the 2nd half of last season if available.

4) We have added some very strong talent through transfer and recruiting. Tinsley at WR, Robinson at DE are potentially strong starting talent additions. Singleton and Allen have transformed the RB room and Dennis-Sutton at DE, Durant at DT, and Saunders at WR are potentially immediately ready to bring high end depth as are perhaps a couple of LB additions.

5) Talented young players like Tangwell, any number of safeties and corners, Veilleux, possibly Meiga or Wallace at WR, the young DTs that stepped up when mustipher went down, etc. are more than likely going to be ready to step up with a year of seasoning.

Now I'm not saying we are going to win the Big 10. I'm also not saying we can't.
It all depends on how well the OL and DL play. Blocking & tackling win games,

Ok so tell me about your DL starters? Who are you excited about and what are their characteristics? I know mustipher is very good. Are he and the other DE extreme speed rushers? Speed and power? Power without a ton of burst? WhT?

I’m watching the opener last year and you guys don’t look like some wuss team. Hit a nice pass from cliff to Dotson v Wisconsin.
Well on the DL, PSU returns about 6 DT's that have been ahead of Brevard on the depth chart for the last 2 seasons.

I'm not being sarcastic, but the fact that a 3rd or 4th team DT can leave PSU and project to start at another team can't help but tell us that other team's depth chart at that position was pretty devoid of talent.

Yep, Tarburton should start (at least to start the season and likely most of the season), as well as Isaac at DE. But the bigger positive to me is the depth at DE. Robinson and DDS look like 2 more potential starters to me, at least after the first few games where they get acclimated to the defense. And Vilbert seems to get lost in the discussion even though he was the lone bright spot in the bowl game with 3 sacks.

Lots of depth at DT as well with Van den Berg, Mulbah, Durant pushing the supposed top 4 of Mustipher, Beamon Ellies and Izzaard.

Franklin made a point recently to mention the depth of the team across all positions, and other than at LB this team seems to have more depth than any previous Franklin team. The team likely is not the best team of Franklin's tenure, but this team is likely the team that can experience an injury or two and maintain it's potential to win games. And that should be a big positive for actual PSU fans........

Well on the DL, PSU returns about 6 DT's that have been ahead of Brevard on the depth chart for the last 2 seasons.

I'm not being sarcastic, but the fact that a 3rd or 4th team DT can leave PSU and project to start at another team can't help but tell us that other team's depth chart at that position was pretty devoid of talent.
Entirely true. As a counter, it can also indicate that the criteria used to elevate players into starting roles was flawed. See Bill Belton starting ahead of Zack Zwinak in 2014, and being expected to block when he was nothing more than a speed table in that role and went down on initial contact 99% of the time. But, he probably looked like a rock star in practice.

Listening to Steve Jones the other day. He was saying that Penn State's recruiting is starting to stack quality depth at every position or something to that extent, but he added they have to stay healthy as every team does. Ross Tucker who I love listening to ,says he is only worried about the linebackers, and said the DT position is fine, so what do I know lol
They seem to be figuring Mustipher is going to come back like he was before he got hurt? I guess we will soon find out if they know what they are talking about.
I think Mustipher will start, but his reps will be limited the 1st 4 games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT