ADVERTISEMENT

This might be the deepest Villanova team Jay Wright has assembled yet.

They basically played 8 last night, and 3 starters went more than 35 minutes. Bryan Antoine still having health problems.
imo, if they lost Robinson-Earle, they would be a very different team.
Swider still has lost his shot. 0-5 from 3 in last game.
I think they are very good, but not particularly deep.

Next year, I would be surprised if JRE and quite possibly Justin Moore don’t go into the draft, along with Gillespie and Samuels. Will be replaced by 4 high quality recruits.

Then don’t read the tread, moron.
1*KZA3g4mIIw9lm8DPd4vpNA.jpeg

I gotta agree with others. I totally get the Philly pro sport and Pittsburgh pro sports threads here. Anyone who went to penn state knows the way flyers penguins games are when in state college or eagles Steelers games.
Never understood why people want to post about other colleges they salivate over on this board.

Local pro sports I get given what we all experienced while in state college.

Do I have to read these or comment...no...but...just curious why you post about a college team on another college team’s board. Just seems odd.

Especially when....

Reactions: LionDeNittany
1. I was *shocked* to see VT actually go to the basket down by 1 in the final seconds. 95% of the time, the ballgandler dribbles 30 times and chucks up a fadeaway 3.

2. Up 1, 1.3 left, miss the free throw! VT guy accidentally makes it (he banked it in). Opens up the trouble door.

3. All my years watching college hoops, I’ve never seen that pick play on the inbounds work. Good defensive communication by VT there. They’re lucky they kept up the level of play in OT to win.

Reactions: Nitwit
My Tar Heels will be waiting.
Jim is an excellent coach great on details.

Hall of Fame member Jim Boeheim has had a remarkable run as head coach at his alma mater, Syracuse University. Boeheim has guided only winning teams in his tenure and has pushed the Orange into the postseason in all but three of his 44 years. Syracuse has made 34 trips into the NCAA Tournament, including Final Four appearances in 1987, 1996, 2003, 2013, and 2016. The Orange won the national championship in 2003. The architect of numerous remarkable campaigns, Boeheim added another one to the books in 2019-20 in an 18-14 campaign halted by the national pandemic.
Boeheim wrapped up his most recent year as head coach on the Hill ranked second in all-time Division I coaching triumphs. He is also second on the active games coached list, trailing only Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski in the two categories.
Boeheim achieved the ultimate basketball tribute in 2005 when he was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. He was honored again in the offseason, receiving the John R. Wooden “Legends of Coaching” Award in April. That spring he and Connecticut coach Jim Calhoun were the “Spirit of Jimmy V” honorees at the annual V Foundation Gala.
Boeheim enrolled at Syracuse in 1962 and was a walk-on with the basketball team. By Boeheim’s senior season, he was a team captain along with the legendary Dave Bing. The Orange were 22-6 overall that year and earned the program’s second-ever NCAA Tournament berth. In 1969 he turned to a career in coaching and was hired as a graduate assistant at SU by head coach Roy Danforth. In 1976, he was named head coach at his alma mater.
A four-time BIG EAST Coach of the Year, Boeheim has been honored as NABC District II Coach of the Year 10 times and USBWA District II Coach of the Year on four occasions. During the 2000 Final Four he was presented with the Claire Bee Award in recognition of his contributions to the sport. In the fall of 2000, he received Syracuse University’s Arents Award, the school’s highest alumni honor. On February 24, 2002, the University named the Carrier Dome court “Jim Boeheim Court.” Boeheim joined a select group of coaches working the sidelines of a court named after them.
A long-time participant in the USA Basketball program, Boeheim was named 2001 USA Basketball National Coach of the Year. He’s served as an assistant coach for the U.S. Olympic teams that won gold medals in 2008, 2012 and 2016, and the World Cup in 2010 and 2014.
A champion of many charitable causes, Boeheim and his wife started the Jim and Juli Boeheim Foundation. He has lent his time to Coaches vs. Cancer, Boys & Girls Clubs of Syracuse, the Make-A-Wish Foundation, Rescue Mission, Upstate Cancer Center (& Foundation), Crouse Hospital, among others.
In the spring of 2016, Boeheim was presented with the Circle of Honor Award, presented annually by the American Cancer Society to a college coach who has shown extraordinary commitment and leadership with the Coaches vs. Cancer program fundraising, education and promotional initiatives. He received the 2019 Court of Honor Award from the NABC Foundation in 2019. The recognition goes to individuals who have roots in college basketball, value those roots, and have gone on to distinguish themselves in their profession, exhibiting the highest standards of leadership.
Jim and his wife, Juli, are parents of Jimmy, and twins Jack and Jamie. Jim also has a daughter, Elizabeth.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Jim is an excellent coach great on details.

Hall of Fame member Jim Boeheim has had a remarkable run as head coach at his alma mater, Syracuse University. Boeheim has guided only winning teams in his tenure and has pushed the Orange into the postseason in all but three of his 44 years. Syracuse has made 34 trips into the NCAA Tournament, including Final Four appearances in 1987, 1996, 2003, 2013, and 2016. The Orange won the national championship in 2003. The architect of numerous remarkable campaigns, Boeheim added another one to the books in 2019-20 in an 18-14 campaign halted by the national pandemic.
Boeheim wrapped up his most recent year as head coach on the Hill ranked second in all-time Division I coaching triumphs. He is also second on the active games coached list, trailing only Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski in the two categories.
Boeheim achieved the ultimate basketball tribute in 2005 when he was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. He was honored again in the offseason, receiving the John R. Wooden “Legends of Coaching” Award in April. That spring he and Connecticut coach Jim Calhoun were the “Spirit of Jimmy V” honorees at the annual V Foundation Gala.
Boeheim enrolled at Syracuse in 1962 and was a walk-on with the basketball team. By Boeheim’s senior season, he was a team captain along with the legendary Dave Bing. The Orange were 22-6 overall that year and earned the program’s second-ever NCAA Tournament berth. In 1969 he turned to a career in coaching and was hired as a graduate assistant at SU by head coach Roy Danforth. In 1976, he was named head coach at his alma mater.
A four-time BIG EAST Coach of the Year, Boeheim has been honored as NABC District II Coach of the Year 10 times and USBWA District II Coach of the Year on four occasions. During the 2000 Final Four he was presented with the Claire Bee Award in recognition of his contributions to the sport. In the fall of 2000, he received Syracuse University’s Arents Award, the school’s highest alumni honor. On February 24, 2002, the University named the Carrier Dome court “Jim Boeheim Court.” Boeheim joined a select group of coaches working the sidelines of a court named after them.
A long-time participant in the USA Basketball program, Boeheim was named 2001 USA Basketball National Coach of the Year. He’s served as an assistant coach for the U.S. Olympic teams that won gold medals in 2008, 2012 and 2016, and the World Cup in 2010 and 2014.
A champion of many charitable causes, Boeheim and his wife started the Jim and Juli Boeheim Foundation. He has lent his time to Coaches vs. Cancer, Boys & Girls Clubs of Syracuse, the Make-A-Wish Foundation, Rescue Mission, Upstate Cancer Center (& Foundation), Crouse Hospital, among others.
In the spring of 2016, Boeheim was presented with the Circle of Honor Award, presented annually by the American Cancer Society to a college coach who has shown extraordinary commitment and leadership with the Coaches vs. Cancer program fundraising, education and promotional initiatives. He received the 2019 Court of Honor Award from the NABC Foundation in 2019. The recognition goes to individuals who have roots in college basketball, value those roots, and have gone on to distinguish themselves in their profession, exhibiting the highest standards of leadership.
Jim and his wife, Juli, are parents of Jimmy, and twins Jack and Jamie. Jim also has a daughter, Elizabeth.
Jimbo is a scum bag - did he pee his pants again?

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Having Patterson enroll early and join the team is a flat-out genius move. My understanding is NJ high school basketball is shut down - so instead of sitting around he gets to practice every day against great players and learn the system. How far ahead of the curve will he be in the fall?

Maybe he gets a little time and plays 8 minutes a game. It's free - it's a free year. Trey will still have full eligibility.

I didn't read the story but did they mention Antoine is cleared to play? I don't know if he's a player or not based on very limited time last year, but Jay loves him.

Very much looking forward to Tuesday - we'll see about conditioning and rust. We were really cooking before things shut down.

Having Patterson enroll early and join the team is a flat-out genius move. My understanding is NJ high school basketball is shut down - so instead of sitting around he gets to practice every day against great players and learn the system. How far ahead of the curve will he be in the fall?

Maybe he gets a little time and plays 8 minutes a game. It's free - it's a free year. Trey will still have full eligibility.

I didn't read the story but did they mention Antoine is cleared to play? I don't know if he's a player or not based on very limited time last year, but Jay loves him.

Very much looking forward to Tuesday - we'll see about conditioning and rust. We were really cooking before things shut down.

Jay said last week, “Anoine is healthy, has been practicing, and is available to play”. He then went on to mention conditioning and how long it’s been since he played. Sounds promising, but like he needs some more practice.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
I sort of like the Duquesne Dukes this year.
Their schedule is real

Nov 30, 2020vs
Little Rock
L 76-660-1
Dec 2, 2020@
UNCG
W 81-681-1
Dec 4, 2020@
Winthrop
Cancelled
Dec 14, 2020vs
S. Illinois
Cancelled
Dec 16, 2020vs
Loyola-Chi.
Cancelled
Dec 19, 2020@
Richmond
Postponed
Dec 30, 2020@
Saint Louis
Postponed
Jan 2, 2021@
George Wash.
W 75-632-1
Jan 3, 2021@
George Wash.
L 75-732-2
Jan 5, 2021vs
Davidson
L 61-482-3
Jan 9, 2021vs
Fordham
W 48-453-3
Jan 13, 2021@
Dayton
L 72-633-4
Jan 15, 2021@
St. Bona.
L 62-483-5
DATEOPPTIME / TVVENUEBUY TICKETS
Jan 20, 2021vs
Rhode Island
6:00 pm
ESP+
PPG Paints Arena
Jan 27, 2021@
Fordham
6:00 pmRose Hill Gym
Jan 30, 2021vs
Saint Joseph's
7:00 pmKerr Fitness Center
Feb 2, 2021vs
Dayton
9:00 pm
ESPN
Kerr Fitness Center
Feb 7, 2021vs
VCU
4:00 pm
NBCS
Kerr Fitness Center
Feb 13, 2021@
George Mason
7:00 pmEagleBank Arena
Feb 17, 2021@
Davidson
7:00 pmBelk Arena
Feb 20, 2021vs
Massachusetts
6:00 pmPPG Paints Arena
Feb 27, 2021@
La Salle
2:00 pmTom Gola Arena
Mar 3, 2021vs
St. Bona.
6:00 pmPPG Paints Arena

• Love
My son played high school ball against their point guard. Nice player, very short, but can play.
If Maceo not playing, no good.
Defensively, Duquesne was mostly able to contain a St. Bonaventure team which came in averaging 72.5 points a game.

Kyle Lofton led all scorers totaling 23 of his 28 points in the second half, using his fadeaway to succession. The Bonnies did have their troubles from three-point range shooting 12.5% from deep.

St. Bonaventure (6-1, 4-1 Atlantic 10) also had a good game from Jaren Holmes with his 11 points and eight rebounds while Alejandro Vasquez scored 11 points off the bench.

Hughes was able to open the game providing the offensive spark coach Keith Dambrot has looked for from him. Additionally when Duquesne went on its 5:38 scoreless streak in the first half, he was the first voice in a team timeout.

His aggression was not matched by the team in the first half as it shot 38.5% from the field and did not attempt a free throw.

Duquesne’s defense was able to stand tall holding St. Bonaventure to a 34.6% mark. Duquesne drew charges from multiple players which provided a spark.

Despite the offensive struggles, Duquesne’s deficit was 27-23 at halftime.

St. Bonaventure opened the second half on a 10-4 run which extended its advantage to double digits

Duquesne was able to respond as Chad Baker drained a three-point basket as the Bonnies missed 10 straight field goals and were held scoreless for 3:29 of game action.

Ryan Murphy added a couple of three-point baskets and when Weathers converted a triple of his own, Duquesne’s deficit was cut to one point.

Following Weathers’ make, St. Bonaventure began to catch its second wind offensively as Lofton scored four of Bona’s next six points.

Down by eight points, Duquesne attempted to battle back but converted just one of its final eight field goals and in frustration were assessed a technical foul.

Duquesne’s next contest is Wednesday night against Rhode Island at LaRoche University’s Kerr Fitness Center. Tipoff is scheduled for 6 p.m. on ESPN+.

Deep enough to stay within one score of a bad Georgetown team.

Deep enough to stay within one score of a bad Georgetown team.

The loss was disappointing but not overly surprising. Not many teams are 3 deep at PG with players who can step in and not miss a beat. Chris Arcidiacono just doesn’t have the skills and athleticism to start in the Big East. Give credit to Patrick Ewing and Gtown. They played a good game. Anyone see Ewing talking about being asked for ID numerous times at the Garden?

23 for 23 from the foul line for Georgetown, and Villanova again could not shoot the three.
Villanova got to the basket with ridiculous ease, as is their want when they can’t shoot the three.
No one knows live or die by the 3 better than PSU.

Kid from G.A. had a ~3 minute piece on Action News last evening during the 600-630 segment including an interview. Can't recall many other HS "announcements" getting such high profile coverage around here.

Well spoken young man- looks like a great player. Remember when Villanova recruited NYC/NJ and New England (and specifically NOT Philly). Rollie days in my youth- part of why the rest of the Big Five didn't like Cats. Now Jay has a pipeline....

Reactions: NovaPSULuvr
Kid from G.A. had a ~3 minute piece on Action News last evening during the 600-630 segment including an interview. Can't recall many other HS "announcements" getting such high profile coverage around here.

Well spoken young man- looks like a great player. Remember when Villanova recruited NYC/NJ and New England (and specifically NOT Philly). Rollie days in my youth- part of why the rest of the Big Five didn't like Cats. Now Jay has a pipeline....
Maybe the Gerald Henderson Jr. signing with Duke from E.A.- that was on TV too- I recall something from inside the gym. I think Fullington to UNC was part of that team as well- maybe a double announcement (pre- announcement HYPE days)....for whatever reason there just isn't much high school commitment coverage on the major news stations in SEPA...

We see this same post every single year.

This might be Jay Wright's best team yet. Yes, it might be.

They'll be really good. Big guys have to step up as does Antoine (out again, can't catch a break) or one of the real athletic youngsters or Slater. I think they need a real athletic guy to break up their guard trio as they are too similar. Good leadership is there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT