ADVERTISEMENT

This is crazy. Kate Spade

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
Killed here self and this is what a reseller comes up with for an ad?

FRug4uwVkAAdSuP

Killed here self and this is what a reseller comes up with for an ad?

FRug4uwVkAAdSuP

Seems like a mistake that could happen to any company.

Kate Spade is a brand. Not a person.

They probably have the same ad 20x for different brands.

Come hang with Bulgari.

Come hang with Nautica.

LdN

Seems like a mistake that could happen to any company.

Kate Spade is a brand. Not a person.

They probably have the same ad 20x for different brands.

Come hang with Bulgari.

Come hang with Nautica.

LdN

This. And whoever is writing copy for that kind of generic email campaign is likely very junior/young. Kate died 4 years ago and there's been some other stuff going on the last few years. I'd bet whoever wrote it has no clue who she is or how she died.

My wife is in PR and has shown me some horribly insensitive sounding copy she's flagged. It's usually a generational issue where whatever makes it insensitive predates the writer's time as a functioning adult.

Reactions: LionDeNittany
This. And whoever is writing copy for that kind of generic email campaign is likely very junior/young. Kate died 4 years ago and there's been some other stuff going on the last few years. I'd bet whoever wrote it has no clue who she is or how she died.

My wife is in PR and has shown me some horribly insensitive sounding copy she's flagged. It's usually a generational issue where whatever makes it insensitive predates the writer's time as a functioning adult.
+1.

This also explains why most firms have editors, no?

+1.

This also explains why most firms have editors, no?
Yes but not everything requires/gets the same level of screening. Whoever is reviewing these things is focusing on grammar and typos not a deep dive into the content of an 11 word email. Like LDN said, its something that works and is inoffensive for probably 599 of the 600 brands Ulta is generating these emails for. It just isn't getting the time/eyeballs that somebody's super bowl commercial or the copy they're putting together for a segment on GMA is going to get.

Definitely inappropriate and an apology is in order but some staffer at Ulta making 45 or 50 grand a year doesn't need to lose their job over this. I'm sure whoever wrote it has had a worse last few days than anyone (outside of Kate's family/friends) that read it. Everyone gets outraged way too easily. Save it for more productive causes, like firing James Franklin and benching Sean Clifford after every drive that ends with a punt or long field goal attempt.

ADVERTISEMENT