ADVERTISEMENT

This is an exciting era for Penn State football now that sanctions have passed, but.................

Jerademan74

Gold Member
Jun 29, 2011
Atlanta, GA
we should NEVER forget about all the good that Joe Paterno has done for Penn State, and how Jerry Sandusky's actions have marred our schools reputation. Our goal as Penn State alumni and fans is to recognize our history, and now move forward into the next generation of exciting Penn State football. We'll never forget Joe, but James Franklin and his staff are building from the solid foundation he provided and will continue the "success with honor" that Joe will be watching from above! JS should rot in his cell, even though he feels innocent in his perverted mind! One bad apple can't ruin the whole bunch, but a really rotten apple can leave an odor that will slowly but surely dissipate.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
I am as excited for Penn State football as I have been since I was an undergrad in the mid-1980's. There is an energy and a joyousness around the program that I haven't seen in far too long. It is great to have those feelings around Penn State football once again.

But your post got me thinking about how I feel about Penn State as an institution, and I truly do not give a rip about the university anymore. I am done with them, because I know the feeling is mutual.

I am as excited for Penn State football as I have been since I was an undergrad in the mid-1980's. There is an energy and a joyousness around the program that I haven't seen in far too long. It is great to have those feelings around Penn State football once again.

But your post got me thinking about how I feel about Penn State as an institution, and I truly do not give a rip about the university anymore. I am done with them, because I know the feeling is mutual.
I feel much as you do, NewEra. But, as much as I like Franklin and what he's doing, it's hard for me to separate athletics in general from the University itself. Although not the disdain for which I have for the University, I'm afraid my enthusiasm for Penn State football has been forever dampened. Admittedly, this may be due to my age and reverence for tradition. I would encourage students and younger alumni to adopt your attitude.

I too no longer give a crap about the university. It is a cesspool of liars, thieves, cronyism, and god knows what else. What Joe helped to build in 40 years, they managed to destroy in a blink of the eye.

I will always enjoy PSU football, and always thank Joe for what he did, but the university as an institution will never be held in the same esteem as it once did for me.

One thing is clear: these assholes and liars did not deserve to have a man like Joe Paterno. They have gotten rich off of the university that he helped to build, and they themselves did nothing to deserve those riches. And then they just discarded him as soon as they no longer needed him. Screw them. They hopefully will all rot in the bowels of hell someday.

I too no longer give a crap about the university. It is a cesspool of liars, thieves, cronyism, and god knows what else. What Joe helped to build in 40 years, they managed to destroy in a blink of the eye.

I will always enjoy PSU football, and always thank Joe for what he did, but the university as an institution will never be held in the same esteem as it once did for me.

One thing is clear: these assholes and liars did not deserve to have a man like Joe Paterno. They have gotten rich off of the university that he helped to build, and they themselves did nothing to deserve those riches. And then they just discarded him as soon as they no longer needed him. Screw them. They hopefully will all rot in the bowels of hell someday.
Succinct, and well put.

It's also a world class academic institution with terrifically talented students, highly motivated professors, and some of the best researchers anywhere using state of the art facilities to accomplish great things. Let's not get so bogged down in athletics, that we forget what Penn State is really about - education! Oh and creamery ice cream of course.

It's also a world class academic institution with terrifically talented students, highly motivated professors, and some of the best researchers anywhere using state of the art facilities to accomplish great things. Let's not get so bogged down in athletics, that we forget what Penn State is really about - education! Oh and creamery ice cream of course.
I don't see where the point of his post had anything to do with athletics. To the contrary it had to do with the despicable leadership of the University. This is something you won't find in any public relations release, which is not unlike the first sentence of your post, or of what any other university would boast for that matter.

At one time I thought of the Penn State community like a big family room where lots of alums gather with diverse backgrounds, but bound by our mutual interest in a world class university. I haven't left that family room, but I've gotten out of my seat and headed for the door. If I leave, and I get closer every day, I will carry with me the wonderful memories of my days as a student, the friendships I made and still hold, and the nearly 40 years of watching a great man prove to the nation that academics and athletics are not mutually exclusive. If I leave, it will be because the people in charge of the room care only about themselves, and have changed the way the others in the room interact. I now think I might be much happier by walking out the door and observing the proceedings from the outside. I keep hoping things inside the room will change again and I will want to turn around and get back in my seat. Sadly, every day draws me a step closer to the door. I would not be surprised if I leave before the football season starts, but I would also not be surprised if I am still near the door 5 years from now. Like so many, I want to remain a part of the Penn State family, but sometimes you are better off, and happier, in the company of strangers.

Last edited:
At one time I thought of the Penn State community like a big family room where lots of alums gather with diverse backgrounds, but bound by our mutual interest in a world class university. I haven't left that family room, but I've gotten out of my seat and headed for the door. If I leave, and I get closer every day, I will carry with me the great memories of my days as a student, the friendships I made and still hold, and the nearly 40 years of watching a great man prove to the nation that academics and athletics are not mutually exclusive. If I leave, it will be because the people in charge of the room care only about themselves, and have changed the way the others in the room interact. I now think I might be much happier by walking out the door and observing the proceedings from the outside. I keep hoping things inside the room will change and I will want to turn around and get back in my seat. Sadly, every day draws me a step closer to the door. I would not be surprised if I leave before the football season starts, but I would also not be surprised if I am still near the door 5 years from now. Like so many, I want to remain a part of the Penn State family, but sometimes you are better off, and happier, in the company of strangers.
So very well stated. I learned much during the past four years, but the one thing that stands out is that Penn State is nothing particularly special. And in fact, very far from it.

So very well stated. I learned much during the past four years, but the one thing that stands out is that Penn State is nothing particularly special. And in fact, very far from it.
Nits74: I don't agree with your feelings. To me, Penn State is extremely special. Joe's "success with honor" years along with all the great friends I have made from my years as a student and subsequently friends developed as an Alum is what makes me Penn State proud! . State College and the UP campus couldn't be more beautiful and the people more friendly. I refuse to let the ball-less administrators, who capitalized on Joe's greatness and then turn on him to save their own hides, tarnish my strong positive feelings about Penn State. If you let JS, the BOT's, the NCAA (Emmert) and others destroy your love for Penn State, shame on you! These people will all be gone over the next number of years, and replaced with new faces who may be just as ball-less. These people are not what Penn State is all about, it is all the great traditions that have been established, the beautiful location, the teachers. the students and most importantly the alumni that make Penn State great! Don't let these AH's bring you down as they are temporary pawns who will always depend on other for their own survival. In the meantime, WE ARE....and always will be, what PENN STATE is!

Pretty sure I am not talking about athletics here.
Pretty sure I am not talking about athletics here.
Sorry but referring to Penn State as a cesspool fails to recognize all the great things which the university is. I loved Joe and wish the administration acted differently towards him, but Penn State is much more than him, and much more than the administration. You are looking through a narrow lense. Talk to some of the Deans, some professors, some students, some Penn State parents, and some patients at the Hershey Medical School and you get a much broader and much more positive perspective. I guess I missed the part where you were opining on the educational aspects.

Last edited:
Heavy focus?

I'm not exaggerating when I say this, and there's no Joe Paterno hatred in this statement.

But I truly believe that in 25 years, as another generation rises and the older generation fades away: Bill O'Brien and how he led us through the darkest of the dark ages ---- HE (not Paterno) will be looked upon as the most instrumental Head Coach in Penn State's history.

Our currently bright future and the National Championship Runs which are in our future: none of that happens without O'Brien.

I'm not exaggerating when I say this, and there's no Joe Paterno hatred in this statement.

But I truly believe that in 25 years, as another generation rises and the older generation fades away: Bill O'Brien and how he led us through the darkest of the dark ages ---- HE (not Paterno) will be looked upon as the most instrumental Head Coach in Penn State's history.

Our currently bright future and the National Championship Runs which are in our future: none of that happens without O'Brien.

I can understand your positive feelings for O'Brien, but this particular statement reflects either an almost laughable disregard for history or despite your assertion to the contrary, a strong dislike for Paterno.

Sorry but as the head goes, so goes the tail. The old guard BOT are a cesspool. Until that swamp gets drained, we've got a cesspool.

Sorry but referring to Penn State as a cesspool fails to recognize all the great things which the university is. I loved Joe and wish the administration acted differently towards him, but Penn State is much more than him, and much more than the administration. Your looking through a narrow lense. Talk to some of the Deans, some professors, some students, some Penn State parents, and some patients at the Hershey Medical School and you get a much broader and much more positive perspective. I guess I missed the part where you were opining on the educational aspects.

Lol. No chance.

Reactions: fairgambit

Sorry but as the head goes, so goes the tail. The old guard BOT are a cesspool. Until that swamp gets drained, we've got a cesspool.
Don't agree here. Penn State is much more than a few guys at the top.

Reactions: Nitwit

Penn State is wounded but far from destroyed. I actually think the University has made an amazing comeback. I think Joe Paterno might have had a huge role because of his commitment as head coach to support the academic as well as the athletic. I also hear the scandal brought up less frequently. If people want to change things they should continue to support any method to restructure the BOT. If people stay committed almost anything is possible.

Reactions: ChiTownLion

------------------------------------------------------
Hear hear. All of it, hear hear.

At an important, difficult time, Bill O'Brien did a good job. And then he left.

James Franklin is the guy who can do some very special things for the Penn State program. I'll be glad to celebrate his achievements.

I'm not sure why you expect to have any credibility here when you put O'Brien as "the most instrumental Head Coach in Penn State's history." Ahead of a guy who coached here for 61 years, won national championships, and has the most wins in NCAA D-1 football history?

Wow. I think BOB did a great job of holding things together and yes it could have all fallen apart. But in 25 year, you will be hard pressed to find someone who remembers his name.

James Franklin is the guy who can do some very special things for the Penn State program. I'll be glad to celebrate his achievements.

I'm not sure why you expect to have any credibility here when you put O'Brien as "the most instrumental Head Coach in Penn State's history." Ahead of a guy who coached here for 61 years, won national championships, and has the most wins in NCAA D-1 football history?

Joe Paterno started from a base --- that base was a program that had 27 consecutive non-losing seasons. Had finished in the Top 20 4 of the previous 7 years.

Bill O'Brien started from a base --- the most debilitating sanctions in NCAA history had just been administered. Only 3 Top 20 finishes in the previous 7 years. A walk-on QB who nobody had any hope for as his starting QB.

You can't just look at accomplishments. One also must consider the starting spot. O'Brien helped ensure we didn't fall into the valley --- and because of that, we have a very very bright future ahead.

I think we know the genesis of this. Can you say hate?
That (not yours royboy) could have been the single most inane post I've seen on this board.

Last edited:
Wow. I think BOB did a great job of holding things together and yes it could have all fallen apart. But in 25 year, you will be hard pressed to find someone who remembers his name.

"not remember his name"???? Very very very unlikely.

Every PSU student who lived the 2012-2013 football seasons will remember him, at the very least.

We're so lucky to have cjf. A person who actually "gets it" and pulls us up so fast. A few years ago, we were talking about possibly getting some coach who would be put in place solely to de-emphasize football and would be expected by the BoT to lose.

This is an Ohio State fan/alum's point of view. The buildings, classes, students, most of the faculty, and administration didn't make the decisions and actions that led to the Sandusky affair. Those who were responsible are mostly gone and anyone else who may have known something is definitely creating a low profile and keeping their knowledge in private.

So there's no reason to be dissatisfied or upset with PSU today. Individuals who happened to be at PSU did wrong. A University doesn't make decisions independent of individuals. It can't because it isn't a living organism.

This is an Ohio State fan/alum's point of view. The buildings, classes, students, most of the faculty, and administration didn't make the decisions and actions that led to the Sandusky affair. Those who were responsible are mostly gone and anyone else who may have known something is definitely creating a low profile and keeping their knowledge in private.

So there's no reason to be dissatisfied or upset with PSU today. Individuals who happened to be at PSU did wrong. A University doesn't make decisions independent of individuals. It can't because it isn't a living organism.

The people with decision-making power at Penn State continue to make decisions which antagonize most of the regular posters here, and I think it's been demonstrated that these decisions antagonize a large percentage of the alumni as a whole. Forgetting for a minute that we still don't know the whole story and have only been lectured by those in power here about our priorities and our culture, the decisions that continue to be made here do not fall out of the clouds from heaven. They are made by people with agendas that may or may not coincide with mine, so I reserve the right to be as dissatisfied as I care to be. I don't care who's dead, fired, in prison, or hiding out in Pago Pago.

It's ironic that the same people who like to point the finger at the fans and the alums of Penn State for being some kind of sickos, are the same people who had a chance to do something about the whole affair before it became the shit show that it did. A lot of them are still here casting votes at meetings.

I'm very grateful for BOB, he stuck around when no one would have blamed him for leaving and held onto some great recruits (and, as a side point, I think that Paterno stayed too long), but our bright future is in place post-Sandusky because of the foundation that Joe built. I don't see any way that people will credit O'Brien more than Joe, but if they did that'd be a shame.

I am seldom critical of other posters, but your statement is absurd in the extreme. In fact, it is so outside the bounds of rational thought that I will not offer any rebuttal. To do so would give it a dignity it does not deserve.

Reactions: m48tank and nits74

Smoke trees much?

Reactions: fairgambit

I want what he's smoking.

Speaking of the Creamery, has Peachy Paterno ever made it back on the menu? Serious question. Or is there a puddle of it melted next to the statue being stored in Emmert's basement?

Joe Paterno started from a base --- that base was a program that had 27 consecutive non-losing seasons. Had finished in the Top 20 4 of the previous 7 years.

Bill O'Brien started from a base --- the most debilitating sanctions in NCAA history had just been administered. Only 3 Top 20 finishes in the previous 7 years. A walk-on QB who nobody had any hope for as his starting QB.

You can't just look at accomplishments. One also must consider the starting spot. O'Brien helped ensure we didn't fall into the valley --- and because of that, we have a very very bright future ahead.

I want what he's smoking.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
ADVERTISEMENT