ADVERTISEMENT

This Iowa win reminded me of Northwestern 2005

Closer to Illinois in '94 to me. The '05 NW game was a first step for the program to get back.

Last night was the next step to being a legit contender:

- on the road in hostile environment against a good team playing their A game.
- need a TD to win in final minutes
- lots of twists and turns and swings of emotions

Good teams win the 05 NW game. GREAT teams win last night. That's not to say we were w/out fault. It probably says a lot more about this team that they can overcome the turnovers, lackluster red zone and penalties in that type of atmosphere and walk out with the W.

Reactions: 84Lion
Closer to Illinois in '94 to me. The '05 NW game was a first step for the program to get back.

Last night was the next step to being a legit contender:

- on the road in hostile environment against a good team playing their A game.
- need a TD to win in final minutes
- lots of twists and turns and swings of emotions

Good teams win the 05 NW game. GREAT teams win last night. That's not to say we were w/out fault. It probably says a lot more about this team that they can overcome the turnovers, lackluster red zone and penalties in that type of atmosphere and walk out with the W.
I'm too young to remember details on that '94 Illinois game. Is that another where we dominated every single stat, except the score?

I'm too young to remember details on that '94 Illinois game. Is that another where we dominated every single stat, except the score?

It really wasn't like 94 Illinois. In that game we got down 21-0 and stormed all the way back for the late win.

Reactions: wentzel25
Closer to Illinois in '94 to me.

That was my first thought. I shall always consider Kerry Collins' play on "The Drive" as the gold standard by which all other "great" PSU QBs should be judged. Reviewing last night's final drive from the 4th down conversion, based on what I remember of "The Drive," Collins was a lot more methodical and composed. McSorley was incredible (as was Barkley), but I got the impression they were playing "scared to lose" and refused to lose on that basis. Sometimes I think an undefeated record and #4 ranking can work against a team, last night I think it actually helped Penn State. "Let's not lose this!"
Regardless, without a doubt, "The Drive" and last night's incredible performance will both go down in the history books.

ADVERTISEMENT