ADVERTISEMENT

This "Fan Dual" has to be a huge money maker for someone/organization.

PSU-Knocker

Jun 4, 2013
This thing is advertised all over the place and for extended television time; expensive.

Does anybody know who the beneficiary is?

Seems like a privately owned company (per Wikipedia). But I agree with you, their all out push (at least this year) is really in your face, EVERYWHERE.

Its kinda annoying actually.

Reactions: EPC FAN
I don't know who the beneficiary is, but I do know someone that was in 2nd place last week and won $570,000+!!! I know what he told me is legit, but it still has me scratching my head!!! That's a big number!

I don't know who the beneficiary is, but I do know someone that was in 2nd place last week and won $570,000+!!! I know what he told me is legit, but it still has me scratching my head!!! That's a big number!
How much is the cost to get in this game?

Reactions: Victor E. Bell

Wait until Uncle Sam catches wind of his windfall!

Won't look so good then, that's for sure!

This thing is advertised all over the place and for extended television time; expensive.

Private equity firms and the company's founders/executives.

https://www.fanduel.com/about

Someone I know who now works at Twitter and formerly with the NFL told me the league is watching fanduel with great interest.

How much is the cost to get in this game?
The range for Pro football is from $1 to over $1,000 per contest and there is a huge range of events to enter. Prize pool varies, of course, but someone wins big money each week.

Don't forget draft kings, of which 20% is owned by ESPN. These outfits are spending about $4 miilion per day in advertising! That should tell how lucrative it is. It is not for the average Joe. The average Joe has a better shot at winning the lottery. These sites are dueling grounds for "quants", and mathematicians with everyone else nothing but fish.

Don't forget draft kings, of which 20% is owned by ESPN. These outfits are spending about $4 miilion per day in advertising! That should tell how lucrative it is. It is not for the average Joe. The average Joe has a better shot at winning the lottery. These sites are dueling grounds for "quants", and mathematicians with everyone else nothing but fish.

Saw an article that said as much. Dudes with computer models are winning all the money. Also it's not considered gambling because it is a game of skill, rather that a game of chance, they say.

The company I looked at, PenTech, is a company from Edinburgh, Scotland. They have been involved with online gambling for quite some time now. I didn't go further, but the Barclay's Premier League would seem to be logical. They advertise gambling on the boards around the pitch. It's all out in the open.

Mitch Albom notes some NFL owners, including Jones and Kraft have ownership interest in fantasy leagues, though he doesn't indicate which:

http://www.freep.com/story/opinion/2015/09/20/nfl-fantasy-leagues/72481732/

It's getting real old real fast for me. Fan Duel picks of the game by announcers before games...commercial every break. The winners aren't picking who the announcers say, otherwise the pot would be split a million ways. It's the techie nerds that are winning this, moneyball style.

It's getting real old real fast for me. Fan Duel picks of the game by announcers before games...commercial every break. The winners aren't picking who the announcers say, otherwise the pot would be split a million ways. It's the techie nerds that are winning this, moneyball style.

PT Barnum was right.

Bob Kraft is a part owner of Draft Kings. It's no coincidence that the two jabronies jumping up and down in the commercial are wearing blue and red jerseys and the one is a "12."

I have played fantasy football for about 14 years with the same group of guys (with some moving in and out of the league) and now it's to the point where WE're sick of hearing about it and seeing it. I have had many conversations about the oversaturation of DK and FD commercials with one of the other charter members of our league.

How this is not considered gambling is due to a judicial decision handed down some years ago which says it is a "skill" game and not a "luck" game which anybody who ever played FF can tell you is complete BS. I have to think the skids were greased to get such a decision but that's probably just me being too cynical (*ahem*).

But anyway I have seen some very interesting articles in my quest to find out what's up with all this and here are links to some.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...o-increase-fantasy-focus-amid-draftkings-deal

http://fortune.com/2015/09/24/draftkings-jason-robins-40-under-40/

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...h-to-win-money-playing-daily-fantasy-football

The last one is my favorite. If you think you can beat the people playing these daily leagues, good luck. Guys are putting 300-500 rosters in per week.

From one of the articles:

"All this is legal in most states—for now. The passage of the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006 left room for “games of skill,” opening the door to new entrants and revenue streams. Today dozens of companies are engaged in the practice, including CBS, Disney, and Yahoo. But DraftKings and FanDuel control 95% of the daily-fantasy market, estimates Eilers Research, and for now DraftKings appears to have the edge. “DraftKings is outspending FanDuel by 4X,” says Eilers partner Adam Krejcik. “So they’re seeing the result.”

Nowhere is that more apparent than in Robins’ luxury suite at Gillette Stadium, the only two-floor suite the venue offers. Inside, former Patriots player Deion Branch reviews his DraftKings lineup on his phone. (He was paid a fee to be here, but he’s close with Patriots owner Bob Kraft, who invested in DraftKings.) Twenty DraftKings employees mill about, decked out in company apparel. In the corner is a clutch of gamers who won a DraftKings contest with the ultimate prize: a visit to the real thing. Televisions in the suite are all set to “DKTV,” a DraftKings-branded channel that runs an endless loop of promotional videos about the company."

Saw an article that said as much. Dudes with computer models are winning all the money. Also it's not considered gambling because it is a game of skill, rather that a game of chance, they say.

You could say the exact same thing about poker tournaments. However, those are certainly gambling.

Its just ridiculous. As has been mentioned, I have heard that it is very difficult to win in this thing, hence the HUGE advertising budget these fantasy companies have. I had also read about people generating and submitting hundreds of picks etc.

Also, let's think about something here. There are maybe 120 players in the league that get drafted each week? I don't play fantasy, but its just skill position players and one defense? If everyone is drafting from the same pool, it seems even less likely a skill game and more logically a "luck" game closely related to gambling?

I'm tired of hearing about every schmoes fantasy team, I truly love football and feel that fantasy individualizes a great team sport(hence the constant running ticker of players yards, td's, etc on the bottom of your screen every sunday). It really just serves as another tentacle for the NFL and ESPN to get into their viewers pockets. The NFL is beginning to be insufferable to me with the gross commercialization of the sport, that ship sailed at ESPN years ago. Does anyone find it a little odd that ESPN owns 20% of one of these entities at all? Conflict of interest much?

Reactions: jjsocrates

What do you need to know? It's obviously a racket designed to avoid anti-gambling laws, with high profits to those running it and easily manipulated. They are going to jail but not before they fleece a lot of suckers.

Conflict of interest much?

How about a team owner having a piece?

Look at this hurricane coming. I heard the whole gamut from they're going to postpone the Eagles-Skins game and play it in week 8, to wait and see. We were wondering how we were going to make that fair to the guys in the league who were going to lose players to that. Then my buddy said "what do you think these websites are going to do?" One site (so I hear) demands that you lock in your roster on Thursday. If they don't play that Eagles game they're going to have to refund the whole week or else go out of business... up to them I suppose.

Then yesterday morning I heard the NFL decided they were playing the game no matter what. As a matter of public safety I would think that decision would normally be put off till at least late today when better forecasts were available. Again, cynical me, but I think these fantasy sites played into such a decision.

How about a team owner having a piece?

Look at this hurricane coming. I heard the whole gamut from they're going to postpone the Eagles-Skins game and play it in week 8, to wait and see. We were wondering how we were going to make that fair to the guys in the league who were going to lose players to that. Then my buddy said "what do you think these websites are going to do?" One site (so I hear) demands that you lock in your roster on Thursday. If they don't play that Eagles game they're going to have to refund the whole week or else go out of business... up to them I suppose.

Then yesterday morning I heard the NFL decided they were playing the game no matter what. As a matter of public safety I would think that decision would normally be put off till at least late today when better forecasts were available. Again, cynical me, but I think these fantasy sites played into such a decision.

Good point, I tend to think cynically as well when it comes to money, most of the time proven right. ESPN does nothing if not for money, same with the NFL, so no surprise this could play into their decision to play the games this weekend.

Reactions: Beech Cricker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT