ADVERTISEMENT

*** THIS BOARD IS NOT GOING AWAY ***

I really don't understand why PSU hasn't sponsored a board. In the new digital world, business is about ENGAGEMENT. the more engaged a prospect is, the more likely they'll spend money...tickets, parking, food, swag. If someone doesn't know the coach, the players or "inside baseball". they are less likely to engage.

If anyone is unfamiliar with the Amazon Flywheel this is the basis of bezos. And it seems to be working just fine. Create a great user experience>leads to more users>leads to more content>which leads back to more user.

Perhaps @Tom McAndrew or someone in the know can chime in.

AmazonFlywheel_Updated.png
They’re a state entity. Can you imagine them trying to moderate a board (and the first amendment hilarity that would ensue)?

Reactions: LafayetteBear
".rivals.com" would suggest otherwise. Rivals has nothing to do with the sale between BWI and On3.
If the other poster is correct, that On3 only bought the print assets, then the "BWI" name can likely be retained. If they bought all trademarks associated with the business, then Rivals will need to find a new name.
Coman Publishing bought the print assets and I'm guessing the trademark rights to BWI. ON3 indcates that the "magazine" is coming their way, yet their site doesn't indicate that the PSU section will be called BWI. Any number of possibilities there.

Reactions: psugrad85
How could PSU host a discussion forum where recruiting is inevitably going to be discussed?

They’re a state entity. Can you imagine them trying to moderate a board (and the first amendment hilarity that would ensue)?
The bigger problem is that the NCAA prohibits the school/coaches from talking about recruits before they sign.

Reactions: pioneerlion83
I would like to hear from Tom before making any decisions about migrating to a new board. I'm intrinsically opposed to paying for any Penn State/recruiting news (on any site, with a possible exception for Audrey Snyder and Andrew Callahan) simply because it is available for free pretty much anywhere else if you choose to look. I am also not a fan of the writers of this site save Phil (Tom is not a paid employee AFAIK, otherwise he'd be on the list too). There is no need to pay for recruiting news when you can follow a recruit on social media and see his responses to questions and/or edits that tell you what he's thinking. I guess there are those who desire more, but I'm not one of them. Actual 'Penn State Football' articles aren't worth paying for either since you can watch Franklin pressers on YouTube, twitter, Instagram, etc.

The true 'goldmine' here is the McAndrew Board where you can connect with and befriend others with Penn State football as a line through all other interests and topics. My guess is Tom can't say anything right now or he would. Let's be patient and see what happens.
He could like your post as a signal if true.

Reactions: Midnighter2
Unless there is something I'm missing and my understand of business and logic is failng me, this board is going nowhere. BWI was sold, not Rivals/Yahoo. The name will change. I presume the $99 subscription will still be active for a premium Rivals PSU football board.

Below is what I wrote on another thread. I created a new one to end the spiraling and despair that is going on.

I presume Tom or someone from BWI will show up at some point with some details to clarify what exactly will happen. IOWA IOWA IOWA!!

-----------------------------------------------------

Rivals was not sold by Yahoo. Phil had some sort of arrangement with Rivals (then Yahoo) whereby the two collaborated. Back in the day, Phil brought his deep knowledge of PSU and existing customer base and Rivals provided the tech platform to take BWI to the internet.
By my estimation, all that changed is that On3 bought BWI and they can do whatever they want with the assets Phil sold them. I suspect all that will change here on Rivals is the logo and URL. The only question for us free-loaders is whether the "Lions Den" and "McAndrew" were property of BWI and if the names will change.

Here are the broader questions as I see them.
- Who owns the $99 premium subscriptions that some of you pay? I presume it's Rivals and not BWI. That is why ON3 is offering a $1 subscription to try and lure subscribers to stick with BWI. If the $99 sub transferred, there would be no deal.
-Who paid the BWI staff such as Ryan Snyder? Are they BWI employees or Rivals/Yahoo employees. I presume they are BWI employees and are becoming On3 employees. Questions would revolve around terms of the sale. Did Phil negotiate a contract for his staff to have a job for X amount of time? Are there any restrictions that would prevent BWI staff from leaving BWI to work for Yahoo if they desired?

IMHO, some of the people may change and you may need to bookmark a new URL, but for those looking to keep the the existing ability to call each other names, wait for Midnighter to curate half-naked women to ogle instead of googling it yourself, and occasionally talk about PSU football, very little will change.
IIRC, The McAndrew Board pre-dates Rivals, Yahoo, and even Phil’s BWI interest; as it was on the old plotit website (run by Scott (?) [may be Rest In Peace] back in the early 90’s. Hence, if Tom took care of his branding and trademarks throughout this almost 30 year journey (and I hope he has), Tom should own the McAndrew Board naming/branding/content.

Hopefully Tom is able to migrate the cAndrew Board users and accounts to a new web host site.

Reactions: Sharkies
Coman Publishing bought the print assets and I'm guessing the trademark rights to BWI. ON3 indcates that the "magazine" is coming their way, yet their site doesn't indicate that the PSU section will be called BWI. Any number of possibilities there.
If I had a guess, the new site will also provide a link to read the magazine in PDF format. Now you have to go to bluewhiteonline.com to read the digital format. Maybe they are deciding on if they should use Blue White Online. If Rivals owns anything, it would be the 3 letters BWI, not Blue White Illustrated. It seems like all the other rivals sites are the school.rivals.com like ohiostate.rivals.com and notredame.rivals.com. I wonder if the fact that it is bwi.rivals.com is an issue.

I'm venturing over here from the wrestling board, where I'm a regular, to express concern over what'll happen to that board, which may be a smaller fish to the buyer relative to the football board but which I'd be disappointed to see disappeared or moved to a subscription. The lack of clarity so far is troubling.

One particularly troubling scenario, which some are speculating could be the case, is where the new site imports the Rivals content to the paywalled site. I'd love to hear from a mod as to whether that's the plan.

The reason that scenario would be troubling is because posters and commenters still hold the copyright to their content, and the license we all provided, though broad, does not include reselling it. Thus, sticking existing Rivals message board content behind a paywall would exceed the license restriction such works were created and amount to copyright infringement, absent a waiver and release, and/or possible buyout of individual posters' content, which I can't imagine happening.

Maybe that's not the plan, and the new owner would be well within their rights to kill these boards entirely and start from scratch. But part of the value of these boards is their institutional memory; being able to search for what we were all saying about a certain recruit 6 or 7 years ago, for instance. But I don't see how displaying past content is consistent with a paywalled site, because Yahoo!/Rivals' license doesn't cover it. And killing the old content would feel like an act of bad faith.

I'm venturing over here from the wrestling board, where I'm a regular, to express concern over what'll happen to that board, which may be a smaller fish to the buyer relative to the football board but which I'd be disappointed to see disappeared or moved to a subscription. The lack of clarity so far is troubling.

One particularly troubling scenario, which some are speculating could be the case, is where the new site imports the Rivals content to the paywalled site. I'd love to hear from a mod as to whether that's the plan.

The reason that scenario would be troubling is because posters and commenters still hold the copyright to their content, and the license we all provided, though broad, does not include reselling it. Thus, sticking existing Rivals message board content behind a paywall would exceed the license restriction such works were created and amount to copyright infringement, absent a waiver and release, and/or possible buyout of individual posters' content, which I can't imagine happening.

Maybe that's not the plan, and the new owner would be well within their rights to kill these boards entirely and start from scratch. But part of the value of these boards is their institutional memory; being able to search for what we were all saying about a certain recruit 6 or 7 years ago, for instance. But I don't see how displaying past content is consistent with a paywalled site, because Yahoo!/Rivals' license doesn't cover it. And killing the old content would feel like an act of bad faith.
It's amazing to see how bent people get about a message board, and the depth of stupidity on display. Go ahead and file a lawsuit--I'm sure it'll be highly successful.

Reactions: heckmans
It's amazing to see how bent people get about a message board, and the depth of stupidity on display. Go ahead and file a lawsuit--I'm sure it'll be highly successful.
Well, I probably won't file a copyright lawsuit. I'll probably instead create an online fill-in-the-blank DMCA takedown form so others can submit and force the host to remove the infringing content. But I suppose you're also an IP lawyer, given your quick assessment of my "stupidity on display" so I'm happy to be enlightened as to where I'm wrong, if you've got the time.

Well, I probably won't file a copyright lawsuit. I'll probably instead create an online fill-in-the-blank DMCA takedown form so others can submit and force the host to remove the infringing content. But I suppose you're also an IP lawyer, given your quick assessment of my "stupidity on display" so I'm happy to be enlightened as to where I'm wrong, if you've got the time.
Sure, go ahead. Bitch about something you don't even pay for.

Sure, go ahead. Bitch about something you don't even pay for.
If a new message board takes your existing content and puts it behind a paywall so even you can't see it without first paying and you don't bitch about it, I suppose you deserve to be taken advantage of. I value my contributions more than you value yours, evidently.

The fact that no moderator has commented nor has there been an official announcement tells me the deal is yet to formalized. Some details must still be unsolved. Had it been closed, thwould be publicly starting to get people to,roll,over as it it just a few weeks away.

Perhaps news was leaked to screw the deal. Or for leverage on a better deal. Or it just leaked.

Is this a big enough deal for the sports news biz to jump on? Maybe check with Sources?

If a new message board takes your existing content and puts it behind a paywall so even you can't see it without first paying and you don't bitch about it, I suppose you deserve to be taken advantage of. I value my contributions more than you value yours, evidently.
No, I just don’t value posts about a football team or dudes rolling around on the floor in tights enough to care about copyright laws. But you do you if you think your posts are so important….and if you’re dumb enough to think it’ll all transfer to the new board of a rival company.

Well, just this week he admitted he is an asshole.....🤷🏽

The fact that no moderator has commented nor has there been an official announcement tells me the deal is yet to formalized. Some details must still be unsolved. Had it been closed, thwould be publicly starting to get people to,roll,over as it it just a few weeks away.

Perhaps news was leaked to screw the deal. Or for leverage on a better deal. Or it just leaked.

Is this a big enough deal for the sports news biz to jump on? Maybe check with Sources?
Another one without a clue. They can’t comment because of the current Rivals.com contract. It’s signed, sealed and delivered. Just make sure the tinfoil hat is tight before venturing into crazy land.

The reason that scenario would be troubling is because posters and commenters still hold the copyright to their content, and the license we all provided, though broad, does not include reselling it.
No disrespect intended, but you obviously didn't read the small print when you registered. Please remain calm....I'm confident that TomMc et al are savvy enough to have negotiated hosting access to a free Wrestling Board, regardless if it's on Rivals or elsewhere.

The key to life is being patient and adaptive.

Reactions: RandyL and tikk10
I’m not worried about it. I’ll wait until we receive direct communication from those who own this site.

Reactions: bison13

I value your posts more than his/her/them too.

No disrespect intended, but you obviously didn't read the small print when you registered. Please remain calm....I'm confident that TomMc et al are savvy enough to have negotiated hosting access to a free Wrestling Board, regardless if it's on Rivals or elsewhere.

The key to life is being patient and adaptive.

Actually, I definitely read the fine print. And while I'm speculating, sure, it's reasonable speculation given the silence and appearance of two identically-named boards at the new place.

Actually, I definitely read the fine print. And while I'm speculating, sure, it's reasonable speculation given the silence and appearance of two identically-named boards at the new place.
Please enlighten us as to why your wrestling posts (or my own drivel), on a forum you didn’t pay for, is important enough to get bent about.

I would like to hear from Tom before making any decisions about migrating to a new board. I'm intrinsically opposed to paying for any Penn State/recruiting news (on any site, with a possible exception for Audrey Snyder and Andrew Callahan) simply because it is available for free pretty much anywhere else if you choose to look. I am also not a fan of the writers of this site save Phil (Tom is not a paid employee AFAIK, otherwise he'd be on the list too). There is no need to pay for recruiting news when you can follow a recruit on social media and see his responses to questions and/or edits that tell you what he's thinking. I guess there are those who desire more, but I'm not one of them. Actual 'Penn State Football' articles aren't worth paying for either since you can watch Franklin pressers on YouTube, twitter, Instagram, etc.

The true 'goldmine' here is the McAndrew Board where you can connect with and befriend others with Penn State football as a line through all other interests and topics. My guess is Tom can't say anything right now or he would. Let's be patient and see what happens.

Well that’s not very nice

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT