ADVERTISEMENT

This board is a dud

NittanyLionRoar

May 17, 2011
A lot of you need to buck up right about now. The team you root for is going to a NY6 bowl for the 3rd time in 4 years! The CFP committee picked us over some very good teams like Alabama, Notre Dame, Auburn, Michigan, and Utah. This, after everyone in the cfb world pegged us for 8 or 9 wins this year.

This complaining is also disrespectful to our opponent. Memphis has been very good for some time now. This is exciting for their players who practiced and shed as much blood and sweat to get here as ours did.

I’m embarrassed at how some of you are acting. If you’re unhappy, I wish you’d just stay silent and not infect those who want to enjoy it. Come on, you only get so much PSU football in your life and only so many bowls like this. Enjoy it.

A lot of you need to buck up right about now. The team you root for is going to a NY6 bowl for the 3rd time in 4 years! The CFP committee picked us over some very good teams like Alabama, Notre Dame, Auburn, Michigan, and Utah. This, after everyone in the cfb world pegged us for 8 or 9 wins this year.

This complaining is also disrespectful to our opponent. Memphis has been very good for some time now. This is exciting for their players who practiced and shed as much blood and sweat to get here as ours did.

I’m embarrassed at how some of you are acting. If you’re unhappy, I wish you’d just stay silent and not infect those who want to enjoy it. Come on, you only get so much PSU football in your life and only so many bowls like this. Enjoy it.

This is a great opportunity to go to a New Years 6 bowl! Exactly, do not take Memphis lightly and I hope the team isn't either!

Teams with worse conference records got better bowls. And, by the way, December 28 is not New Years. But this is what we have come to expect from the BIG. They are most definitely not our ally.
It would be nice if we could arrange a trade for a different bowl, but probably nobody would want to switch because Cotton Bowls have been irrelevant since 1975. Expect to see the sun glinting off all of the empty seats at this game.

Reactions: JJTopp99
Teams with worse conference records got better bowls. And, by the way, December 28 is not New Years. But this is what we have come to expect from the BIG. They are most definitely not our ally.
It would be nice if we could arrange a trade for a different bowl, but probably nobody would want to switch because Cotton Bowls have been irrelevant since 1975. Expect to see the sun glinting off all of the empty seats at this game.
The sun? Isn’t this game indoors?

And better match-ups. It is just a total insult to Penn State. Nothing against Memphis, but who even knew they had a D-1 team? A real AD would have declined and allowed Minnesota to take our place. Perhaps we could have then had the Outback against a team who just beat Bama?! And in warm weather!

And better match-ups. It is just a total insult to Penn State. Nothing against Memphis, but who even knew they had a D-1 team? A real AD would have declined and allowed Minnesota to take our place. Perhaps we could have then had the Outback against a team who just beat Bama?! And in warm weather!

Memphis is in the same division as Houston, who throttled us a few years ago in a bowl game. Show some respect, get out of your mom’s basement and get a job.

I will repeat something I say a lot on this board. College football is entertainment, just like a movie or a concert. If you don't like the product, you have the right to complain. After 40 years of season tickets, I no longer attend games, but when I did this type of bowl game, after a 10-2 season, would have me bitching and moaning too. Penn State got shafted pure and simple. I would certainly not spend my time, or money, to travel to Dallas for what amounts to watching a B Movie. Others certainly feel differently and will be there will bells on. So be it.

Memphis is in the same division as Houston, who throttled us a few years ago in a bowl game. Show some respect, get out of your mom’s basement and get a job.
Are you seriously comparing the state of PSU football now to that game in the aftermath of 2011? I have plenty of respect for Memphis- let them play a rematch with Temple!

MacNit will never get out of his mother's basement and find a job. Simply impossible with his skill set.
You come to that conclusion because you are not smart enough to know when someone insults you? Amazing keyboard tough guy. Do you really think this 10-2 team with our schedule deserves this dud of a matchup? If you do, knock yourself out. I just respectfully and vehemently disagree.

Last edited:
Reactions: nits74
You have to go pretty deep in our own conference to find a worse bowl matchup than ours! But we are the Conference piñata - Sandy likes it that way!

Reactions: nits74 and 83wuzme
Stay the f--k home , who needs fans like you .

There isn't an AD alive that would turn down an NY6 Bowl invite to play in the Outback Bowl. Sorry you are salty about the opponent but this is still a great opportunity for the program.

I respect Memphis.
I am happy we got an NY6 bowl game
I hope we show up a support the team.
I hope the team excels and grows toward a run in next years CFP.

On the other hand the B1G is corrupt to the core snd shameless. And no self appointed loudmouth and/or pseudo dictator on this board will stop me from expressing that fact. Disagreement among fans in a fan base this size is healthy and to be expected. Rant all you want, it will not go away.

Last edited:
This is a great opportunity to go to a New Years 6 bowl! Exactly, do not take Memphis lightly and I hope the team isn't either!
Temple beat Memphis. Why not just just play Temple in Scranton? Makes more sense than playing Memphis in Dallas.

The same people pissing and moaning about the matchup would be complaining we got screwed out of a NY6 game if we had landed in the Citrus Bowl instead.

Change Citrus to Outback since we couldn't go to the Citrus this year - but yea your point and the OP's point stand. This board would be in complete meltdown mode about how we got screwed out of all NY6 bowl games and how did team "X" get picked for the Cotton Bowl over us and our record/strength of schedule.

Reality is that Franklin has led this team to the Rose, Fiesta and now Cotton bowl which is helluva accomplishment for this program and we'll likely be in the hunt again next year.

I will repeat something I say a lot on this board. College football is entertainment, just like a movie or a concert. If you don't like the product, you have the right to complain. After 40 years of season tickets, I no longer attend games, but when I did this type of bowl game, after a 10-2 season, would have me bitching and moaning too. Penn State got shafted pure and simple. I would certainly not spend my time, or money, to travel to Dallas for what amounts to watching a B Movie. Others certainly feel differently and will be there will bells on. So be it.
Whether you like the match up or not, a NY6 bowl is not a B movie....the Citrus, Outback and all the others are a B movie regardless of the matchup.

The first paragraph of this post is so petty. And Cotton Bow is considered a Nee Years 6 Bowl, and is more prestigious then Citrus and Outback. They re-formatted the bowls to allow the playoffs and a NY6 bowl to be played on a Saturday, for more viewership

if you are referring to Wisconsin, you have no idea how the committee works. They reward wins more than they punish losses. Wisconsin’s win over Minnesota compared better to our loss to Minnesota. Quit your whining and get over it

Great.

The first paragraph of this post is so petty. And Cotton Bow is considered a Nee Years 6 Bowl, and is more prestigious then Citrus and Outback. They re-formatted the bowls to allow the playoffs and a NY6 bowl to be played on a Saturday, for more viewership

if you are referring to Wisconsin, you have no idea how the committee works. They reward wins more than they punish losses. Wisconsin’s win over Minnesota compared better to our loss to Minnesota. Quit your whining and get over it
The Cotton Bowl was prestigious in the 70’s, and if you plan to watch it NYD you will be three days late.
This was an unfavorable matchup for PSU. If we win, big deal, “ it was only Memphis “ . If we lose, we will hear, “ you lost to Memphis !? “. Their head coach is leaving because it is Memphis. Win or lose, we would be better off playing Bama, Auburn or even USC.

Reactions: nits74

I’m a complicated guy. I’m capable of being excited for the Cotton Bowl and pissed off that we got screwed out of the Rose all at the same time.

The Cotton Bowl was prestigious in the 70’s, and if you plan to watch it NYD you will be three days late.
This was an unfavorable matchup for PSU. If we win, big deal, “ it was only Memphis “ . If we lose, we will hear, “ you lost to Memphis !? “. Their head coach is leaving because it is Memphis. Win or lose, we would be better off playing Bama, Auburn or even USC.
So shit on the bowl we got in (which is also shitting on our players) because we got screwed...makes sense.

Its apparent that being a PSU Football Fan requires belief that:
The media (example Herbie and Klatt)
The college football playoff committee (even though membership changes almost every year)
The commissioner of the Big Ten
The referees of the Big Ten
Our very own position coaches, certainly the coordinators and sometimes the HC:
Conspire to keep the program from achieving success. I probably forgot other individuals or entities, so feel free to add participants in perpetuating our misery.Do you think they actually meet? It sure seems like a coordinated effort when I read here.

Whether you like the match up or not, a NY6 bowl is not a B movie....the Citrus, Outback and all the others are a B movie regardless of the matchup.
As a consumer, if you don't make the playoffs, all the rest of the bowls are about matchups and venue. I would have much preferred to play Alabama in the Citrus on New Years Day than this dog. The national interest in the game would be far greater and a win would mean much more. Yes, I get the message than we can tell recruits we played in a New Years 6. Yippie. I just don't buy the idea that it would mean more than a win on New Years Day, in Florida, over the Tide.

As a consumer, if you don't make the playoffs, all the rest of the bowls are about matchups and venue. I would have much preferred to play Alabama in the Citrus on New Years Day than this dog. The national interest in the game would be far greater and a win would mean much more. Yes, I get the message than we can tell recruits we played in a New Years 6. Yippie. I just don't buy the idea that it would mean more than a win on New Years Day, in Florida, over the Tide.

We could not have gone to the Citrus bowl this year. If not NY6 it would have been Auburn in the Outback or Tennessee in the Gator.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Its apparent that being a PSU Football Fan requires belief that:
The media (example Herbie and Klatt)
The college football playoff committee (even though membership changes almost every year)
The commissioner of the Big Ten
The referees of the Big Ten
Our very own position coaches, certainly the coordinators and sometimes the HC:
Conspire to keep the program from achieving success. I probably forgot other individuals or entities, so feel free to add participants in perpetuating our misery.Do you think they actually meet? It sure seems like a coordinated effort when I read here.
But it’s not too far fetched to think there is some anti-PSU bias out there after the way Joe alienated people with his success with honor mantra and then the Sandusky mess. If you don’t think there are a ton of people who hate Penn State then you’re naive. That hatred may not be a conspiracy, but it certainly influences things....I’ve seen way too many snubs to think it’s just coincidence.

ADVERTISEMENT