ADVERTISEMENT

Things we should know

Harrisburg Dave

Dec 29, 2016
1. The running back “room” has been incredibly overrated,

2. The tight end room has been overrated.

3. The OL has been overrated.

4. Sean Clifford may not be an elite quarterback, but he is certainly better than average.

5. Those of us, including me, who thought this looked like one of the least talented teams of the past ten years were wrong. The defense can dominate games with five outstanding players.

6. You live and die by the portal. Without AK and DT the defense has holes. Without at least an average backup quarterback on the roster this team was facing disaster.

7. Iowa had almost everything go their way yesterday. Field position, turnovers, and injuries. It still took them until a few minutes left in the fourth quarter to win. This despite an historically terrible game played by the backup quarterback and poor coaching that led to an incredible number of false starts by the OL.

8. The top teams in the B1G are tOSU, PSU "when Clifford is healthy", Michigan, Iowa, Michigan State in that order. When Clifford can't play PSU is no better than fifth or sixth.

9. If insanity is defined as doing something over and over again and expecting a different result, then the Franklin lovers are insane. A team that is unable to beat rated teams on the road better than PSU is not elite, and by CJF standards that is what we have to be to be successful.

10. Does anyone look at the roster and expect that next year this team will challenge for the Top Ten?

11. Iowa should drop in the ratings, despite beating us.

Last edited:
#9. I don’t think there is a poster on this board that thinks PSU is elite. I love that Franklin aspires to be elite. I’m sure other coaches do also
Your other points are mostly valid

Reactions: bison13
From what I saw with Clifford PSU is the better team. Elite status is near. Stacking recruiting classes which are in the top 5 is critical to achieve that status. If this team can run the remainder of the schedule they can be in the elite discussion. I cannot predict the future but I think next years team will be very talented as well.

Reactions: hlstone and bison13
1. The running back “room” has been incredibly overrated,

2. The tight end room has been overrated.

3. The OL has been overrated.

4. Sean Clifford may not be an elite quarterback, but he is certainly better than average.

5. Those of us, including me, who thought this looked like one of the least talented teams of the past ten years were wrong. The defense can dominate games with five outstanding players.

6. You live and die by the portal. Without AK and DT the defense has holes. Without at least an average backup quarterback on the roster this team was facing disaster.

7. Iowa had almost everything go their way yesterday. Field position, turnovers, and injuries. It still took them until a few minutes left in the fourth quarter to win. This despite an historically terrible game played by the backup quarterback and poor coaching that led to an incredible number of false starts by the OL.

8. The top teams in the B1G are tOSU, PSU "when Clifford is healthy", Michigan, Iowa, Michigan State in that order. When Clifford can't play PSU is no better than fifth or sixth.

9. If insanity is defined as doing something over and over again and expecting a different result, then the Franklin lovers are insane. A team that is unable to beat rated teams on the road better than PSU is not elite, and by CJF standards that is what we have to be to be successful.

10. Does anyone look at the roster and expect that next year this team will challenge for the Top Ten?

11. Iowa should drop in the ratings, despite beating us.
This team while pretty good, had/has depth issues from the very beginning. The loss of Mustipher hurt almost as bad as the loss of Clifford. The only real elite depth on the team is in the secondary.

Reactions: bison13
This team while pretty good, had/has depth issues from the very beginning. The loss of Mustipher hurt almost as bad as the loss of Clifford. The only real elite depth on the team is in the secondary.
I actually think the loss of lovett early cost the game. He's the only back we have that can make people miss and outrun linebackers. If he would have been able to get 10 carries plus a couple receptions I think there would have been a few first downs while Roberson was playing

They clearly are not. And neither is Iowa. They may rise to #2 this week but they will be handed a loss along the way. I doubt they finish in the top 15 (nor will we).

This was a fraud of a game in the sense that it was promoted as #3 vs. #4. I remember PSU vs. Michigan in 1994. That was a real top 5 matchup. This was a joke. Reminded me of the year that Kansas and Missouri both somehow made it into the top 2.
Not so sure there are any “Elite” teams this year. Maybe Ohio State on offense and Georgia on defense.

ADVERTISEMENT