ADVERTISEMENT

Things that I will miss: re BWI McAndrew Board

I started before Arrington's recruitment, obviously under a diffetent name. I am honestly stunned at this news. I am not an insider or frequent poster, but I feel as though I know everybody here. This is truly sad news for me. I love this board and the information I've picked up here over the 26 ish years.

My 15YO daughter was so hurt by my disappointment that she has made it her mission to develop a replacement free board. She is actually pretty good at programming. And yes, she says she can program thread view.
I started around the same time. The only time I changed my posting name was when I switched from Earthlink to Verizon and had to go from Oakton_Dave to the current version. I'd probably hang on for a $1, but with the $100 increase looming, I'm going call it, now.

It's been a heck of a ride, and it feels like a favorite restaurant is closing. Such is life. Thanks to Tom for all you did, and thanks to the many good posters who made this a great place to talk Penn State, enjoy a lot of laughs, celebrate, mourn, debate, and waste a lot of time. It's been a great community, and I'll miss it.

God Bless.

Last edited:
I remember using the board on 9/11 for updates, specifically on the crash in PA. My sister had recently moved somewhere in the vicinity of the Shanksville site-I didn't know exactly where, and I couldn't get through to any of my family on the phone. It ends up she lives about 5 mi/15 min from the site, but according to my mom she didn't hear anything with 4 young kids in the house and the hills probably absorbing much of the noise...although it so quiet up there.
I will miss and feel more than a little nostalgia when I remember some of the surprising off topics and behavior. I learned what boillo and pitza (sp?, the northern PA version), took in some tech advice-I didn't need or ask for at the time, and weathered some trolls and self-subscribed insiders-even empathized over behavior directed towards some of them.
Personally, when dealing with high school and even college kids, things are so uncertain and dynamic, I really don't want to pay for information that is equally uncertain and dynamic. I leaned this with experiences such as talking about Penn State football in the early 80s with an adult friend who seemed to know what he was talking about and told me the play of a certain LB had gone down from the previous year because he now had a girl friend, as well as insights provided on this board. I'll never know everything I would like to, but it is nice to hear personal stories about the school, players, events I knew about or even experienced-the Muhammad Ali thread with Elvis, the pink Cadillac and the garage sale was priceless. Even met a few posters who knew my home area and some of its more notables-softball leagues and Barry Alvarez.
Aside from its obvious PSU sports slant, the BWI McAndrew board was full of surprises and exposure to new things including many in my home state.
Wasn't planning on it, but will probably spent more than a normal amount of time on it this month....partly searching for old posts.

I'm going to miss your gay ass Michigan boat. It seems very happy. I've been meaning to tell you that for a while.
It’s doa. Batteries are dead so now we just drink in the slip :mad: post Auburn cruise, no clue who docked her lol
RVuH4oQ.jpg

Found this site late in 1997 and have visited on and off since. Never changed my name. Got lost in a reboot somewhere in the mid 2000-10 era but resigned up with the same name. Lots of fun, a lot of great information, some silly moments. Hope this isn't the end for the group......

Found this site late in 1997 and have visited on and off since. Never changed my name. Got lost in a reboot somewhere in the mid 2000-10 era but resigned up with the same name. Lots of fun, a lot of great information, some silly moments. Hope this isn't the end for the group......
I think (and I could be misremembering) that prior to 2001 ish you could post under any username without registering. Somewhere around that time it switched. I believe you can tell by your "member since" date. You'll see a lot of people have the same date.

Reactions: TiredOldLion
I remember using the board on 9/11 for updates, specifically on the crash in PA. My sister had recently moved somewhere in the vicinity of the Shanksville site-I didn't know exactly where, and I couldn't get through to any of my family on the phone. It ends up she lives about 5 mi/15 min from the site, but according to my mom she didn't hear anything with 4 young kids in the house and the hills probably absorbing much of the noise...although it so quiet up there.
I will miss and feel more than a little nostalgia when I remember some of the surprising off topics and behavior. I learned what boillo and pitza (sp?, the northern PA version), took in some tech advice-I didn't need or ask for at the time, and weathered some trolls and self-subscribed insiders-even empathized over behavior directed towards some of them.
Personally, when dealing with high school and even college kids, things are so uncertain and dynamic, I really don't want to pay for information that is equally uncertain and dynamic. I leaned this with experiences such as talking about Penn State football in the early 80s with an adult friend who seemed to know what he was talking about and told me the play of a certain LB had gone down from the previous year because he now had a girl friend, as well as insights provided on this board. I'll never know everything I would like to, but it is nice to hear personal stories about the school, players, events I knew about or even experienced-the Muhammad Ali thread with Elvis, the pink Cadillac and the garage sale was priceless. Even met a few posters who knew my home area and some of its more notables-softball leagues and Barry Alvarez.
Aside from its obvious PSU sports slant, the BWI McAndrew board was full of surprises and exposure to new things including many in my home state.
Wasn't planning on it, but will probably spent more than a normal amount of time on it this month....partly searching for old posts.
I remember real time updates from the Boston Marathon bomber and the case to capture them. Someone on here was giving us stuff in real time.

If anyone doubts the power of this board....there is no doubt that the local writers harvest ideas from this board in order to file their columns.

I made a stupid somehat drunken comment 10 years ago about....seeing Rick Neuheisel at the Tavern that still lives today on this board and which was reported as a fact in USA Today.......... Rick N. had to answer that he had never been to PSU.........
Whether true or not, I’m taking credit for coining up with the “Freeh Stooges” moniker on this board. Somebody made a boatload of $$ selling t-shirts at the Beav with that idea….you’re welcome 😁

Last edited:
This thread is making me sad like the time when I got laid off at 60 y/o after 29 years on the job. A sick feeling to my stomach and as was just mentioned this thread is making me remember happier times.

This thread is like going to a wake of a good friend. Lots of silly talk but heart felt. I too am sad but have many great memories all the way back to the early days before Rivals.
I’ll say I’ll miss this even for the annoying posts because those probably created the most amusing threads.

That’s a great post; I’d only like to say as make my last post or reply, I’m going to miss you bastards, it’s been a lot of fun.

Good health and happiness!!!!

PSUTENN1

1) Fire Franklin comments in every game day thread when we do not pick up a 3rd and 5.
2) Fire Franklin comments when our defense gives up 6 yards on a 3rd and 5.
3) weekend jukebox - learned about a lot of artists that i was unfamiliar with.
4) Midnighters Polls.
5) The pictures of the upcoming hot women athletes in the Olympics
6) The WE are Better Posts
7) Where to eat, where to stay anywhere in the US and almost anywhere in the world.
8) I liked the AKB questions about: plumbing, interest rates, auto issues and which router to buy
9) I liked when cool fans from other teams add to the board....I like when douchey fans from other teams get roasted on this board
10) I love getting any inside info on which guard is looking good......which linebacker is showing up strong.....and who is the star in the weight room.

Mostly I will miss the funny put downs, Bob's be right backs, Ro's hot Pittsburgh takes and Lion Jim's smart Math discussions which I do not understsand. I like how people have gotten so comfortable on the board that they will talk about family members or themselves being sick. I did so myself when I talked about my wife's continuing cancer battle.

This is about the only social media that I do....I publish once a month or so a picture of my family in a interesting place or a fish that I have caught on Instagram.

Thank you everyone for the info....the laughs....the music and the continuation of a belief that i have that as a whole PSU fans are generally really good people.

Doubt that I will pay for the new board....will look for a new community of PSU fans......if I can't find, then maybe I will pay. Have been here since the Plotit days....and for the full run of the McAndrew BWI Board.....thanks to you all.

PSU Soupy.
[/QUOTE]

If anyone doubts the power of this board....there is no doubt that the local writers harvest ideas from this board in order to file their columns.

I made a stupid somehat drunken comment 10 years ago about....seeing Rick Neuheisel at the Tavern that still lives today on this board and which was reported as a fact in USA Today.......... Rick N. had to answer that he had never been to PSU.........
During the great Matt McGloin/Rob Bolden debate I went through the time and trouble to calculate how the offense worked better under McGloin than Bolden.

I calculated total yards, percentage of drives that resulted in TDs or FGs T/O etc.

Within three days Gerry DiNardo was spouting off on BTN the exact same stats. He used my post word for word.

And not one “thanks ro” from Gerry. The selfish bastard.

Last edited:

Damn. That is classic. Your picture should be on the McAndrew Board Wall of Fame. ;)

I think (and I could be misremembering) that prior to 2001 ish you could post under any username without registering. Somewhere around that time it switched. I believe you can tell by your "member since" date. You'll see a lot of people have the same date.
You are probably correct. I know I had to reregister way back and lost all the points previously earned, no big deal. Guess I no longer matters. I will miss all the great info and discussions.

During the great Matt McGloin/Rob Bolden debate I went through the time and trouble to calculate how the offense worked better under McGloin than Bolden.

I calculated total yards, percentage of drives that resulted in TDs or FGs T/O etc.

With three days Gerry DiNardo was spouting off on BTN the exact same stats. He used my post word for word.

And not one “thanks ro” from Gerry. The selfish bastard.
That is awesome. Gerry spouting off those stats would have made me think that he was smart, thanks for clueing me in.

Great post.

As someone who moved away from PA and have lived in areas where there are very few PSU fans, this board gives me a place to discuss PSU sports. My wife doesn’t understand why I’m on the board so much and I tell her that I’ve got no one else to talk PSU sports with since my dad passed away in 2005. I appreciate you guys giving me a way to talk about PSU for many years. This sucks.

You still got me man!

And that is worth all the money in the world!!

Reactions: AWS1022

To clarify a bit: 2001 is when I moved the Plotit board over to BWI's site on Rivals. As such, a bunch of long-timers have a Joined date in their Rivals profile of May XX, 2001.

I honestly don't even remember the process for registering handles on the Plotit board. I think you did have to do something to create a handle, but I think it was pretty darn easy to create a new handle on the Plotit board.

The Plotit board was great, but its capacity was really small. I think it would only preserve threads if they were on the 1st page (the only page), but it could have been that there were a few pages (I forget). So there were times that I would delete threads just so that "better" threads would stick around for a bit. And all that effort would go out the window on Signing Day, after a big win or a stunning upset, etc.

The move to BWI (and thus Rivals) was a good one for the board, though folks seem to forget that before the move (which was announced about a month before it occurred) there were a number of posters that complained about leaving the Plotit board, and balked at moving over to BWI's site. Eventually, most of them did make the move.

The move to BWI (and thus Rivals) was a good one for the board, though folks seem to forget that before the move (which was announced about a month before it occurred) there were a number of posters that complained about leaving the Plotit board, and balked at moving over to BWI's site. Eventually, most of them did make the move.
We are sheeple.

I don’t believe I complained about the move. OTOH I did not like the loss of Thread View capabilities.

Reactions: Lanz
To clarify a bit: 2001 is when I moved the Plotit board over to BWI's site on Rivals. As such, a bunch of long-timers have a Joined date in their Rivals profile of May XX, 2001.

I honestly don't even remember the process for registering handles on the Plotit board. I think you did have to do something to create a handle, but I think it was pretty darn easy to create a new handle on the Plotit board.

The Plotit board was great, but its capacity was really small. I think it would only preserve threads if they were on the 1st page (the only page), but it could have been that there were a few pages (I forget). So there were times that I would delete threads just so that "better" threads would stick around for a bit. And all that effort would go out the window on Signing Day, after a big win or a stunning upset, etc.

Tom - is there a comprehensive and comprehensible summary of what will happen in November with this Board?

Reactions: psu00 and BBrown
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT