ADVERTISEMENT

Things on O that really just make you say....WTF are they doing?

1st down...Bomb
2nd down....2-3 yards
3rd down...QB runs for life and incomplete pass.

That was much of today.....one drive we pounded it down their throat and from some reason stopped right after that.
Said the same thing. I think we were all able to predict the play calling in the first half :
Deep pass
2 yr run
Incomplete 30 yd pass

Someone needs to remind rahne he doesn’t have to go the length of the field in 3 plays like it’s a pick up game in the back yard

One other thing....Sean Clifford....talking about being a leader is different than picking up a first down by simply diving face forward. People want to compare him to Trace....no GD way does Trace not pick up that first down with his feet....no way. Leaders lead, that was soft as hell.
Sadly, I must agree.

Reactions: TheGLOV
There is A LOT to like about Coach Franklin. He’s a very good recruiter, a role model that I would put forward for my own son, and he seems to relate to his players.

One tradeoff, IMO, is that he has many personal connections with his staff and he can be loyal too long when changes are needed. I suspect he has a special bond with Limegrover and Rahne. That could be why things have been slow to be addressed.

If you look at his offenses at Penn State, consistency has been lacking, even in the 2016-2017 great years. Things were masked some because of Moorhead’s success in using generational talent at RB, WR and TE.

Outside of the Moorhead and generational talent combo, Penn State offenses have been lean. Significant changes are warranted. Will Coach Franklin make them in a way that yields desired results?

Let’s hope. The “Rahne needs more time” crowd seems to have dissipated. Hopefully Franklin recognizes this hire from within experiment failed him.

Rahne was a a mistake. Can't say if Gattis would have been better, but the decision wasn't limited to an either/or.

Time will tell. If it is a mistake it will only get magnified going forward. I've seen offenses turn around for new QB's after game 4.....M Rob and Trace are perfect examples. I won't jerk my knees just yet..but they are getting ready to go.

Trips to one side, Friermuth in line opposite, RB switches sides. Hand off to RB for nothing ie. 4th and 5 play vs. tOSU. Ran one variation today, passed to Slade down the middle. Other than that 12 times off the same.

Time will tell. If it is a mistake it will only get magnified going forward. I've seen offenses turn around for new QB's after game 4.....M Rob and Trace are perfect examples. I won't jerk my knees just yet..but they are getting ready to go.

I will be more than happy to say I was wrong.

1st down...Bomb
2nd down....2-3 yards
3rd down...QB runs for life and incomplete pass.

That was much of today.....one drive we pounded it down their throat and from some reason stopped right after that.

You’re usually pretty positive. Surprising how critical you’ve been today. One 409 for you - on the house. :)

Someone needs to remind rahne he doesn’t have to go the length of the field in 3 plays like it’s a pick up game in the back yard

I understand the strategy.

The longer the throw, the more likely we get an explosive play.

The fewer the plays, the more likely we don't turn over the ball.

Those are the two most important stats to winning.

We won the game, so there's proof.

You’re usually pretty positive. Surprising how critical you’ve been today. One 409 for you - on the house. :)

It's one game and I've seen good PSU teams take off after ther 4th and 5th week. The problem is the play calling today was atrocious. Two weeks in a row PSU has basically been shut down in the first half. It's surely a reason to be concerned. I also don't like seeing sophomore Captains not picking up 3 yards for a first down in a critical spot.....nope....you need to get that first down there.

Our defense was good? Pickett looked like Marino, no pass rush, poor tackling, abused by Pitt WRs, completely tricked on 4th down, and gave up 3rd and 12s all day..we won bc of Jordan Stout and a boneheaded Nardouchey on other side..nothing else
And they scored 10 whole points...good lord.

Reactions: TheGLOV and Fibes
Trace slid early many times. Yes, Robinson would’ve gotten the first down.
Sure Trace did, but not in critical spots when he had the 3 yards clearly. Sorry....you have to pick that up as a Captain on the team. Hell, he didn't even really have a carry today unless it was forced. I'm wondering if he was dinged up...because you have to run some as the QB in this offense.

Sure Trace did, but not in critical spots when he had the 3 yards clearly. Sorry....you have to pick that up as a Captain on the team. Hell, he didn't even really have a carry today unless it was forced. I'm wondering if he was dinged up...because you have to run some as the QB in this offense.

The frustrating part was that I don’t think he was going to get nailed - he had plenty of room for one more stride then a dive head first. There wasn’t even a need for collision. That play almost had me spiraling my beer through the tv.

The frustrating part was that I don’t think he was going to get nailed - he had plenty of room for one more stride then a dive head first. There wasn’t even a need for collision. That play almost had me spiraling my beer through the tv.
And you just knew they weren’t going to pick up the first on the next play.

And you just knew they weren’t going to pick up the first on the next play.

No....but that is why you fight for those yards and don't leave any doubt. You are a sophomore Captain QB and in a big spot I want to see him take over a game. How many times did he keep the ball today and keep Pitt honest. I honestly don't remember one time where he kept the ball. Now he ran some, but that was forced on passing plays. If you don't want to hear any criticism ever....stay off the internet. None of this is even harsh....as he is young and will get better, but that play had me missing #9 in a big way. This was an in state rival and he laid down way too early there.

No....but that is why you fight for those yards and don't leave any doubt. You are a sophomore Captain QB and in a big spot I want to see him take over a game. How many times did he keep the ball today and keep Pitt honest. I honestly don't remember one time where he kept the ball. Now he ran some, but that was forced on passing plays. If you don't want to hear any criticism ever....stay off the internet. None of this is even harsh....as he is young and will get better, but that play had me missing #9 in a big way. This was an in state rival and he laid down way too early there.
I agree, I meant when he didn’t make that effort to get the first, they were going to fall short on the next try....effort (or lack of) is contagious.

I was surprised he didn’t go for it but CJF did make a major point about Levis not getting down vs Idaho. He will figure out the right mix. I’m more concerned about his poor accuracy on deep throws

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
  • Third down play calling? Just no words there.
  • Cain torches Pitt on the long TD drive....not to be heard from again.
  • RPO means once in a while the QB actually has to keep the ball.
  • How many horribly thrown deep balls did we need to see today? I lost count...was it 6 or 7?
  • #87 is a problem for teams....you can use him a bit more when you are struggling to move the chains.
  • Does Rahne and Limegrover realize that teams simply stunt our OL to death and they are awful at picking it up.
  • This team cannot drive the ball consistently and just prays to hit a big play. You're not Jo Mo....figure out how to move the sticks and the big plays will come. Last year was a learning year for a new OC.....not sure what he learned.
  • Why in the hell are the two best playmakers on O running the same GD route? That is coaching.....they don't know this offense IMO as it's not the first time we have seen it with this offense. It's like a weekly event now.
Shocking comments

There is A LOT to like about Coach Franklin. He’s a very good recruiter, a role model that I would put forward for my own son, and he seems to relate to his players.

One tradeoff, IMO, is that he has many personal connections with his staff and he can be loyal too long when changes are needed. I suspect he has a special bond with Limegrover and Rahne. That could be why things have been slow to be addressed.

If you look at his offenses at Penn State, consistency has been lacking, even in the 2016-2017 great years. Things were masked some because of Moorhead’s success in using generational talent at RB, WR and TE.

Outside of the Moorhead and generational talent combo, Penn State offenses have been lean. Significant changes are warranted. Will Coach Franklin make them in a way that yields desired results?
Why would he have a special bond to Limegrover?

• How many horribly thrown deep balls did we need to see today? I lost count...was it 6 or 7?
  • #87 is a problem for teams....you can use him a bit more when you are struggling to move the chains.
  • Does Rahne and Limegrover realize that teams simply stunt our OL to death and they are awful at picking it up.
  • This team cannot drive the ball consistently and just prays to hit a big play. You're not Jo Mo....figure out how to move the sticks and the big plays will come. Last year was a learning year for a new OC.....not sure what he learned.
  • Why in the hell are the two best playmakers on O running the same GD route? That is coaching.....they don't know this offense IMO as it's not the first time we have seen it with this offense. It's like a weekly event now.
I can’t disputed a single thing on your list. The good news is that we are 3-0 and have more talent than all on our schedule but tOSU and Michigan. Hopefully we work things out.

Some comments on your points:
  • I'm not sure if it's play calling or execution on 3rd down, other than the long pass flail on 3rd down at the end of the game. I did like the quick throws to the RB when the RB went in motion and pitt failed to have someone follow him.
  • Cain did look like the best RB today. But wasn't it Ford that got the next series and wasn't that Ford's first series? They wanted to get Ford in the game, but I agree that in a too close game why not ride the hot horse.
  • Over the first 2 games I for one was wishing Clifford would have handed the ball off to the RB more often and kept it about half as many time as he actually did. He must have been coached this week to limit his runs, and I agree that 4-6 keepers a game keeps the defense off balance and those runs usually are for first downs.
  • The long throws were ugly. And with virtually no wind. Not a good sign, and today it seemed that PSU could have used those wasted downs to sustain a couple more drives for TD's.
  • OL does not seem to be improving much. But I still have hope that we can see an uptick in performance as OL continuity sometimes takes longer to happen that other aspects of team play. There have been seasons where the OL really only gels at mid season. But wasn't it nice to see an OL take his man to the ground and grind him into it?

One other thing....Sean Clifford....talking about being a leader is different than picking up a first down by simply diving face forward. People want to compare him to Trace....no GD way does Trace not pick up that first down with his feet....no way. Leaders lead, that was soft as hell.

I didn't see a replay, but it looked like once he started scrambling he really didn't know where the sticks were.

RR ain’t the problem
Your QB can’t hit the water from the deck of the Love Boat in anything more than 8 yards all day, and when you need to keep the clock running on 3rd down you dial up a long pass.

I had actually convinced myself that was a bad choice by Clifford and that we was supposed to dump to the RB leading him on the right or just run.....until in the press conference they confirmed they called a deep pass. Smh. With a QB hitting passes, ok....but with the performance of the day...lousy play call. RR, smh

Your QB can’t hit the water from the deck of the Love Boat in anything more than 8 yards all day, and when you need to keep the clock running on 3rd down you dial up a long pass.

I had actually convinced myself that was a bad choice by Clifford and that we was supposed to dump to the RB leading him on the right or just run.....until in the press conference they confirmed they called a deep pass. Smh. With a QB hitting passes, ok....but with the performance of the day...lousy play call. RR, smh
RR does what CJF TELLS him to do

Reactions: Hotshoe
Some comments on your points:
  • I'm not sure if it's play calling or execution on 3rd down, other than the long pass flail on 3rd down at the end of the game. I did like the quick throws to the RB when the RB went in motion and pitt failed to have someone follow him.
  • Cain did look like the best RB today. But wasn't it Ford that got the next series and wasn't that Ford's first series? They wanted to get Ford in the game, but I agree that in a too close game why not ride the hot horse.
  • Over the first 2 games I for one was wishing Clifford would have handed the ball off to the RB more often and kept it about half as many time as he actually did. He must have been coached this week to limit his runs, and I agree that 4-6 keepers a game keeps the defense off balance and those runs usually are for first downs.
  • The long throws were ugly. And with virtually no wind. Not a good sign, and today it seemed that PSU could have used those wasted downs to sustain a couple more drives for TD's.
  • OL does not seem to be improving much. But I still have hope that we can see an uptick in performance as OL continuity sometimes takes longer to happen that other aspects of team play. There have been seasons where the OL really only gels at mid season. But wasn't it nice to see an OL take his man to the ground and grind him into it?

I didn't see a replay, but it looked like once he started scrambling he really didn't know where the sticks were.

Clemson has, I believe, 4 RS Seniors on their O-Line.

That has to make one helluva difference as compared to ours.

Reactions: GregInPitt

Mostly agree with everything.
The 3rd down and 4 call to, what should have sealed the game, was idiotic.
and Franklins excuse that it could have been a big play was equally as dumb.
Who cares if its a big play, get the first down and win the game and the last 2 minutes never happen. WTF
Oh and also learn how to burn the f'n clock. we left at least 25 seconds for pitt to play with. WTF as this is a continuing issue.

Yep I thought they were going to go with the Hot hand? At least thats what Frankling said. so Cain had the hot hand. Pftt gone the rest of the game. WTF?

Apparently Pat F, admitted to running the wrong route but this also happened either last week or Idaho with Hammler and Dotson.
Also someone tell Hammler its ok to fair catch a kick thats 8 yards deep in the EZ.

C'mon guys. Can't both of you be right?

Franklin wants EXPLOSIVE plays and Rahne called for the BOMB.

Cain would play more if a he had more support on twitter. I mean that is what determines PT so just tweet james

You're drunk. 95% of QBs who care about their team's future (with their health at the helm) slide on that play. He was about to get killed by 2 guys. Smart play. It's the OC's job to draw up a decent play on 3rd and 1.

Reactions: 83wuzme
ADVERTISEMENT