ADVERTISEMENT

Things I'd like to see next 6 games

Psugo823

Aug 17, 2021
I'd like to see a specific package for Roberson to spell Sean so he can avoid aggravation of his injury...
Also would love to see better special teams play, for better field positions and maybe to steal 3 to 7 points per game.
Want to know if we can get creative with the run game by maybe exploring the wildcat packages with 44 handing off or with a jet sweep package for someone other than 5.
Can we get more pressure with 23 coming on stunts or maybe 9 can get home with boundary blitzes?
Instead of continuing the 4th down situations, can we punt and play defense in some circumstances where we are too far for a field goal? And can we possibly get creative and make a play happen with an occasional gadget play in some of these situations?
Just a few thoughts for this next month and a half...

Good points. We really need to manufacture a running game on offense, it's mission critical. We cannot win at OSU or at Michigan State with 0 run game and a banged up QB.

I caught the 1st quarter of the iowa game on the car radio before I could get to a TV. Nearly every time we ran the ball in the 1st quarter, Jones and Ham said “No movement.” Maddening given the experience and supposed talent on the offensive line and that it was the sixth game of the season.

An O should also adopt and run the best play that was run against us the week or two before. Run the Iowa TD pass play to Dotson the first or second play of the game.

Rollout plays, getting our QBs out of the pocket are essential. Then run some misdirection plays. And how about a jet sweep to Dotson where he has the option to throw the ball?

And we need to incorporate some wildcat plays…..and some basic quick count toss sweeps instead of every run being a handoff.

Last I checked this is not rocket science!

I'd like to see a specific package for Roberson to spell Sean so he can avoid aggravation of his injury...
There would be immediate backlash about doing this if Roberson were to come in and make a critical, game changing error. If Clifford is healthy and the game is still in doubt, he should be on the field. It would be silly to take our best QB off the field in the interest of developing the backup QB when the team has a chance to possibly compete for a conference title or the playoffs.

An O should also adopt and run the best play that was run against us the week or two before. Run the Iowa TD pass play to Dotson the first or second play of the game.

Rollout plays, getting our QBs out of the pocket are essential. Then run some misdirection plays. And how about a jet sweep to Dotson where he has the option to throw the ball?

And we need to incorporate some wildcat plays…..and some basic quick count toss sweeps instead of every run being a handoff.

Last I checked this is not rocket science!
If PSU can’t throw and teams are going to stack the line to stop the run and pressure a newbie QB……………..;)

There would be immediate backlash about doing this if Roberson were to come in and make a critical, game changing error. If Clifford is healthy and the game is still in doubt, he should be on the field. It would be silly to take our best QB off the field in the interest of developing the backup QB when the team has a chance to possibly compete for a conference title or the playoffs.
But it isn't about developing a new qb...it's about another creative way to get more diversity with a run first qb package and to save wear and tear...it's maybe a 2nd quarter series and maybe an early 3rd quarter series...obviously Cliff is on the field at all times, but 1 series gives a defense more to deal with. Georgia actually did this with Fields his freshman year...and no I'm not saying that t rob is Fields, it's just another thing that we might use.
We have to get free from the multiple series each game when we go run run pass on 3rd and 9.

It would be good enough for me. Actually 5 more wins would be good enough for me, especially if one of those was over OSU.
Actually I agree. I'm ok with 10-2, but 9-3 just feels like we left something at the counter and forgot to go back for it....not after wisconsin and auburn and the Indiana revenge, and realizing that even if we beat Iowa it was not going to get done if we lost in Columbus.

Reactions: bdgan
It would be good enough for me. Actually 5 more wins would be good enough for me, especially if one of those was over OSU.

Six wins in six games is not good enough for me. Of course, I have very high standards.

Roberson is a dual threat QB so play to his strengths. The opposition is aware. I think opposition defenses will have to account for his running ability forcing them to keep a spy on him or focus more on outside the box roll outs and runs. This may/will take a player out of his usual assignment and perhaps open things up a little more for the offense. IMHO……

Also would love to see better special teams play, for better field positions and maybe to steal 3 to 7 points per game.
Want to know if we can get creative with the run game by maybe exploring the wildcat packages with 44 handing off or with a jet sweep package for someone other than 5.
Can we get more pressure with 23 coming on stunts or maybe 9 can get home with boundary blitzes?
Instead of continuing the 4th down situations, can we punt and play defense in some circumstances where we are too far for a field goal? And can we possibly get creative and make a play happen with an occasional gadget play in some of these situations?
Regarding special teams, I'd like to see Dotson come up and field the short punts, fair catching them. We've had way too many short punts that we fail to catch that end up bouncing and rolling past Dotson for another 10 to 20 yards of lost field position....... If you run up and fair catch those 30 yard punts you really do flip the field position, even if our drive stalls.

Dotson has the best hands on the team. He needs to use them.

• Love
Reactions: Psugo823
Regarding special teams, I'd like to see Dotson come up and field the short punts, fair catching them. We've had way too many short punts that we fail to catch that end up bouncing and rolling past Dotson for another 10 to 20 yards of lost field position....... If you run up and fair catch those 30 yard punts you really do flip the field position, even if our drive stalls.

Dotson has the best hands on the team. He needs to use them.

Gregg, very true in most past years, but I don’t think that’s happened much at all this year.

It's great to have Dotson back there and he's due to break one. He's fair caught a few around the 5 yd line I thought he should have let go into the end zone is my only gripe

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
i want to see 6 wins and could give a rats ass how we get them

Beating osu and still missing the ccg would be a kick in the nuts

I don't get the special teams comment. We're first in Kickoff defense and our punter is ranked 5th in the nation at almost 49 yards a punt. Yeah, maybe we can pick up some return yards (which is often beyond our control) we aren't going to do much better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT