ADVERTISEMENT

There is no "I" in Team

Then you can look at the regular season once we (and any team) are eliminated from the playoff as meaningless. At that point why would a regular season game mean something if we are playing for a meaningless bowl? Is the Rose Bowl now rendered meaningless?

Finally, when you go suit up and compete it means something. There is pride and momentum for the off season. Nevertheless I get the bigger point but you then have to relent and agree that most of the regular season is meaningless once the playoff is out of reach. Heck, why should any team say outside the top 15 even bother to play at all every season?
You betch yer ass... that's what we need... players opting out the moment their hopes for a playoff berth are extinguished. Do it!

Of course, THEN these well meaning pillars of society would no longer be manning up to their commitment and forced to relinquish their scholies and graduate status. But hey, they never gave a rats ass anyway, so who cares? Not them, not me.

You want to quit, then gtfoh. See ya. Pronto (and no, you fins some other locale in which to conduct your "pro day" cuz you are no longer one of US). And btw, kindly return ALL of what you were given when you committed to play here (or anywhere). And they need to start doing the same with the coaches. too. Design contracts to have teeth in the event some pighead decides he wants even more millions elsewhere. Make him PAY for that joy... and pay dearly.

But that's my pov... not asking anyone to agree. But this BS has gutted CFB for many like me and left me (and others) with a who gives a crap about cfb anymore? There's a game monday night? Damn, forgot all about it and scheduled a round of pinochle with friends. Bummer.

CFB? Who cares? Expand the playoff to 16 (make the NY6 part of that round) or watch your sport wither and die on the vine of greed and ignorance. I'm at a point where i hope it all crashes and burns...now i actually hope to awake one day and feel different because this is not how it was even 6 years ago when i still loved this game.

Rather rake leaves but i live in the free state of florida so leaves are out.... think instead i'll take a long pull on a vintage port and smoke me a big fat Davidoff while watching the sun set over the ocean. Long before i watch bama and georgia... good riddance.

I recall the weeping and gnashing of teeth when free agency arrived in MLB. The sport has survived and the younger generation has no basis to compare today to what it was like prior to it. Get a life. The letterman's jackets and pom poms have been passe for some time. College football is changing quickly with the portal, NIL etc. Anyone who can't accept it's all about $, and has been for decades, will need to find a new hobby. It's going to be the "wild west" for a few years until they figure out how to govern these new concepts. The universities and coaches have enriched themselves and now the players are waking to the opportunities to get a cut. I don't like it either.....no one likes change.....but the alternative to accepting is to take up knitting.

Here is the national leader for NIL cash. Maybe the sport should go back to what it was 40 years ago, so some random fan can feel better about their viewing experience and won't have to contemplate new thoughts and feelings in their mind.

Here is the national leader for NIL cash. Maybe the sport should go back to what it was 40 years ago, so some random fan can feel better about their viewing experience and won't have to contemplate new thoughts and feelings in their mind.
Hot, flexible, athletic, spinner blonde with a huge following? That isn’t surprising.

Then you can look at the regular season once we (and any team) are eliminated from the playoff as meaningless. At that point why would a regular season game mean something if we are playing for a meaningless bowl? Is the Rose Bowl now rendered meaningless?

Finally, when you go suit up and compete it means something. There is pride and momentum for the off season. Nevertheless I get the bigger point but you then have to relent and agree that most of the regular season is meaningless once the playoff is out of reach. Heck, why should any team say outside the top 15 even bother to play at all every season?
Yes, the Rose Bowl is now meaningless when it's not part of the playoff
All your points are why it should be a 16 or 24 team playoff
And, yes, eventually kids will stop playing claiming a minor injury or mental health when their teams are eliminated. Especially after seeing what Chase and Parsons have accomplished without playing

And, yes, eventually kids will stop playing claiming a minor injury or mental health when their teams are eliminated. Especially after seeing what Chase and Parsons have accomplished without playing
And……a bunch of fans and alums will stop watching and paying!

I don’t agree that major bowls like Rose, Fiesta are worthless when not part of CFP. Yes, some kids will opt out, but to me it sure looked like Utah, Ohio State, ND, and OSU didn’t play like they were worthless games.

Reactions: step.eng69
I don’t agree that major bowls like Rose, Fiesta are worthless when not part of CFP. Yes, some kids will opt out, but to me it sure looked like Utah, Ohio State, ND, and OSU didn’t play like they were worthless games.
Kids are playing for positions next year and to improve draft status if they didn't opt out. And some are playing for the last time at a high level due to graduation.

Does it matter who won those games?

Kids are playing for positions next year and to improve draft status if they didn't opt out. And some are playing for the last time at a high level due to graduation.

Does it matter who won those games?
To the players that played, the the coaching staff, to fans…Yep. Just because you and some players, others, consider all the big bowls outside the CFP to be worthless does not mean it is to all.

To the players that played, the the coaching staff, to fans…Yep. Just because you and some players, others, consider all the big bowls outside the CFP to be worthless does not mean it is to all.
You're not answering the question. Does it MATTER who wins? If so, how?
Caring doesn't equal meaningful.

Reactions: lowhandicapper
You act like that is an easy question. Ot is all about respective perspective.

To me, in the big picture of life, game outcomes don’t mean anything in the quality of my life, my happiness, my family’s happiness, my welfare, etc.

For those that play or are employed within sports and wins do matter, because they get fired, get threats on social media, lose money, have to uproot family. I am sure they would tell you yes, wins matter.

No stop trying so hard to be a know it all douche bag. Or maybe that just comes easy for you.

To me, in the big picture of life, game outcomes don’t mean anything in the quality of my life, my happiness, my family’s happiness, my welfare, etc.
You realize you're acting as though it does by your comments, right?

If you want to continue to believe bowl games are meaningful that's great. I'm glad that more and more players will continue to opt out hopefully leading to the end of the bowls.

You realize you're acting as though it does by your comments, right?

If you want to continue to believe bowl games are meaningful that's great. I'm glad that more and more players will continue to opt out hopefully leading to the end of the bowls.
🤣🥱. You are a hoot and a bore You realize you are putting your own interpretation on my comments, right? Now go away troll. I’m done dealing with worthless posters like you that think they know it all, and just try to argue because they feel bad he need to be right. I can tell you your comments are worthless and don’t matter. Bye now as I put your dumbass on ignore.

🤣🥱. You are a hoot and a bore You realize you are putting your own interpretation on my comments, right? Now go away troll. I’m done dealing with worthless posters like you that think they know it all, and just try to argue because they feel bad he need to be right. I can tell you your comments are worthless and don’t matter. Bye now as I put your dumbass on ignore.
What is this nonsense? lol

We shall see. Honest question--how long before you see that actually having a drastic impact?
Attendance and viewership have been declining nationally for a while now. The transfer portal and opt outs are only going to make it more precipitous. If you can’t see the undercurrent on this board not much else I can say to you.

Attendance and viewership have been declining nationally for a while now. The transfer portal and opt outs are only going to make it more precipitous. If you can’t see the undercurrent on this board not much else I can say to you.
Attendance and viewership declined because of the viewing options available to people. Why would people travel, pay for a hotel, licensing fees, etc when they can watch from the comfort of their home or a bar with friends/family?

I see a couple people being upset about it but most understanding players should be opting out of the bowl.

The portal is a different discussion...

I am a big playoff supporter but think 16 is probably too large a field. Go back and look at the past years since say 2014 and would the 16th ranked team ever beat the #1 team? Point being expanded playoffs do not necessarily solve the bowl problem. Yeah the game means something but a lot of blowouts. Twelve is borderline but willing to try it.

I do think the proverbial pandoras box is open with all these opt outs. More and more opt outs will happen, opt outs of entire seasons will occur and of majority of seasons.

I think you should give the top 300 HS recruits an option to not go to college and instead enter an NFL developmental league. Undersigned by the NFL. Someone on another thread suggested each of the NFL teams has a developmental team. These players are not guaranteed to be drafted. The ones who do not go into this league can still get drafted out of college. But those players cannot opt out of bowl games or seasons as they represent a college. As I think about it, 300 players is not enough to form a league representing each NFL team so maybe it is a smaller league and the NFL still undersigns it. Have to figure out details of how long the player stays in this league before being draft eligible, etc but you get the broad concept.

I am a big playoff supporter but think 16 is probably too large a field. Go back and look at the past years since say 2014 and would the 16th ranked team ever beat the #1 team? Point being expanded playoffs do not necessarily solve the bowl problem. Yeah the game means something but a lot of blowouts. Twelve is borderline but willing to try it.

I do think the proverbial pandoras box is open with all these opt outs. More and more opt outs will happen, opt outs of entire seasons will occur and of majority of seasons.

I think you should give the top 300 HS recruits an option to not go to college and instead enter an NFL developmental league. Undersigned by the NFL. Someone on another thread suggested each of the NFL teams has a developmental team. These players are not guaranteed to be drafted. The ones who do not go into this league can still get drafted out of college. But those players cannot opt out of bowl games or seasons as they represent a college. As I think about it, 300 players is not enough to form a league representing each NFL team so maybe it is a smaller league and the NFL still undersigns it. Have to figure out details of how long the player stays in this league before being draft eligible, etc but you get the broad concept.
The developmental league makes no sense for anyone involved. It doesn't help the NCAA nor does it make financial sense for the NFL. 300 players is nothing as you later pointed out. What good is 300 players each year? I understand what you're doing but it doesn't work.

And you don't need 16 to beat 1 for those games to take place. All conferences should have an auto bid. Give the Sun Belt and MAC a chance to take on Alabama and maybe once every 10-20 years they pull off an upset. See FCS--the best teams will still dominate but they have to earn it by winning 4 games instead on 2 with tons of time to prepare for the first.

The developmental league makes no sense for anyone involved. It doesn't help the NCAA nor does it make financial sense for the NFL. 300 players is nothing as you later pointed out. What good is 300 players each year? I understand what you're doing but it doesn't work.

And you don't need 16 to beat 1 for those games to take place. All conferences should have an auto bid. Give the Sun Belt and MAC a chance to take on Alabama and maybe once every 10-20 years they pull off an upset. See FCS--the best teams will still dominate but they have to earn it by winning 4 games instead on 2 with tons of time to prepare for the first.
The NCAA is useless and is is an archaic, dying organization. Not sure they would have any power to stop anything. The concept is a minor league of football but I know it is an out there idea.
Nevertheless, I would hope there is some solution to get rid of these opt outs. I guess an expanded playoff helps but it doesn't solve the issue PSU had this year. An NFL talent rich team with a bunch of losses and outside the top 25 thus tons of opt outs for a minor bowl game. Hmmm, seems like some kind of coaching issue when you lay it out that way but a different topic. What it does ensure is the major bowls that currently are not part of the playoff in a given year but will be with a 12 team playoff will not experience opt outs.

This thread really does brag gloat the critikal mass of boomer and analiss We Have. It's a bit much sometimes but we snag Canadiens and the 4.3 CB from Detroit too because BigSquatch doesnt drive to Carolina or Wisconsin or fly or mind his ears.popping coming into town.

Then by your definition, only one or two bowls matter in any given year and that's all that every have mattered since football was first played so absolutely nothing has changed.

Then by your definition, only one or two bowls matter in any given year and that's all that every have mattered since football was first played so absolutely nothing has changed.
Except now the players realized they aren't required to play in it. And yes that was always the problem with the bowl system. For example, we all knew in 94 once Nebraska beat Miami that no matter what Penn State did against Oregon the national champs were going to be the Cornhuskers. The rest of the bowls that year had no meaning for the moment they were scheduled.

James Franklin emphasizes the family aspect of Penn State football and his commitment to the players is clear. He wants them to succeed both in the classroom as well as on the field. However, the players that abandoned the team for the bowl game do not understand what it means to be a member of a family. Members of a family do not quit on their brothers. These are people who selfishly look to their own interests and have no commitment to the PSU fans, coaches and their fellow teammates. Many players came to PSU for the “family” atmosphere. In a real family, there is give and take. The players that left are taking and not giving. In the past, we never saw this kind of attrition. Is this a characteristic of the narcissistic “me-first” mentality of this generation?

I will say this: I will not buy a ticket to a bowl game, fly to some city, reserve a hotel for several days and pay for transportation and dinners to watch an emaciated team get blown out. Never again. No other bowl team had as many quitters as we did. Franklin said this is the worst he’s ever experienced. This is not Franklin’s loss. This loss is on the players that walked away from the team.

Did your Lacrosse Coach tell you that? Every time I hear that expression I think Scrooged with Bill Murry:

(@ 7:00. ) Psychos seize Santa's workshop.

"Eat this."

And only Lee Majors can stop them.

The Night the Reindeer Died.

James Franklin emphasizes the family aspect of Penn State football and his commitment to the players is clear. He wants them to succeed both in the classroom as well as on the field. However, the players that abandoned the team for the bowl game do not understand what it means to be a member of a family. Members of a family do not quit on their brothers. These are people who selfishly look to their own interests and have no commitment to the PSU fans, coaches and their fellow teammates. Many players came to PSU for the “family” atmosphere. In a real family, there is give and take. The players that left are taking and not giving. In the past, we never saw this kind of attrition. Is this a characteristic of the narcissistic “me-first” mentality of this generation?

I will say this: I will not buy a ticket to a bowl game, fly to some city, reserve a hotel for several days and pay for transportation and dinners to watch an emaciated team get blown out. Never again. No other bowl team had as many quitters as we did. Franklin said this is the worst he’s ever experienced. This is not Franklin’s loss. This loss is on the players that walked away from the team.
This is what you get with a four team playoff, transfer portals and NIL.

ADVERTISEMENT