ADVERTISEMENT

There is no "I" in Team

IndianaNittanyLion

Dec 8, 2015
James Franklin emphasizes the family aspect of Penn State football and his commitment to the players is clear. He wants them to succeed both in the classroom as well as on the field. However, the players that abandoned the team for the bowl game do not understand what it means to be a member of a family. Members of a family do not quit on their brothers. These are people who selfishly look to their own interests and have no commitment to the PSU fans, coaches and their fellow teammates. Many players came to PSU for the “family” atmosphere. In a real family, there is give and take. The players that left are taking and not giving. In the past, we never saw this kind of attrition. Is this a characteristic of the narcissistic “me-first” mentality of this generation?

I will say this: I will not buy a ticket to a bowl game, fly to some city, reserve a hotel for several days and pay for transportation and dinners to watch an emaciated team get blown out. Never again. No other bowl team had as many quitters as we did. Franklin said this is the worst he’s ever experienced. This is not Franklin’s loss. This loss is on the players that walked away from the team.

James Franklin emphasizes the family aspect of Penn State football and his commitment to the players is clear. He wants them to succeed both in the classroom as well as on the field. However, the players that abandoned the team for the bowl game do not understand what it means to be a member of a family. Members of a family do not quit on their brothers. These are people who selfishly look to their own interests and have no commitment to the PSU fans, coaches and their fellow teammates. Many players came to PSU for the “family” atmosphere. In a real family, there is give and take. The players that left are taking and not giving. In the past, we never saw this kind of attrition. Is this a characteristic of the narcissistic “me-first” mentality of this generation?

I will say this: I will not buy a ticket to a bowl game, fly to some city, reserve a hotel for several days and pay for transportation and dinners to watch an emaciated team get blown out. Never again. No other bowl team had as many quitters as we did. Franklin said this is the worst he’s ever experienced. This is not Franklin’s loss. This loss is on the players that walked away from the team.
The players don't owe anyone anything. They played the season and sat out an exhibition game. I don't understand why people are so upset about this or frustrated by it. This wasn't a playoff game. It was literally a reward for a mediocre season. Hopefully the bowls cease to exist and they expand the playoff so no one wastes money on them.

And no one comes here for the "family" atmosphere. They come here to get to the next level.

I don't understand why anyone cares enough to buy a ticket and spend that kind of money to see a 7-5 Penn State vs. a 8-4 Arkansas even if the players didn't opt out.

This is Franklin's loss. Every loss is on the coach, just as every win is on the coach.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
The players don't owe anyone anything. They played the season and sat out an exhibition game. I don't understand why people are so upset about this or frustrated by it. This wasn't a playoff game. It was literally a reward for a mediocre season. Hopefully the bowls cease to exist and they expand the playoff so no one wastes money on them.

And no one comes here for the "family" atmosphere. They come here to get to the next level.

I don't understand why anyone cares enough to buy a ticket and spend that kind of money to see a 7-5 Penn State vs. a 8-4 Arkansas even if the players didn't opt out.
They owe it to each other. If their teammates are ok with them quitting then so be it. Pay back 1/13 of their scholarships and we’ll call it even.

I am a member of the team as long as your sacrifice and hard work helps me get what I want for myself. I am no longer a member of the team when being with you puts into jeopardy what I want for myself.

This generation?....and more. It's the i in iphone and it is the prevailing attitude in the general public today.

"How dare you tell me I can't text and use my phone while I drive. While it's a known fact that driving and texting has lead to many injuries and deaths (and many posting here have a family member or friend who was victim to a distracted driver)...I don't care if it leads to someone else's death, if I want to text and drive, I am going to text and drive.

...and if you don't believe this is true, just ask the parents of the kids who text, drive, and kill people...their parents will tell you to mind your own business, their kids are entitled to do whatever they want to do....

They owe it to each other. If their teammates are ok with them quitting then so be it. Pay back 1/13 of their scholarships and we’ll call it even.
Who cares if anyone is okay with it or not. Their career is over once the final scheduled game ends. This is a "reward" for the season. If they don't want the reward let your teammates get some reps. It's not the 80s any more. I miss that era as much as most here seem to but step into present day. These games mean nothing.
Matt Corral made a huge mistake playing in the Sugar Bowl. We'll see more kids opt out now and that's a good thing.

I respectfully disagree. They made a commitment when they joined the team and owed it to their teammates to complete the season. After each season they’re free to do as they wish- come back or move on.

Most here remember parents allowing you to join teams but not quit mid way through the year when things were hard, didn’t go your way, or you wanted to do something else. You fulfilled your commitment for the season and then could reevaluate after. JMO.

I respectfully disagree. They made a commitment when they joined the team and owed it to their teammates to complete the season. After each season they’re free to do as they wish- come back or move on.

Most here remember parents allowing you to join teams but not quit mid way through the year when things were hard, didn’t go your way, or you wanted to do something else. You fulfilled your commitment for the season and then could reevaluate after. JMO.
This is a better argument against leaving via the portal because you aren't getting playing time. These kids aren't quitting on anyone. The season is over. What difference does it make if we won or lost against Arkansas? There's 4 teams (Cincinnati, Alabama, Georgia & Michigan) where there was something to play for. If one of them opt out it's a different story.

Listen I'm in my late 40s. I understand the mentality but the fans, including myself, that grew up loving New Year's Day for all the bowls have to realize they no longer have meaning. They don't. Things change and I miss those days but they're different now. Bring on a 16 or 24 team playoff. Kids won't be opting out.

The players don't see these bowl games as part of the season.

This is a better argument against leaving via the portal because you aren't getting playing time. These kids aren't quitting on anyone. The season is over. What difference does it make if we won or lost against Arkansas? There's 4 teams (Cincinnati, Alabama, Georgia & Michigan) where there was something to play for. If one of them opt out it's a different story.

Listen I'm in my late 40s. I understand the mentality but the fans, including myself, that grew up loving New Year's Day for all the bowls have to realize they no longer have meaning. They don't. Things change and I miss those days but they're different now. Bring on a 16 or 24 team playoff. Kids won't be opting out.

I will be 70 this year and have had season tickets since 1978. I couldn’t agree with you more.

Then not only are you completely missing the point of the bowl game for players, but you are also missing the point of the “bowl experience” from a fan’s perspective.

If you are heading to a pointless bowl (non-playoff bowl) and looking for the ultimate Penn State football experience, then you are setting yourself up for disappointment. But if you are looking to escape the cold with family and get some good R&R, some sun and beach time, as well as some cool excursions, all while visiting a city you’ve never been to, and oh-by-the-way, you get to see the boys in blue toss the pigskin around for a day to boot, then I think you’ll be rewarded with a great experience, win or lose.

Last edited:
Reactions: BowieLion
8839b10242421da30fd29424dc00dea6.jpeg

I agree with you on the family theme. But this is a different world. It is not College Football as we used to know it. It is now all about Money. Super players go to schools that pay the most and will provide them the tools to play professional football. There is no such thing as a student athlete, except for those programs who don't want to compete for a National Championship. Let us be honest , classes are not the important thing for a football player that has professional talent.

Wanna know if you are a leader? Just turn around and see how many people follow you.

Who cares if anyone is okay with it or not. Their career is over once the final scheduled game ends. This is a "reward" for the season. If they don't want the reward let your teammates get some reps. It's not the 80s any more. I miss that era as much as most here seem to but step into present day. These games mean nothing.
Matt Corral made a huge mistake playing in the Sugar Bowl. We'll see more kids opt out now and that's a good thing.
No it’s not. It will destroy the game. As viewership attendance and merchandising decline the big $ will decrease. It’s an untenable situation. It’s not just one sided. In order for players to get the big contracts you have to have fans. You can’t ignore the paying customers and expect the business to thrive. There has to be a balance. It’s not all about the players. They are a large part of the equation but the people that fill the stands buy the merchandise watch the game on tv and donate to the university are stakeholders in this too. As is the university that provides the freaking six figure scholarship.

Last edited:
No it’s not. It will destroy the game. As viewership attendance and merchandising decline the big $ will decrease. It’s an untenable situation. It’s not just one sided. In order for players to get the big contracts you have to have fans. You can’t ignore the paying customers and expect the business to thrive. There has to be a balance. It’s not all about the players. They are a large part of the equation but the people that fill the stands buy the merchandise watch the game on tv and donate to the university are stakeholders in this too.
What? If you eliminate the bowls which they should it won't be a problem. Expand the playoff instead of having meaningless scrimmages. You're not even making sense. Why do customers pay to go to games that are meaningless anyway?

What? If you eliminate the bowls which they should it won't be a problem. Expand the playoff instead of having meaningless scrimmages. You're not even making sense. Why do customers pay to go to games that are meaningless anyway?
I am in favor of a playoff but if you think that will stop opt outs I have some ocean front property in Kansas to sell you. The horse is out of the barn.

I am in favor of a playoff but if you think that will stop opt outs I have some ocean front property in Kansas to sell you. The horse is out of the barn.
Who has opted out of a playoff game so far? The reason kids opt out of these games is they don't matter. Opt out of a playoff game and you're not getting any support from anyone.

I agree. Eliminate bowl games that don't lead to a championship. Why should a 5-7 team ever go to any bowl game?

The only things James Franklin emphasizes are horrible in game coaching, recruiting freak athletes who can't actually play the sport of football, and icing his own kicker, lol.

Reactions: Sooner Lion

This is why we need a minor league football system. If you are playing to get drafted you don't fit into a scholar - athlete world. Two different motivations lead to quitting on your team for the bowl game.

This is why we need a minor league football system. If you are playing to get drafted you don't fit into a scholar - athlete world. Two different motivations lead to quitting on your team for the bowl game.
Can you explain why you care if they play in the bowl game or not? I don't get it at all. What difference does it make? Does it matter if Penn State is 7-6 or 8-5? Either way it's a mediocre season and we had an opportunity to get some of the younger kids snaps for next year.

I would also assume the majority of fans want to see the future stars of the NFL playing college football not minor league football. Minor league football doesn't even make sense IMO.

Can we just be real? College football is a business. It's a billion dollar business. The kids were used for years for it and they should take control of what they can.

Again--the easiest solution is to get rid of these meaningless bowls then everyone is happy.

What does the Championship get the player other than TEAM bragging rights? Why play that game if you are a high draft choice going forward... Why risk injury??

I'll go a bit further. These players are NO longer student athletes and they are no longer on scholarship. They either graduated or left campus to train for the combine. They owed the team to play to the end of the semester, which they did

I have more problems with coaches who leave their teams high and dry before the end of semester while still under contract than a player who fulfilled all of his obligations while on scholarship (hence honoring his contract).

Plus, coaches are making millions while players are not. I guess a few are now with NIL, but players playing in a bowl game have a lot more to lose than the coach.

What does the Championship get the player other than TEAM bragging rights? Why play that game if you are a high draft choice going forward... Why risk injury??

You truly don't comprehend the difference between the playoff and the other bowls? I can't help you. Lesson learned--you're someone unwilling to have a real discussion.

Who has opted out of a playoff game so far? The reason kids opt out of these games is they don't matter. Opt out of a playoff game and you're not getting any support from anyone.
Can you explain why you care if they play in the bowl game or not? I don't get it at all. What difference does it make? Does it matter if Penn State is 7-6 or 8-5? Either way it's a mediocre season and we had an opportunity to get some of the younger kids snaps for next year.
I would also assume the majority of fans want to see the future stars of the NFL playing college football not minor league football. Minor league football doesn't even make sense IMO.

Can we just be real? College football is a business. It's a billion dollar business. The kids were used for years for it and they should take control of what they can.

Again--the easiest solution is to get rid of these meaningless bowls then everyone is happy.
You just don’t see the slippery slope. You now have high school kids opting out of there senior year.

What is next? Not playing in the conference championship game? Quitting at mid season because your team team already lost two games? Not playing in a 16 team playoff because your team is the 15th seed and has little to know chance of winning the whole thing?

Reactions: N&B4PSU and EMCLION
You just don’t see the slippery slope. You now have high school kids opting out of there senior year.

What is next? Not playing in the conference championship game? Quitting at mid season because your team team already lost two games? Not playing in a 16 team playoff because your team is the 15th seed and has little to know chance of winning the whole thing?
I don't have a problem with a kid opting out of a HS season. I think that likely stunts their development and I don't see it as something many should do but if they'd rather hire a trainer and handle it that way that's a risk they take.

Sitting out those games would get a negative reaction from most if not all. This isn't. Even most of those that dislike it at least understand it on some level.

I don't have a problem with a kid opting out of a HS season. I think that likely stunts their development and I don't see it as something many should do but if they'd rather hire a trainer and handle it that way that's a risk they take.

Sitting out those games would get a negative reaction from most if not all. This isn't. Even most of those that dislike it at least understand it on some level.
Not getting a negative reaction? Have you not read the freaking posts from a bunch of football diehards on this board? People that love the sport and have followed it for years and are talking about checking out not renewing tickets, not donating to the university, etc etc. Guess what! if this shit show continues there are going to be a lot more.

I wish you could read the comments from the kids for South Carolina after they not only won a bowl game, but beat heavily favored rival North Carolina OR from the Clemson kids who chose to unite (no opt outs) and cemented their legacy as seniors with another 10 win season. They would refute your assertion that "bowl games no longer have meaning'. I get it as relates to too many bowl games, and I get it re too much emphasis on the National Championship vs. diminished significance and importance of many other bowl games, but a LOT of kids also do care and IMO to make a blanket statement like you did seems a little too quick to judgement.

Not getting a negative reaction? Have you not read the freaking posts from a bunch of football diehards on this board? People that love the sport and have followed it for years and are talking about checking out not renewing tickets, not donating to the university, etc etc. Guess what! if this shit show continues there are going to be a lot more.
These reactions mean nothing. I mean from scouts and those that matter. Who cares if the fans are mad. They owe us nothing.

I wish you could read the comments from the kids for South Carolina after they not only won a bowl game, but beat heavily favored rival North Carolina OR from the Clemson kids who chose to unite (no opt outs) and cemented their legacy as seniors with another 10 win season. They would refute your assertion that "bowl games no longer have meaning'. I get it as relates to too many bowl games, and I get it re too much emphasis on the National Championship vs. diminished significance and importance of many other bowl games, but a LOT of kids also do care and IMO to make a blanket statement like you did seems a little too quick to judgement.
That's great that they enjoyed the experience but it doesn't alter the reality of the situation. Bowls are outdated. The playoff needs to expand. I'm sorry but unless that happens we'll get more and more opt outs as we should.

These reactions mean nothing. I mean from scouts and those that matter. Who cares if the fans are mad. They owe us nothing.
So if Beaver Stadium and Gillette Stadium and Camp Randall Stadium and Arrowhead Stadium etc lose 25 percent of there attendance and the merchandising for the Dallas Cowboys decreases 15 percent and the donations to Virginia Tech decrease by 20 percent the fans don’t matter? The fans pay the bills! But guess what if the product becomes diluted they won’t anymore. You can’t just say it’s all about the players but the people who buy there jerseys, buy tickets to there games don’t matter.

ADVERTISEMENT