ADVERTISEMENT

The World's Largest Student-Run Philanthropy: THON RAISES ANOTHER $10 MILLION #FTK!

I will be donating... 11-yr old nephew just finished up with chemo and is going to start radiation in March for Hodgkins disease. He was going to go up to SC for THON but was advised to stay back due to apparently some documented cases of MUMPS on campus. Anyone else heard this?

I will be donating... 11-yr old nephew just finished up with chemo and is going to start radiation in March for Hodgkins disease. He was going to go up to SC for THON but was advised to stay back due to apparently some documented cases of MUMPS on campus. Anyone else heard this?
Yes, there's 4 cases of mumps on campus, as of Wednesday. Best of luck and prayers to your nephew.

Throwback from @Nellie R...
Vg0vOoT.jpg

The PSU kids should just go on their own free time and just ‘unofficially’ show up (as previously scheduled).

The football players aren't being forced to do anything related to Thon. The NCAA can not stop them from attending, performing, etc as college students. We'll see, but I suspect that they'll perform as usual. In addition, two players are dancing...

The football players aren't being forced to do anything related to Thon. The NCAA can not stop them from attending, performing, etc as college students. We'll see, but I suspect that they'll perform as usual. In addition, two players are dancing...
This isn't related to the performing part, but another event at Lasch where they interact with a lot of the kids + a media event.

Reactions: step.eng69
This isn't related to the performing part, but another event at Lasch where they interact with a lot of the kids + a media event.
I have two thoughts..

1. This doesn't pass the sniff test. I need to hear from Penn State Football to believe this.

2. If true, I'd expect Thon to get more National coverage than ever before and could be a good thing for Penn State, Thon, and the start of serious talks to disband the NCAA as it's now known.

Oh, and On-Ward State is the wild west of journalism. The entire product is opinion therefore the writers can publish whatever they want.

Reactions: step.eng69
Coach Franklin More Proud of THON than Fiesta Bowl Win
By Malia Schimminger | For The Underground
February 16, 2018

Head football coach James Franklin took the stage at THON on Friday night to voice his support for the philanthropy.

“Obviously this year,” Franklin said, “we were able to go out to the Fiesta Bowl and leave with that championship, and we’re very proud of that. But the reality is, I’m more proud [of] what’s happening here tonight.”

Senior offensive lineman Charlie Shuman and senior safety Nick Scott are dancing on behalf of the football team.

Scott remarked that Coach Franklin “makes a huge donation” each year, and this year Franklin donated $10,000 toward the dancers’ fund.

Although the football team will be ineligible to participate in tomorrow’s THON event in the Lasch Building due to NCAA restrictions, alumni of the football program are expected to be in attendance.

Franklin concluded by saying, “We are humbled to be apart of [THON], and I just can’t express to you guys enough: the football program, our coaches—we are so proud to be a part of this community, of THON, and of you guys.”

Last edited:
On the floor last night with my dancer son, he told me his frat got together $1500 and sent it to their THON family at Christmas for presents and food. On top of dealing with their child’s cancer, father had lost his job. So proud of these kids! FTK!

Wish I could like this comment more than one time.....PSU Students and the Greek System do a lot of great things under the radar and nothing at PSU makes me more proud than what happens at THON every year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT