ADVERTISEMENT

The Wheel of Time ...

LafayetteBear

Gold Member
Dec 1, 2009
I'm not trying to get poetical here. Rather, I just wanted to mention that the next big fantasy series to come to the small screen will debut on Amazon Prime Video in November. The series is the "Wheel of Time" series, and is based on Robert Jordan's 14-book saga of the same name.

I am a big fan of the fantasy genre of literature, and in particular of the Wheel of Time. I read both the Wheel of Time and the Game of Thrones books (the ones that had been published prior to the GOT TV series being aired), and think the Wheel of Time books are definitely superior. The series has sold, according to Wikipedia, roughly 90 million books, which is approximately the same number of books that the GOT series has sold with the benefit of the GOT TV series. Each of books 8 through 14 of the Wheel of Time series reached No. 1 on the NYT bestseller list. The only fantasy series to sell more books than Wheel of Time and GOT is the Lord of the Rings series.

Set forth below is a link concerning the Wheel of Time series for those who might be interested. Rosamund Pike will play one of the primary characters. Thought she was incredible in Gone Girl, among other films, so I am encouraged by her participation.

I'm not trying to get poetical here. Rather, I just wanted to mention that the next big fantasy series to come to the small screen will debut on Amazon Prime Video in November. The series is the "Wheel of Time" series, and is based on Robert Jordan's 14-book saga of the same name.

I am a big fan of the fantasy genre of literature, and in particular of the Wheel of Time. I read both the Wheel of Time and the Game of Thrones books (the ones that had been published prior to the GOT TV series being aired), and think the Wheel of Time books are definitely superior. The series has sold, according to Wikipedia, roughly 90 million books, which is approximately the same number of books that the GOT series has sold with the benefit of the GOT TV series. Each of books 8 through 14 of the Wheel of Time series reached No. 1 on the NYT bestseller list. The only fantasy series to sell more books than Wheel of Time and GOT is the Lord of the Rings series.

Set forth below is a link concerning the Wheel of Time series for those who might be interested. Rosamund Pike will play one of the primary characters. Thought she was incredible in Gone Girl, among other films, so I am encouraged by her participation.

This is on my radar for sure. I came to GoT after S1 but before S2 (binge watched nearly the whole first season right before S2 aired). What turned me on to GoT (and I never read the books or even heard of the series prior to the HBO show) was an article on io9.com about the S1 finale - I saw the pic of Dany with the baby dragon and was like, 'I'm f'n in.' What GoT did so well (aside from the outstanding casting of mostly no-name quality actors) was the very high production value and very rich world building. Having source material as dense and well thought out as the GRRM novels helps a ton. My guess is the WoT novels will serve the show similarly. The other essential ingredient to GoT's success was the writing and more importantly the pacing. No, you are not going to get revenge for your family until S7 - so, get ready to wait (but the payoffs were so worth it!). I read a bunch of fantasy stuff when I was younger (Dragonlance Chronicles, the Drzzt Do'Urden D&D books, etc.) so I'm definitely a fan, but recent stuff I've seen (namely Shadow & Bone) just looks...cheap. And, there was too much going on in the beginning (GoT takes it's sweet ass time to start mixing magic/dragons into the show). To that end, the fact that magic/dragons/etc. was limited to very few users made the show that much better, as did the blurring of lines between villains/heroes throughout (the show having you root for Cersei at one point is maybe the greatest feat in the history of television). I believe in WoT, there are a lot of people with magic/powers, and there is a very definite good vs. evil concept. Unfortunately for WoT and every fantasy show after, it will be compared to probably the greatest TV show of all time in GoT.

Still, I'll check it out - Rosamund Pike is awesome. I think this is on Amazon and if they don't cheap out on the budget, it could be really good.

Jordan wrote the novelization of the Conan the Destroyer movie.

I love this genre. GoT is amazing. Like Mid, most of the other shows and movies in the genre get made cheap and have crappy storylines. This sounds potentially to be awesome. Thanks for heads up.

Oh we know you are really into fantasies...... But thanks for the insight on this. I'll give it a shot.

ADVERTISEMENT