ADVERTISEMENT

The wayback machine: 2014-15 (note: 20/20 hindsight)

SetonHallPirate

Mar 31, 2002
Just a thought, but looking at 2014-15, a team that hadn't redshirted Megaludis, Retherford, and Nolf probably would've won the national title that year. (I'm not including Nickal and Nevills because there probably weren't spots in the lineup for them)

Megaludis probably picks up about 10-15 points over Conaway (figure top three instead of eighth), and Retherford certainly picks up 25 or so points over Beitz (figure national champ with a bunch of bonus points instead of round of 24). If we assume Nolf is a low-All-American (probably a good assumption) that year, he probably picks up enough points to end up with a 7-10 point victory over Ohio State.

Just food for thought. Would love to hear what others have to say about it. (note: was inspired by a post on the Hawkeye Report board, about how Penn State had "no chance" of winning a national championship that year, so Cael redshirted the farm)

Just a thought, but looking at 2014-15, a team that hadn't redshirted Megaludis, Retherford, and Nolf probably would've won the national title that year. (I'm not including Nickal and Nevills because there probably weren't spots in the lineup for them)

Megaludis probably picks up about 10-15 points over Conaway (figure top three instead of eighth), and Retherford certainly picks up 25 or so points over Beitz (figure national champ with a bunch of bonus points instead of round of 24). If we assume Nolf is a low-All-American (probably a good assumption) that year, he probably picks up enough points to end up with a 7-10 point victory over Ohio State.

Just food for thought. Would love to hear what others have to say about it. (note: was inspired by a post on the Hawkeye Report board, about how Penn State had "no chance" of winning a national championship that year, so Cael redshirted the farm)

Well, had Retherford not redshirted in 2014-15, then PSU would not have had him last season which most likely means OSU wins the title. Had Nolf not redshirted that year, we wouldn’t have him this season which would have greatly reduced our chances at winning this year.

Well, had Retherford not redshirted in 2014-15, then PSU would not have had him last season which most likely means OSU wins the title. Had Nolf not redshirted that year, we wouldn’t have him this season which would have greatly reduced our chances at winning this year.
Retherford probably redshirts in 16 or 17, when PSU certainly had room to "spare".

I hope my memory is right on this but my thoughts at the time (after the scuffle) was the Dylan Alton looked decent and was doing well coming back, I was thinking good mid to high AA and Nolf high AA. At the time thought Nolf would add minimal points but at the end of the year watching Dylan seemed like he had a bad injury and of course I think Cael was hoping Andrew could comeback and contribute which it appeared to be the case for half the Michigan match. Basically by the time you realize things weren’t materializing it’s too late

Reactions: Dogwelder
I tend to like the 4 years on 1 year off plan.

We are about to see the second cycle complete, including 1 off next year with a combo of Oly and standard redshirts, to be followed by 4 more years of bliss 2021-2024.

Last edited:

if my aunt had balls, she would be my uncle

Interesting discussion. Could we have won, sure. Last year may not have happened. Of course if some of those guys go, other guys/teams may shirt.

We have had some fortunate situations in March. This coming year will be interesting. Hard to believe Feb is here already

Reactions: danoftw

Not sure how 2014-15 would have turned out, but props to HR for going "next level" with the Flo conspiracy theories in that thread. Hilarious.
black-helicopters1.jpg

SHP trying to stir up crap. :)

Weren't you around for the Hatfieldss and McCoys, the Hatfields of the "redshirt 'em" line of thinking and the McCoys of the "win the championship, following years be damned" vein?

It nearly tore this and the 247sports board apart. Opinions, of which everyone had one, were flying around like, well, stuff that flies around. Families were torn apart, kids were ostracized, if they happened to have a differing opinion. I'm pretty sure there were divorces because of it.

And, then, 2016 happened, the sun rose in the East, the flowers bloomed, birds sang, and all was well with the world. It turned out, Cael had a plan, after all, and we're still enjoying the fruits of that exact plan to this day.

HR is freekin hilarious right now. The woe is me is at an all time high. Truly comical. I can honestly say, I've never seen anyone say so little with so many words than Vodka. He has a gift. Lol

For what its worth...
We were about 20 points below our theoretical max points that year...since Hunter Steiber was injured and contributed zero points at nationals.

I would have loved to see a fully healthy tOSU squad vs a non-redshirting PSU squad. That would have been a hell of a team race.

SHP trying to stir up crap. :)

Weren't you around for the Hatfieldss and McCoys, the Hatfields of the "redshirt 'em" line of thinking and the McCoys of the "win the championship, following years be damned" vein?

It nearly tore this and the 247sports board apart. Opinions, of which everyone had one, were flying around like, well, stuff that flies around. Families were torn apart, kids were ostracized, if they happened to have a differing opinion. I'm pretty sure there were divorces because of it.

And, then, 2016 happened, the sun rose in the East, the flowers bloomed, birds sang, and all was well with the world. It turned out, Cael had a plan, after all, and we're still enjoying the fruits of that exact plan to this day.
I was around, I'm not sure I remember it. For what it's worth, if I were the coach of any team aspiring to win a national championship in the future that had the horses, I would've redshirted the farm this year. If I were coach at Iowa, Spencer Lee would be redshirting this year. If I were the coach at Michigan, Mason Parris would be redshirting this year. If I were the head coach at Ohio State, Heinselman, Pletcher, McKenna, Campbell, and Martin would all be redshirting this year. I simply don't believe that any of those teams (or any team that is not the focal point of this message board) has a shot at winning a national title this year.

Isn't really me trying to stir up crap, but certainly makes for an interesting conversation, especially in light of how everything turned out. That said, obviously I'm speaking with 20/20 hindsight. I don't think anybody expected the team race to be as (relatively) close as it was, and I really thought Iowa was a near-prohibitive favorite. (obviously, I was 100% wrong there)

For what its worth...
We were about 20 points below our theoretical max points that year...since Hunter Steiber was injured and contributed zero points at nationals.

I would have loved to see a fully healthy tOSU squad vs a non-redshirting PSU squad. That would have been a hell of a team race.
Agreed!

I was around, I'm not sure I remember it. For what it's worth, if I were the coach of any team aspiring to win a national championship in the future that had the horses, I would've redshirted the farm this year. If I were coach at Iowa, Spencer Lee would be redshirting this year. If I were the coach at Michigan, Mason Parris would be redshirting this year. If I were the head coach at Ohio State, Heinselman, Pletcher, McKenna, Campbell, and Martin would all be redshirting this year. I simply don't believe that any of those teams (or any team that is not the focal point of this message board) has a shot at winning a national title this year.

Isn't really me trying to stir up crap, but certainly makes for an interesting conversation, especially in light of how everything turned out. That said, obviously I'm speaking with 20/20 hindsight. I don't think anybody expected the team race to be as (relatively) close as it was, and I really thought Iowa was a near-prohibitive favorite. (obviously, I was 100% wrong there)
I was just messing around about stirring crap up. It's history at this point, and I'll bet no one holds a grudge.

Reactions: SetonHallPirate
HR is freekin hilarious right now. The woe is me is at an all time high. Truly comical. I can honestly say, I've never seen anyone say so little with so many words than Vodka. He has a gift. Lol
You love HR! I know it!

That implies it is all up to the coaches. The wrestlers and their families get a vote too. Maybe they don’t want to wait an extra year to start their real life. Likely they are not all on full scholly so there are financial implications... Pat Tillman famously told his coaches at ASU that they could put him on the field or not but he was only going to be in school for 4 years. He had bigger aspirations ...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT