ADVERTISEMENT

The third down play with 2 minutes left

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
I wonder if the real problem here was not the play call, which seemed horrific, but with Clifford’s decision to throw long. Were there not other receivers running short routes he could have gone to?

That was my biggest WTF call of the game, 3rd and 4, needing only a 1st down and another series to run out the clock, Clifford throws a low % 40 yd. pass to nobody. Is that Rahne's fault or the QB?

I wonder if the real problem here was not the play call, which seemed horrific, but with Clifford’s decision to throw long. Were there not other receivers running short routes he could have gone to?
I said the same thing to my wife. Look for something underneath.

Reactions: Omar81
mind_numbing.jpg

It looked like they ran the same pattern with #87 underneath as the TD last week but Pitt jumped it. Maybe he had a chance of running for it. At least that would have forced Pitt to use their final TO.

In the post game presser, Franklin said a player ran the wrong play. I’m guessing it shouldn’t have been a long throw.

Reactions: NJPSU
"The third down play with 2 minutes left".....

should have been the third down play with 85 seconds left if PSU is smart enough to let the play clock run down and then snap the ball with 1 or 2 seconds left on the play clock..... and then even a running play on that 3rd down play would have used up half of the remaining time and the game would have been over with pitt still deep in their own territory.....

Poorest end of game time management I have ever seen.

EDIT: actually after watching the replay PSU could have run an additional 31 seconds off the game clock on the last PSU drive, before the third down pass play that stopped the clock, just by snapping the ball with 3 seconds left on the play clock on each of those 5 plays. And also forced pitt to use it's last timeout by running on 3rd down or completing a short, safe pass.

Last edited:

should have been the third down play with 85 seconds left if PSU is smart enough to let the play clock run down and then snap the ball with 1 or 2 seconds left on the play clock..... and then even a running play on that 3rd down play would have used up half of the remaining time and the game would have been over with pitt still deep in their own territory.....

Clock Management is not an explosive play stat...... lol

Last edited:
Reactions: BBrown
It was the dumbass call of the game with the possible exception of Narduzzi getting cute with four downs from the one yard line and not seriously trying to run.

Reactions: BBrown

They did other than the first snap. Did you want a delay of game call?

Another 3rd down call that was terrible:

3rd and 6 at ~50 yard line. It was the drive right after the Cain TD and quick stop by our defense. Ran the ball to the short side of the field for no gain. Even Fowler commented on how unbelievably conservative the call was when PSU had all the momentum.

Rahne just doesn’t have it.

Another 3rd down call that was terrible:

3rd and 6 at ~50 yard line. It was the drive right after the Cain TD and quick stop by our defense. Ran the ball to the short side of the field for no gain. Even Fowler commented on how unbelievably conservative the call was when PSU had all the momentum.

Rahne just doesn’t have it.

On that play, announcers were talking up Friermuth and as we’re in the snap count, I go, “no Friermuth, no Hamler, no Dotson, wtf?’ And then we see the result.

They did other than the first snap. Did you want a delay of game call?

Just watched it to see the actual times. The first play of the drive was not shown on TV in detail (split screen with no play clock shown), but that first play was run with 15+ seconds on the play clock.

1st down 15+ seconds
2nd down 14 seconds - resulted in a 1st down
1st down 9 seconds
2nd down 4 seconds
3rd down 4 seconds - unadvised long chuck pass that stopped the clock.

If each of those 5 plays were snapped at 3 seconds (a reasonable average although a QB looking at the clock should be able to run it down to 1 or 2 seconds), and then the 3rd down play was a run or a short pass completion which should be the strategy when the game clock is the most important game factor:

31 seconds lost due to not running clock down before snaps
37 seconds due to stopping the clock with the chuck pass (40 second play clock and snapped at 3 seconds for the punt)
1 minute 8 seconds could have been run off additionally.

Pitt started the drive with 1:56 and 1 time out, and with basic strategy to drain the clock Pitt would have instead had just 48 seconds on the game clock when they ran their first play after receiving the punt. Or has been pointed out below, somewhat more time but without a timeout left to them.....

Last edited:
Just watched it to see the actual times. The first play of the drive was not shown on TV in detail (split screen with no play clock shown), but that first play was run with 15+ seconds on the play clock.

1st down 15+ seconds
1st down 9 seconds
2nd down 4 seconds

If each of those 5 plays were snapped at 3 seconds (a reasonable average although a QB looking at the clock should be able to run it down to 1 or 2 seconds), and then the 3rd down play was a run or a short pass completion which should be the strategy when the game clock is the most important game factor:

37 seconds due to stopping the clock with the chuck pass (40 second play clock and snapped at 3 seconds for the punt)

Pitt started the drive with 1:56 and 1 time out, and with basic strategy to drain the clock Pitt would have instead had just 48 seconds on the game clock when they ran their first play after receiving the punt.

I'm guessing if we don't throw the long pass on 3rd down that stops the clock that Pitt would have used it's final timeout. So they would have had more time when they got the ball back but no timeouts. But your point is well taken.

1st down 15+ seconds
1st down 9 seconds
2nd down 4 seconds

Pitt started the drive with 1:56 and 1 time out, and with basic strategy to drain the clock Pitt would have instead had just 48 seconds on the game clock when they ran their first play after receiving the punt.

Since the 1st down play occurred after change of possession the game clock does not start until the snap. So it wouldn’t really matter where the play clock was on that play.

Reactions: GregInPitt

I would hope even a qb as young as Clifford knows that all we need is 4 yards and a first down. A completed 40 yard pass at that point of the game really doesn't mean much. I think he could have hit Hammler for the first and if not than at least try and run for it and take another 20 seconds off the clock instead of the inc. pass stopping the clock.
There were a ton of mental issues yesterday...from the staff to the players.

1st down 15+ seconds
1st down 9 seconds
2nd down 4 seconds

You hope some of this is on the QB, but since McSorley did the same thing, you have to conclude that it is poor coaching and is part of the offensive philosophy. At least they are consistent on something because the rest of the offense makes no sense and shows they have no idea what they want to accomplish.

That was my biggest WTF call of the game, 3rd and 4, needing only a 1st down and another series to run out the clock, Clifford throws a low % 40 yd. pass to nobody. Is that Rahne's fault or the QB?

Why is it everyone can throw a quick short yardage slant against us for a first down and we never can?

Reactions: 94LionsFan

Sitting in the north end zone with the play going towards the south end zone, it appeared to me that Clifford intended to throw a short pass over the middle, but the receiver was covered. Pitt then got pressure, Clifford rolled to the right trying to find someone open in the intermediate area, couldn’t and eventually threw it away deep. Some fans seem to forget, this was only Clifford’s 3rd start.

1st down 15+ seconds
1st down 9 seconds
2nd down 4 seconds

Pitt started the drive with 1:56 and 1 time out, and with basic strategy to drain the clock Pitt would have instead had just 48 seconds on the game clock when they ran their first play after receiving the punt. Or has been pointed out below, somewhat more time but without a timeout left to them.....

All you need to know about PSU and clock management could be learned in the Indiana game last year. 6 or 7 minutes left and leading by a healthy amount, I figured it was safe to leave. Instead, PSU comes out and throws 3 straight passes with no time coming off the clock and as a result, we're sitting in that stiff wind for another half hour and sweating out an onside kick opportunity. At some point, the idiots on the sideline have to learn something before they can teach the kids how to handle it.

EDIT: actually after watching the replay PSU could have run an additional 31 seconds off the game clock on the last PSU drive, before the third down pass play that stopped the clock, just by snapping the ball with 3 seconds left on the play clock on each of those 5 plays. And also forced pitt to use it's last timeout by running on 3rd down or completing a short, safe pass.
I have never understood why they don’t let the play clock run down in that situation. Why?

ADVERTISEMENT