ADVERTISEMENT

The Social Dilemma on Netflix should be required viewing for all human beings

add to that the fact that clicks drive everything, and you have a perfect storm of "information" (read: MISinformation) being fed to the masses in the most hysterical possible form, to ensure clicks. self-licking ice cream cone...

again, going to the click bait side of things, what are the incentives for FB, Twitter, IG.... etc to police this shit? When clicks drive everything, it incentivizes these fake accounts to be as outrageous as possible....

the overall saddest part of all of this is the fact that a lot, MAYBE the majority of Americans believe this nonsense and don't verify things. When I went to SERE school 5-6 years ago, I was the student that they decided to do a social media dive on. I thought I was doing a great job of locking down my accounts, but the information they could find on me in the open source realm was shocking. We're talking, they asked me things like "is your government aware that you hired a coyote to mule your illegal wife across the border??" and "you have a trailer that you call your "mobile command center", and you have numerous pictures of your firearms, are you fomenting dissent in your country and do you plan to do so in ours?"... DISTURBING. Privacy is one of the big reasons that I deleted all my social media accounts, but i've seen what happens on them nowadays, and it's really really sad that people are so uneducated that they trust everything they see on social media as "fact"....

ugh.... this pisses me off just to talk about. social media is going to be the downfall of society.
You went through SERE? Military or DoD?

I have used Nord VPN at home and in Europe for the last 3 years and it is very good at keeping your information encrypted and private. One of the first things I noticed was I wasn’t getting annoying ads for products or services because I had searched for a similar product. If you are concerned about privacy you may want to check it out I use it on all my devices, desktop, iPad, iPhone etc. It automatically logs me into a server in the US or I can pick other countries to log into their servers there.

I don't do the Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or any of those things. Apparently this board is the only "social media platform" that I use. Is Tom McA taking my personal information and using it in some way. Poor guy.
Watch Millie the Millennial's docu if you want to see what is really done w/ social media.

It exists, but you have to work harder to find it. Much easier to click a link to some noname twitter account who says something. Just look at all the clicks/links Sir Yacht got on this board alone - he has no legitimate reputation or career as a journalist and people were waiting with baited breath on his updates, That's not to say you have to be an established journalist to break news or anything, but the barriers of entry to 'legitimacy' are lower than ever. No fact checking, sources, etc. - just say whatever and pivot if wrong.
Sir Yacht eventually got it right. Or was it just dumb luck?

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
It certainly did not. Folks on the right perceive it as such because Fox News has been telling them for 20 years that they and they alone are Fair & Balanced and all other news sources are biased. It’s core to their viewer retention strategy. Your statement just underscores their success in warping your perception to their benefit.
Have you watched CNN, or MSNBC in the last 5 years?

Why is it that almost every form of the visual and performing arts are so negative!
No thank you, I have no need to see yet another negative thing.
Comparing today’s negative music to the positive vibes from the doo wop era says quite a lot about us.
Agree big time with this

Talk about looking in the mirror. If you don’t feel ashamed of yourself, or at the very least a little dirty, after watching this documentary, you are a better person than I.

I could be wrong, but I think this documentary came out of this guy's (below - Jonathan Haidt) study/book on social media.

I watched The Social Dilemma and agree it should be required viewing for at least every American.

This video should be required right there with it.

Perhaps his book should be required reading too. I'm going to check it out when I get a chance.

I recommended The Social Dilemma to everybody after watching it. It solidified some of what I already believed and educated me on things I wasn't aware of. I had already begun to turn off the 24 hr news networks for similar reasons. I now only watch local news. It's the only source I can trust to just give me the news without an agenda.

I don't have Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest or anything other than Facebook. In reference to the Documentary I only use Google and Facebook. As for Facebook, I only need it for work and family, so after watching the movie I removed any groups, pages or friends that didn't have anything to do with work or family.

As for Facebook feeding me videos and advertisements in order to keep my attention, I was already aware of their agenda but I hadn't taken action other than tuning them out. I would just scroll past them. Now, in addition to scrolling on by, I will also be conscious of time spent on Facebook and I will shut it down after getting what I need from it.

Reactions: BoulderFish
At 58, the biggest change I have noticed in public discourse is the intolerance of disagreement. It does not even matter if the disagreement happens to be true. What John Haidt was saying about the amplification of outrage caused by social media is absolutely correct. It is as if people now have a brain circuit that permanently bypasses their higher thought centers.

In 1984, Orwell wrote about how The Party sought change speech in such a way as to make it more a function of the throat instead of the brain. They called it “ duckspeak “.

Agreed--I'm definitely on the right side of the aisle for certain things, but Rush has been a shit-stirrer for years. I haven't had a chance to watch the Netflix show mentioned by the OP yet, but it is in my queue.

IMO, the internet is society's biggest blessing and its biggest curse. It has brought education and information to the masses, however it also brought "education" and "information" to the masses. Every idiot now has a platform that can get millions of eyeballs. Some of the memes and "stories" re-tweeted, shared on Facebook, etc. are just pure BS yet those sharing it don't think twice before clicking the button.

Don't need social media to stir the shit. MSNBC does it every night.

I could be wrong, but I think this documentary came out of this guy's (below - Jonathan Haidt) study/book on social media.

I watched The Social Dilemma and agree it should be required viewing for at least every American.

This video should be required right there with it.

Perhaps his book should be required reading too. I'm going to check it out when I get a chance.

I don't know what instigated the movie but the first I heard in depth on the topic was in April 2017 (which pre-dates Haidt's book) when Tristan Harris (who is featured prominently "The Social Dilemma") was interviewed on Sam Harris's podcast. (The two Harrises are not related BTW.) I had never heard of Tristan Harris before that but he really opened my eyes on that podcast. Here is the link to it.

https://samharris.org/podcasts/what-is-technology-doing-to-us/

Jon Haidt, who I was aware of long before I became aware of Tristan Harris, is absolutely fantastic. In addition to his book from a year or so ago about social media and young people and the rise of anxiety disorders among college students, etc, he has a book about why people split on politics ("The Righteous Mind") and a book about happiness ("The Happiness Hypothesis") and they are all good. Every book, article, interview or presentation I've seen him do has been good.

ADVERTISEMENT