ADVERTISEMENT

The saga of Randy Bachman’s favorite guitar.

The Spin Meister

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
Randy Bachman was the lead guy for the Guess Who and Bachman Turner Overdrive and had a lot of hits. Seems that he had his favorite guitar stolen way back in 1977 in a hotel in Toronto. It was the guitar he used to write American Women. Said he cried for three days. Talked about it often.
Well, a fan heard the story, used modified facial recognition software to search for it and found it in Japan. And the story of how Randy got it back is just as interesting....

Randy Bachman was the lead guy for the Guess Who and Bachman Turner Overdrive and had a lot of hits. Seems that he had his favorite guitar stolen way back in 1977 in a hotel in Toronto. It was the guitar he used to write American Women. Said he cried for three days. Talked about it often.
Well, a fan heard the story, used modified facial recognition software to search for it and found it in Japan. And the story of how Randy got it back is just as interesting....

Amazing story!

Great story...reminds me of Pink Floyd selling their guitars for charity. they had hundreds used in concerts and in development sessions. A few they decided they missed a few of these guitars and wanted them back. So they reached out to buy them back.

Cool story. Coincidentally I had the song No Sugar Tonight going through my head the other day so I was streaming it and looked up the Guess Who. Other than the music I didn't know anything about them, really, or that Randy Bachman had been a part of the group before forming BTO. Some interesting stuff there, like how the Guess Who name grew out of a publicity stunt and how Randy left the group just as it was peaking after his conversion to LDS.

Cool story. Coincidentally I had the song No Sugar Tonight going through my head the other day so I was streaming it and looked up the Guess Who. Other than the music I didn't know anything about them, really, or that Randy Bachman had been a part of the group before forming BTO. Some interesting stuff there, like how the Guess Who name grew out of a publicity stunt and how Randy left the group just as it was peaking after his conversion to LDS.
IIRC, the famous guitar work that starts "American Woman" was discovered when they took the stage one night. RB broke a string so things paused while he prepared it. Once done, RB just started playing this riff. RB started the rift and just kept going. Others joined in. the singer said the first line "American woman, stay away from MEee". You can see why an artist might feel like a certain instrument had a certain magic and soul.

The entire story and meaning of the song is here

IIRC, the famous guitar work that starts "American Woman" was discovered when they took the stage one night. RB broke a string so things paused while he prepared it. Once done, RB just started playing this riff. RB started the rift and just kept going. Others joined in. the singer said the first line "American woman, stay away from MEee". You can see why an artist might feel like a certain instrument had a certain magic and soul.

The entire story and meaning of the song is here

Wow, don’t know how anybody could have though this a song that praised the women of America.

ADVERTISEMENT