ADVERTISEMENT

The Phyrst is open for business in 'green phase'

You don't have to be packed to the rafters for a bar to make money. Prices in State College are greatly inflated in the first place. Prices vary from locale to locale.

1/2 barrel of yuengling is $126.00 ON AVERAGE - my original price of $30 was a very old price list!
1/2 barrel of yuengling yields approximately 125 16 oz. glasses
16 oz. glass of beer cost $1.00

Therefore cost of a glass of beer should be using the 3x rule where x is the cost of the product will be $3.00 . That covers the cost of the beer (0.33%), cost of overhear (0.33%), and profit (0.33%). In general that glass of yuengling cost $6.00 in State College. By my calculation, that is a profit of $3.00/glass.

Last edited:
You don't have to be packed to the rafters for a bar to make money. Prices in State College are greatly inflated in the first place. Prices vary from locale to locale.

1/2 barrel of yuengling is $30.00
16 oz. glass of beer cost $0.24

Therefore cost of a glass of beer should be using the 3x rule where x is the cost of the product will be $0.72 . That covers the cost of the beer (0.33%), cost of overhear (0.33%), and profit (0.33%). In general that glass of yuengling cost $6.00. By my calculation, that is a profit of $5.52/glass.
Not sure where you got your numbers on that but I don’t think a half of Lager has been that cheap in a long time. Seems to me I recall hearing the wholesale price on even Coors ten years ago was $52-55 a half.

And no bar outside of a resort is selling lager for $6 a pint. Most places around town sell it for $2-3 a pint.

Now I’m not saying selling beer isn’t profitable, it’s just not as profitable as you make it out to be - unless of course you brew it yourself.

1/2 barrel of yuengling is $30.00
16 oz. glass of beer cost $0.24

Therefore cost of a glass of beer should be using the 3x rule where x is the cost of the product will be $0.72 . That covers the cost of the beer (0.33%), cost of overhear (0.33%), and profit (0.33%). In general that glass of yuengling cost $6.00. By my calculation, that is a profit of $5.52/glass.
You got everything in your post wrong. Everything.

No standing and you're not allowed within 6 ft of another group... how will bars survive? Will there be any live music?

Link: Phyrst Opens

I’m sure they’re just glad to finally be open now. ;)

It’s a good question if bars and restaurants will be able to survive under the new rules. I’m afraid many will be closing over the next few months between customer volume decreases from limited occupancy rules and many people still being cautious about going out.

Not sure where you got your numbers on that but I don’t think a half of Lager has been that cheap in a long time. Seems to me I recall hearing the wholesale price on even Coors ten years ago was $52-55 a half.

And no bar outside of a resort is selling lager for $6 a pint. Most places around town sell it for $2-3 a pint.

Now I’m not saying selling beer isn’t profitable, it’s just not as profitable as you make it out to be - unless of course you brew it yourself.

Mea Culpa, list I found online originally was obviously very old! Checked 7 places on line, average cost of 1/2 of Yuengling Lager without deposit came to $126.

Changes my average profit to approximately $3.00/glass. Of course some places charge more/less on individual brands because it is more profitable with little hassle with current cash registers (i.e. computers).

Just updated the cost of 1/2 barrel. If I am sooooooooooooooo wrong. What is correct? When you present a problem, have solution or else ...
When I worked for IBM, the head of the DP division called that “ regal dissent.” I.e. if you say something is wrong, you have to say what is right in your opinion.
We have way, way too much carping without content.

Reactions: Fac
State College beer/liquor prices in bars are as cheap as you will see almost anywhere.
When I worked for IBM, the head of the DP division called that “ regal dissent.” I.e. if you say something is wrong, you have to say what is right in your opinion.
We have way, way too much carping without content.
He underestimated the price of a keg for a bar by nearly $100. Also, college towns have MUCH cheaper bar prices than other towns. And you're ripping me?

I was downtown a couple of hours ago. Lots of people and students walking around. Lines at 210 and doggies. Other bars had many people inside.

Reactions: psu00
I was downtown a couple of hours ago. Lots of people and students walking around. Lines at 210 and doggies. Other bars had many people inside.
Was also downtown Friday around 6 PM and long lines at both places. I wonder if Doggie's is set up for food service. I forgot to check above Doggie's. Any sign of the proposed restaurant being worked on?

I was in local whiskey on Saturday. Was there a few hours. Nice flow of people in and out as far as what they are allowed to have under new rules.

Seats at bar in normally times were about 25. Now can seat 7-8. All booths are able to be used. They out plastic glass type shields between them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT