ADVERTISEMENT

THE PATH to the NCAA Championships

I don't know about that. Though he's only wrestled two matches, Marinelli certainly hasn't been a scoring machine. And with Valencia taking Griffith 7-1, if I'm the bull or anyone else at 165, I'm taking Valencia a lot more serious than in the past. And since Valencia pinned the bull the only time they faced off, I'm really taking him serious. And frankly, if I'm the bull and I'm reflecting back on how poor my results were the last two NCAA tournaments, I'm taking everybody seriously. :)
Having seen that match, ^^ this is the correct take. We've seen how explosive Valencia can be -- and in this case, he hit a 6 while Griffith had his leg in the air.

I don't think we can use this match to rule out Griffith either. The mistake he made against Valencia isn't a mistake against most opponents. It wasn't terribly dissimilar from Bo Nickal's winning takedown against Gabe Dean in the national finals.

I don't know about that. Though he's only wrestled two matches, Marinelli certainly hasn't been a scoring machine. And with Valencia taking Griffith 7-1, if I'm the bull or anyone else at 165, I'm taking Valencia a lot more serious than in the past. And since Valencia pinned the bull the only time they faced off, I'm really taking him serious. And frankly, if I'm the bull and I'm reflecting back on how poor my results were the last two NCAA tournaments, I'm taking everybody seriously. :)
I will rephrase. Valencia, Griffith, nor anyone else at 165 will “dismantle” Marinelli.

Last edited:
I will rephrase. Valencia, Griffith, nor anyone else at 165 will “dismantle” Marinelli.
Joe Lee is a terrible match-up for Marinelli. He will certainly take him out in the early rounds.
Line is wet, bait is set for @jmadden1998 ;)
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Nico Aguilar is out and being replaced by Shawver per Willie. Kanniard (Rutgers) is also out out 157 and not being replaced. If true, that is really stupid on behalf of the Rutgers coaching staff because I know he is #30 in the coaches ranking but he is 1-3 and I just can't see how he would get picked for an at-large with all the other people who will need them. He is #30 in the coaches ranking currently.

It's pretty hard to argue Marinelli is not the front runner. Where he breaks down is through the national tourney. I think iit is too many matches in a short period against formidable competition. I wonder how much weight he cuts. Net net, he is very very good but until I see him navigate NCAAs all the way I think he still needs to prove it. For Bigs he is the front runner.IMO

Last edited:
It's pretty hard not to argue Marinelli is not the front runner.

Come again.

Did you mean that it's easy for you to argue Marinelli isn't the front runner based on his past NCAA tournament performances?

Or maybe it's just pretty hard for you not to argue.

I cannot begin to try and translate
Net net, her is very very good

Stanford, eerily similar to Penn State. When downsizing a board is the proper thing to do, add more. Sad situation.

Reactions: diggerpup and Ski
Griffith had run off 43 consecutive wins since he last lost 6-4 to Vincenzo Joseph at the 2019 Southern Scuffle. That was in his RS year so this was his 1st official College defeat.

165 is one of the few weights where the Big Ten doesn't dominate. IMO, who gets to face Marinelli in the Big Ten finals is up for grabs.

I concur. And I think Marinelli has learned from his past. Almost hate that Joseph isn't around for another year or two...every match between he and Alex was worth the cost of admission! :)
Couldn't agree more! When they locked up upper body if you didn't get out of your seat you were in the minority......truly great competition from two warriors.

Couldn't agree more! When they locked up upper body if you didn't get out of your seat you were in the minority......truly great competition from two warriors.
Amen to that, my friend! A few old Iowa friends and I discussed those matches back in the day and opined that Marinelli and Joseph should opt for Pay Per View matches. Again, definitely worth the cost for admission. And like you said, when they locked up upper you were either out of your seat or not watching. Those were some of my all time favorites, regardless of which man won. :)

Amen to that, my friend! A few old Iowa friends and I discussed those matches back in the day and opined that Marinelli and Joseph should opt for Pay Per View matches. Again, definitely worth the cost for admission. And like you said, when they locked up upper you were either out of your seat or not watching. Those were some of my all time favorites, regardless of which man won. :)

Alex admitted in his interview with Sparks afterwards that he got overconfident in the dual and just assumed he would always win the upper body situation against Cenzo. He knew he had to bail on the position a few times at Big Tens. Looked like fireworks would happen a few times but ultimately it became a chess match that Bull came out on top of.

Love that him and Cenzo dapped up in the middle of the match basically as a salute and hat tip to one another. Even more sad is that would coincidentally be the last time they face in folk. Disappointed in the result but happy at the same time for a great kid in Alex!

Alex admitted in his interview with Sparks afterwards that he got overconfident in the dual and just assumed he would always win the upper body situation against Cenzo. He knew he had to bail on the position a few times at Big Tens. Looked like fireworks would happen a few times but ultimately it became a chess match that Bull came out on top of.

Love that him and Cenzo dapped up in the middle of the match basically as a salute and hat tip to one another. Even more sad is that would coincidentally be the last time they face in folk. Disappointed in the result but happy at the same time for a great kid in Alex!
yep...I wanted a Natty finals rematch...

This is all correct. Adding onto it:

1. Save Stanford Wrestling has already raised enough money to endow the entire program except for the athletic scholarships. (Though the program has only 5.5 rides -- school cut that back too.)

2. Not just the trustees, school admin especially not interested. In one of the articles, it was noted that the Ohio State president participated in calls with the school -- she's a Stanford Olympic sports alum and former US Cabinet officer. No dice. The school has its heels dug in and won't listen to even people that powerful and influential.

3. The school has rebuffed other pleas from high-profile Stanford Athletics alums like Andrew Luck and Mike Mussina.

At this point, it's clear that the school does not want to keep any of the 11 sports regardless of money.

Also, insert here Adam Tirapelle tweet about Stanford not cutting any of its roughly 37,000 assistant ADs.
Not sure what gets the attention of a university that has a 30 billion dollar endowment, but alumni that truly want the sports saved and want the trustee's attention start pushing for generous alumni to stop being generous.

Nico Aguilar is out and being replaced by Shawver per Willie. Kanniard (Rutgers) is also out out 157 and not being replaced. If true, that is really stupid on behalf of the Rutgers coaching staff because I know he is #30 in the coaches ranking but he is 1-3 and I just can't see how he would get picked for an at-large with all the other people who will need them. He is #30 in the coaches ranking currently.
Y would kanniard be out and not be replaced?

3) On the wrestling front, alumni and parents of wrestlers are considering a class-action lawsuit as a last resort

I can see how a class could be certified (which is the first hurdle for a class action lawsuit), but I'm extremely skeptical of any scenario whereby a court tells a university that it lacked the discretion to kill off a particular sport and orders it to reinstate that sport. Breach being the typical basis for class actions (or gross negligence), I can't imagine how Stanford (or any school) would have somehow contractually obligated itself to keep a particular sport. Perhaps there could be damages shown by students who reasonably relied to their detriment on Stanford's implied or explicit promises (promissory estoppel), but damages and reinstatement are different animals. A class action of this sort, if it doesn't get immediately booted, would last years because schools would see it as new danger if one succeeded.

I just went and watched their last B10s match again...what a battle; a real chess match as you said. It really looked like Cenzo had a TD a few times during the match, but Alex somehow escaped them...not sure how. Regardless, just great match. I actually traveled to Iowa City (wife hated the cold weather) for the PSU dual earlier that January, and when Cenzo put Alex on his back in the 2nd period, the air went out of CHA, but only for a few secs as the battle waged on with Alex getting that last second reversal to end the period. And the 3rd was a great chess match won by Cenzo, but was still fun as hell to watch! Even in the loss, it was just a great fricking match...more than worth the price of admission! Pure energy on the mat and in the stands when those two fellas came together! :)

I just went and watched their last B10s match again...what a battle; a real chess match as you said. It really looked like Cenzo had a TD a few times during the match, but Alex somehow escaped them...not sure how. Regardless, just great match. I actually traveled to Iowa City (wife hated the cold weather) for the PSU dual earlier that January, and when Cenzo put Alex on his back in the 2nd period, the air went out of CHA, but only for a few secs as the battle waged on with Alex getting that last second reversal to end the period. And the 3rd was a great chess match won by Cenzo, but was still fun as hell to watch! Even in the loss, it was just a great fricking match...more than worth the price of admission! Pure energy on the mat and in the stands when those two fellas came together! :)
Im startin to like you NH, gonna be a honor to put your $50 towards NLWC in your name🤑

ADVERTISEMENT