ADVERTISEMENT

THE PATH to the NCAA Championships

RoarLions1

May 11, 2012
We all know the drill at the Big Ten Championships. It's awesome to win, and that's what the coaches and wrestlers want, but in the big picture scheme, it's more important to earn advancement to the big dance.

So I used the (Mr?) Fink post (https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/first-crack-at-big-ten-seeds.290514/) as the basis for a review by weight class. I'll do this a couple weight classes at a time.

Howard at #10 or #11 gets him the #7 or #6 seed, respectively, in the first round. His possible opponents, Schroder (#6, PUR) and DeAugustino (#7, NU) are solid, strong wrestlers, and Schroder in particular as a talented 5th year senior will be a tough out. Howard matches up better vs DeAugustino imo, so this match-up gives the best chance of a first round win. DeAugustino will be favored, so I’m moving Howard to wrestlebacks. Note that 1 win against an NCAA qualifier is huge from a criteria standpoint if it comes down to at-large selection.

Here’s where there’s an advantage to 10th seed, as the loser of 10 vs 7 gets a bye in the first round of wrestlebacks. The 11 vs 6 loser gets the 14 seed, so Howard could face the same Maryland wrestler he beat handily at the dual. Next up should be either Foley (#5, MSU) or Barnett (#8, WIS) -- Foley if Howard is the 11 seed, Barnett if he’s the 10 seed. Assuming the path goes as I suggest, this is the match that will earn Howard a trip to NCAA’s. Top-8 go at 125. 9th and/or 10th place finishers may get an at-large selection.

RBY will get a bye into the second round. With Micic not wrestling, move everyone up one place in Fink’s post. In round two, he would face the #8/#9 winner, which could be Medley if you go by the Coaches Ranking. RBY should easily move on, even if it’s not Medley, and will likely face the #4/#5 winner, Cannon or Byrd. Both are freshmen, and neither have a particularly impressive resume, so RBY all the way. Alvarez vs DeSanto could be an entertaining semi-final – they’ve never met so we’ll see if Alvarez’s length gives DeSanto problems. Guessing not and DeSanto’s motor wins out. Whoever it is, the winner will face RBY.

Of course, RBY could be the #2 seed. If so, he’ll have a similar bout in quarters, but facing Dryden instead, a bout RBY should handle. The semis would likely see a bout with Alvarez, a wrestler RBY has beaten twice, once in Sudden Victory. Win, which RBY should, and the finals match-up is the same. RBY will be in St. Louis.

Last edited:
I’ve made it. Roar is using my seeds for his write up. Every year I can’t wait for the best post of the year, Roar’s Tourney preview. Now I’m a small part of it

125 is going to be a meat grinder. In a normal year, the Big Ten would probably have 10 or 11 spots not 8. There is probably a good chance that the Big 10 will get at least a couple of at larges. There are 7 available. Howard will need to beat someone good but there is no reason to think he won’t.

I’ve made it. Roar is using my seeds for his write up. Every year I can’t wait for the best post of the year, Roar’s Tourney preview. Now I’m a small part of it

big-deal.gif

125 is going to be a meat grinder. In a normal year, the Big Ten would probably have 10 or 11 spots not 8. There is probably a good chance that the Big 10 will get at least a couple of at larges. There are 7 available. Howard will need to beat someone good but there is no reason to think he won’t.
125 only has 4 guys in the top 33 that would need at larges if conference tournaments went according to the coaches rankings. #26 Phippen would be the only 1 ahead of Robbie and with 7 spots Robbie is in

Last edited:
Reactions: Kuch96

Not sure I totally agree with that last sentence.... The match against MH is concerning - it wasn't close and MH is decent, but far from elite imho.

Reactions: donboy6499
Cobb of Navy is out at 149 EIWAs.

If he is a COVID, Bartlett is now one of the last two in at 149 if you go by the coaches ranking. I know he is not #32 in the rankings but if you look at the conferences that are over/under allocated and who will need bids, Lovett, Bartlett, and Omania are the last three in at 149 if they went strictly by coaches rank and the conference finishes followed that ranking exactly.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Freshman Dylan Shawver (from Ohio) won the final wrestle-off against Agulair and will start for Rutgers at 125 for the B1G tournament! 👀

• Wow
Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Cobb of Navy is out at 149 EIWAs.

If he is a COVID, Bartlett is now one of the last two in at 149 if you go by the coaches ranking. I know he is not #32 in the rankings but if you look at the conferences that are over/under allocated and who will need bids, Lovett, Bartlett, and Omania are the last three in at 149 if they went strictly by coaches rank and the conference finishes followed that ranking exactly.
I don't look at it that way. Bartlett still has to earn his way in, either by finishing top-8 at Big Ten's or improving his resume for an at-large bid. Coaches Ranking won't do it alone.

Minimum standards include:
-- .700 overall winning percentage
-- .700 Division I winning percentage at the weight class
-- Top 33 Coaches Ranking (Taken after the qualifying tournament)
-- One win against a wrestler who qualified for the National Tournament via a preallocated spot
-- Qualifying event placement one below preallocated spots
-- Seeded in top 16 during 2020 selections
-- Finished in top 8 during 2019 Championships

Bartlett's best shot, IF IT COMES DOWN TO AT-LARGE, are the first, third, fourth and/or fifth criteria, of which he needs two. Three losses at the B1G tournament, if he ends up in bonus matches, will doom him.

Nick Lee gets a bye to the second round using the referenced seeds, though I believe the top-3, whom by the way are also the top-3 in the country, could be drawn from a hat, they are that close. For argument’s sake, I’m staying Lee #2. Second round opponent will be the #7/#10 winner, probably Drew Mattin (MICH). Lee won handily at the dual this year, 10-4, so onto the semis. Here’s where the #1 seed has an advantage at 141, not that Red is a pushover at the #4 seed (and #5 or #6 ranked guy nationally depending on the ranking service). Lee vs Sebastian Rivera (RUT) is just a closer-on-paper semifinal, imo, than Jaydin Eierman (IA) vs Chad Red (NEB). Eierman doubled up Red 8-4 earlier in the season. I’ll go with a Lee win in semis, and onto the finals to face Eierman – a match-up I like. Lee will be in St. Louis!

I don't look at it that way. Bartlett still has to earn his way in, either by finishing top-8 at Big Ten's or improving his resume for an at-large bid. Coaches Ranking won't do it alone.

Minimum standards include:
-- .700 overall winning percentage
-- .700 Division I winning percentage at the weight class
-- Top 33 Coaches Ranking (Taken after the qualifying tournament)
-- One win against a wrestler who qualified for the National Tournament via a preallocated spot
-- Qualifying event placement one below preallocated spots
-- Seeded in top 16 during 2020 selections
-- Finished in top 8 during 2019 Championships

Bartlett's best shot, IF IT COMES DOWN TO AT-LARGE, are the first, third, fourth and/or fifth criteria, of which he needs two. Three losses at the B1G tournament, if he ends up in bonus matches, will doom him.
Thanks roar, you always clear things up

Unlike the first three weight classes, seeding at 149 appears fuzzier for me, except for #1 Sasso. Bartlett at #10 feels about right, but the seeds up and down Fink's list are, imo, the least likely to match up against the Big Ten's version. That's not taking anything away from the work done by a fellow forum-mate, but more the result of a shortened season and less data.

I’ll make this easy, win any two matches in the championship or wrestleback brackets, and Bartlett is all but guaranteed at least 8th place. With only 7 (AQ plus pre-allocation) spots at 149, an 8th place finish wouldn’t do it automatically, however it does give him a near-lock for an at-large.

Along the way, he’ll have to win against the likes of Thomas (NU), Blockus (MINN), Rooks (IN), Van Brill (RUT), Lovett (NEB) or Omania (MSU), probably beating at least two of them. Beating a Maryland wrestler again won’t do it. I know he’s confident, but he still has to go out and win the bouts against a solid group of middle-of-the-pack wrestlers.

Here are two scenarios I consider most likely;
-- Win first match, probably against a #6/#7 seeded wrestler (it's #10 vs #7, and #11 vs #6). Drop to wrestlebacks after a quarterfinal loss. First bout in wrestlebacks should be against an opponent seeded near him (#9-#12). Win and that should be enough, though I hope he does more than enough and continues winning.
-- Lose first match, then get a bye in first round of wrestlebacks (10 seed dropping down gets a bye, 11 seed has a match). Win next bout against a #8/#9 seeded wrestler. That also should do it, though heck, just keep winning Beau!

I highly doubt Bartlett gets a 10 seed. Maybe 11, but I think 12 is more likely. You should have used regularfan's seeds IMO.

I think Bartlett has an easier path than Howard. Let's hope the first match against Heinselman was a big learning experience.

As a #3 seed, which I’m hoping on instead of the #4 seed, Berge gets a solid chance at bonus in the first round, facing a #14 seed. That could be Illinois junior Johnny Mologousis, who has given up bonus points in three of his last four bouts. #4 gets #1 Deakin (NU) in the semis with quarterfinal win vs #5... again, better for Berge to be the #3 seed.

Round two could be a rematch with #6 Will Lewan (MICH), in a bout that is infinitely tougher than Berge’s first. Remember the Michigan dual? It was Berge by a takedown against Lewan, as he scored the only offensive points in the bout with 30 seconds left in a thrilling 3-1 win. This win could be just as thrilling, then on to the third round – likely to be Berge vs Kaleb Young (IOWA). In the team race, these are the bouts Penn State needs to win, though an equally important matter, earning a spot in St. Louis, has been accomplished. Berge vs Young, if it happens, will be a heckuva bout. Low scoring, one-or-two point win either way is the most likely scenario imo. Win and it’s on to the finals, lose and it’s a drop to wrestleback semis. See ya in St. Louis, Brady!

Joe Lee has shown flashes of his potential, and Cael-trained wrestlers usually clean up many of their mistakes by season-end of their first year as a starter. This isn’t a normal year however, and while making boo-boos is part of the “don’t be afraid to make a mistake” mantra in the best wrestling room in the country, so is improvement, and a shorter season put a whammy on the possibilities if a whole season was wrestled. My guess is that this will still be the best we will see the middle Lee wrestle.

So, onto his path to the NCAA Championships. With eight qualifiers at 165, a chalk finish does it. At #7, he’ll get #10 in the first round, likely a Gerrit Nijenhuis (PUR)/Nicholas South (IN)/Jacob Tucker (MSU) level guy. If you hadn’t heard of Nijenhuis or South before, it’s because, like Lee, they are freshmen. Tucker is a 5th year senior. Lee should beat any of the three, but not by major, imo. Second round will be fun. Braunagel (ILL), if #2, is a strong kid that has already won vs Smith (tOSU) and Robb (NEB) this year. Lee must be very careful with his tie-ups, win the hand-fighting battle, and protect against Brauagel counters. Win, he’s in (for NCAA’s), but I’ll drop him to wrestlebacks. There, #7 gets either #8 or #9, so we’re back to talking about the trio of Nijenhuis/South/Tucker. It won’t be the same guy he faced in round one, but one of the other two, and I’ll predict the same result as earlier – a victory for Lee. He’s now earned a spot in St Louis, but I’ll wrap this up with one more bout. Third round of wrestlebacks would likely be against #6 Peyton Robb (NEB). Their resumes are not all that dissimilar, though it is harder to tell with limited action. This is a bout Lee can win. If the path I’ve chosen is accurate, including a win vs Robb, 6th is the worst Lee will do. We’ll see a second Lee in St. Louis!

I think Bartlett has an easier path than Howard. Let's hope the first match against Heinselman was a big learning experience.
Agree that Bartlett has an easier path than Howard. However, Heinselman is much improved and might be the 2nd best guy at 125 in the B1G. He beat Barnett (Wisconsin), Foley (MSU), and lost 1-0 to Schroder (Purdue).

What a year for young Carter Starocci. Who else in the country can boast two wins against top-2 opponents in 2021? Ok, it’s a shortened season, but this young man has continued the Mark Hall-like excitement we’re used to seeing at 174. Best wishes to him moving forward.

A #3 seed gets #14 in the first round. Could it be, could it be, let me see, YES!!, another Maryland wrestler, sadly. If so, Starocci has already won against the Terrapin by major decision at the dual. Repeat!

How much fun will the next bout be???????? Likely waiting is a dude named Washington, and distant memories of Starocci fighting back from WAYYYY behind in his first official collegiate bout, getting thrown to his back twice in the process. If Cael works his magic, it’ll be just another wrestling match for the young Lion, but I can’t help but think it’ll be front-and-center in the mind of Starocci. He’ll be one focused wrestler, that’s for sure. Dare I say, with confidence, the tables will be turned and it’ll be on to the semifinals for Starocci. Assuming my path is correct, who’s up next to face the Lion, Labriola or Kemerer? Fans don’t all agree, pundits don’t all agree, and we’ll still hear the moaning after pre-seeds are announced. Five days after pre-seeds, the wrestlers will settle it on the mat as it should be. Regardless, it’ll be a battle for Starocci, one he’ll embrace and be better for it. I’m not picking a winner, only to say that either opponent will be favored. Oh, and we’ll see Carter in St. Louis!!

The top-4 seeds at 174 are my favorite of the tourney, with 141 my second favorite. Kemerer has proven to be a tad above the others, imho, with only 9 career losses (4 to Penn Stater’s). The Big Ten tournament is brutal though and the winner here will have earned it. It won’t be a cakewalk.

2020 Big Ten Freshman of the Year Aaron Brooks is seeded #1 here, and it’s not close. Cael will not need to work any of his psyching tricks, simple as they are (relax and have fun out there, be grateful for the opportunity, etc.), as this young man LOVES wrestling, and LOVES competing. He’s cool, calm, and collected about it too, no hyperventilating or any such thing before a match for this sophomore.

A bye in the first round is followed by a bout with the #8/#9 winner. I know Fink has Nelson Brands (IA) at #8, but I’ll add Max Lyon (PUR) and Zach Braunagel (ILL) to the mix as possible opponents. Brooks has only faced Braunagel of the trio, a 9-4 win last season. This year’s version of the Lion is improved however, and I’ll predict a bonus point win. The #4/#5 winner is next, and I see a similar talent level, maybe half-a-notch better, to Brooks’ previous opponent. So whether it’s Layne Malczewski (MSU), Owen Webster (MINN) or someone else, Brooks could earn bonus here. The Lion beat Webster twice last season, both by major decision, and did not face Malczewski.

The finals will likely see Aaron face the #2/#3 winner, which could be Chris Weiler (WIS) or Taylor Venz (NEB), or possibly someone else given the seeding challenges of this season. I guess I’ll just rinse-and-repeat my comments of Brooks’ last two bouts – bonus is possible regardless of opponent. Weiler was a bonus-point victim (major decision) this season, and Venz, while he has a win against Brooks early in Brooks’ career, was pinned at last year’s Big Ten Championships. See ya in St. Louie, Aaron!

Michael Beard is right at #5, we’ll have to wait one more day to see if the Big Ten agrees. A longer season would have ended differently, but it is what it is.

Out of the gate, #5 gets #12, likely Garrett Jowles (MINN) or Jaron Smith (MD). Smith lost to the Lion by major decision this season, and Beard did not face Joles. If Beard leaves his foot on the gas, this should be a bonus-point win. Next up, it is #4 vs #5 likely, with the consensus being Cameron Caffey (MSU) at #4. Caffey’s only losses this season are to the top-2 seeds. I’ve seen the Spartan junior at Big Ten’s the last two seasons, and have caught other matches streamed or on BTN. My impression - easy to get to his legs, hard to finish. Maybe more a counter-guy against top competition, so Beard will have to commit to his shots and finish fast. I think he will. Win, and his semifinal opponent is the #1 seed. Eric Schultz (MSU) has beaten everyone he’s faced in 2021, and only had 4 losses last season. The 5th year senior will be a tough out for the Lion freshman. By now, Beard has earned his way to NCAA’s, so now is statement time. Look for a close bout. And see ya in St. Louis, Michael!

Possible opponents for Beard in the championship bracket and/or wrestleback bracket, starting in championship quarterfinals, are all the top guys. Along with the five other freshmen, Beard has the opportunity to see where they stack-up against Big Ten competition, as the regular season was only a small piece of the puzzle. I feel only Starocci has made his mark during the season so far. Here at 197 that means Schultz, Jacob Warner (IA), Caffey, and a few others, including Amine whom he’s already wrestled. I’m excited to see it play out.

Beard/Caffey should be fun. They had a couple of crazy matches at juniors a few of years ago (2018?) Iirc, Beard was 2 points away from a tech fall in both matches (one on the front end, one in the consis). He was getting to Caffey’s legs easily and finishing crisply but Caffey came back to win both matches. Caffey had two things working for him: freestyle chops (he scored a lot of his points on guts, trap-arm guts, & a body lock) and conditioning (Beard gassed hard both times)

Where do you seed a guy with two total official college matches under his belt, both pins albeit against weak competition, but with an earned reputation through his high school and freestyle careers as that of a top-tier wrestler? Tough call. I think the number I’ve seen most often for Greg Kerkvliet is 7 seed, but I’ll include a few bracket choices “in the neighborhood” to give a broader view. We will see soon enough if the layoff, and the reason for it affects his wrestling (endurance, etc.).

#7 gets #10, with Christian Rebottaro (MSU), Jared Florell (PUR), or Rudy Streck (IN) likely opponents. None have a winning record, and have a good many bonus-point losses, so it’s an easy first round win – with bonus.

Here’s where things get interesting. #7 gets #2, #8/#9 winner gets #1, and so on. #2 Mason Parris and #1 Gable Steveson (MINN) have separated themselves from the pack, which will be similar next season, except there will be three members to the pack, not two. This year, I believe both Parris and Steveson would be favored, so I’m going to drop Kerkvliet to wrestlebacks. I’d love to be wrong.

In round two of wrestlebacks, one of the same three guys noted above - Rebottaro, Florell or Streck - is the likely opponent, though it will not be the same wrestler faced in the first round of the championship bracket. Still, the prediction is the same, a bonus-point win. The competition improves in wrestlebacks, and one in the trio of Christian Lance (NEB), Trent Hillger (WIS), Tate Orndorff (tOSU) likely waits. The best of the three is Lance, though any of the three will be great benchmarks for where Kerkvliet’s stamina and development are. In fact, Lance could beat #4 Luke Luffman (ILL) in the championship bracket, adding him to the list of three as possible opponents in the third round of wrestlebacks. I’ll go with a win here and an earned spot at the NCAA Championships! See ya there Greg!

Next will likely be either Tony Cassioppi (IA), or the winner of Luffman/Lance. Win and he goes for 3rd to face a different one of those three, lose and it’s on to the 5th place match. Either way, these are the matches I am most looking forward to. Before wrapping up his tournament, Kerkvliet could see three of the top-4 at heavyweight. While it is important to earn one’s way to the pearl of the college wrestling world, which he should easily do (despite the low number of spots, 7, allocated to the B1G), performance at the Big Ten’s will go a long way in determining Kerkvliet’s seed at NCAA's. He could be seeded higher at NCAA’s than he will be at Big Ten’s with a solid placement next weekend.

Where do you seed a guy with two total official college matches under his belt, both pins albeit against weak competition, but with an earned reputation through his high school and freestyle careers as that of a top-tier wrestler? Tough call. I think the number I’ve seen most often for Greg Kerkvliet is 7 seed, but I’ll include a few bracket choices “in the neighborhood” to give a broader view. We will see soon enough if the layoff, and the reason for it affects his wrestling (endurance, etc.).

#7 gets #10, with Christian Rebottaro (MSU), Jared Florell (PUR), or Rudy Streck (IN) likely opponents. None have a winning record, and have a good many bonus-point losses, so it’s an easy first round win – with bonus.

Here’s where things get interesting. #7 gets #2, #8/#9 winner gets #1, and so on. #2 Mason Parris and #1 Gable Steveson (MINN) have separated themselves from the pack, which will be similar next season, except there will be three members to the pack, not two. This year, I believe both Parris and Steveson would be favored, so I’m going to drop Kerkvliet to wrestlebacks. I’d love to be wrong.

In round two of wrestlebacks, one of the same three guys noted above - Rebottaro, Florell or Streck - is the likely opponent, though it will not be the same wrestler faced in the first round of the championship bracket. Still, the prediction is the same, a bonus-point win. The competition improves in wrestlebacks, and one in the trio of Christian Lance (NEB), Trent Hillger (WIS), Tate Orndorff (tOSU) likely waits. The best of the three is Lance, though any of the three will be great benchmarks for where Kerkvliet’s stamina and development are. In fact, Lance could beat #4 Luke Luffman (ILL) in the championship bracket, adding him to the list of three as possible opponents in the third round of wrestlebacks. I’ll go with a win here and an earned spot at the NCAA Championships! See ya there Greg!

Next will likely be either Tony Cassioppi (IA), or the winner of Luffman/Lance. Win and he goes for 3rd to face a different one of those three, lose and it’s on to the 5th place match. Either way, these are the matches I am most looking forward to. Before wrapping up his tournament, Kerkvliet could see three of the top-4 at heavyweight. While it is important to earn one’s way to the pearl of the college wrestling world, which he should easily do (despite the low number of spots, 7, allocated to the B1G), performance at the Big Ten’s will go a long way in determining Kerkvliet’s seed at NCAA's. He could be seeded higher at NCAA’s than he will be at Big Ten’s with a solid placement next weekend.

I don't know man? Kerk is a BAD MAN!!! I know the Terps Hwt's were nobodies but they were still Div-1 Hwt wrestlers that you would expect to be able to defend themselves. They were helpless out there! Kerk threw them around like rag dolls! He has a VERY aggressive intimidating style. None of the chubby Hwts can handle his combo of strength and speed. I guarantee if he gets Cassiopi, he will be in deep on him within 30 seconds and have him on the mat and working him over hard to scare the shit out of him and get him completely off his game. It will be all over by the second period! Only Gable and Parris have the skillset to try and stop Kerk! Those matches will be legendary!!!!!

Where he might be transferring might
He's not in any hurry to make a decision. The season isn't over yet, and he plans to stay at Stanford if the sport can be saved.

Stanford Wrestling is fighting tooth and nail to keep the program alive -- and given how much money they've already raised this academic year, there's no reason to give up that fight.

Literally haven't seen anyone talking about this ... this is huge. Anthony Valencia at his best is absolutely terrifying.
Anthony Valencia is showing the best version of himself this year. To dismiss him as a legitimate challenger @165 is a bad take. He will be a tough out for anybody at 165. Seriously

Reactions: donboy6499
Nick Lee gets a bye to the second round using the referenced seeds, though I believe the top-3, whom by the way are also the top-3 in the country, could be drawn from a hat, they are that close. For argument’s sake, I’m staying Lee #2. Second round opponent will be the #7/#10 winner, probably Drew Mattin (MICH). Lee won handily at the dual this year, 10-4, so onto the semis. Here’s where the #1 seed has an advantage at 141, not that Red is a pushover at the #4 seed (and #5 or #6 ranked guy nationally depending on the ranking service). Lee vs Sebastian Rivera (RUT) is just a closer-on-paper semifinal, imo, than Jaydin Eierman (IA) vs Chad Red (NEB). Eierman doubled up Red 8-4 earlier in the season. I’ll go with a Lee win in semis, and onto the finals to face Eierman – a match-up I like. Lee will be in St. Louis!

Really looking forward to seeing this battle, assuming both Lee and Eierman make it to the finals! Also, curious to see what Rivera looks like since he hasn't wrestled for a month, and if I'm not mistaken looked a bit banged up against the kid from Purdue.

Reactions: diggerpup
He couldn’t get by Anthony Valencia so I don’t think the Bull is too worried.

I don't know about that. Though he's only wrestled two matches, Marinelli certainly hasn't been a scoring machine. And with Valencia taking Griffith 7-1, if I'm the bull or anyone else at 165, I'm taking Valencia a lot more serious than in the past. And since Valencia pinned the bull the only time they faced off, I'm really taking him serious. And frankly, if I'm the bull and I'm reflecting back on how poor my results were the last two NCAA tournaments, I'm taking everybody seriously. :)

He's not in any hurry to make a decision. The season isn't over yet, and he plans to stay at Stanford if the sport can be saved.

Stanford Wrestling is fighting tooth and nail to keep the program alive -- and given how much money they've already raised this academic year, there's no reason to give up that fight.

I hope it happens EJ. I've been livid mad that the Bull Dogs gave up (again). There really is no excuse that the snobs in Palo Alto can't save wrestling.

I hope it happens EJ. I've been livid mad that the Bull Dogs gave up (again). There really is no excuse that the snobs in Palo Alto can't save wrestling.
I'm not close to this situation, and only know what I read, which has its pitfalls. What I have gathered from reading as much as I can find, and looking for common (meaning it appears to be corroborated) news throughout is;
1) There's been a lot of money raised by alumni, etc. to save all 11 sports
2) It appears the trustees are not interested
3) On the wrestling front, alumni and parents of wrestlers are considering a class-action lawsuit as a last resort

I'm not close to this situation, and only know what I read, which has its pitfalls. What I have gathered from reading as much as I can find, and looking for common (meaning it appears to be corroborated) news throughout is;
1) There's been a lot of money raised by alumni, etc. to save all 11 sports
2) It appears the trustees are not interested
3) On the wrestling front, alumni and parents of wrestlers are considering a class-action lawsuit as a last resort
This is all correct. Adding onto it:

1. Save Stanford Wrestling has already raised enough money to endow the entire program except for the athletic scholarships. (Though the program has only 5.5 rides -- school cut that back too.)

2. Not just the trustees, school admin especially not interested. In one of the articles, it was noted that the Ohio State president participated in calls with the school -- she's a Stanford Olympic sports alum and former US Cabinet officer. No dice. The school has its heels dug in and won't listen to even people that powerful and influential.

3. The school has rebuffed other pleas from high-profile Stanford Athletics alums like Andrew Luck and Mike Mussina.

At this point, it's clear that the school does not want to keep any of the 11 sports regardless of money.

Also, insert here Adam Tirapelle tweet about Stanford not cutting any of its roughly 37,000 assistant ADs.

This is all correct. Adding onto it:

1. Save Stanford Wrestling has already raised enough money to endow the entire program except for the athletic scholarships. (Though the program has only 5.5 rides -- school cut that back too.)

2. Not just the trustees, school admin especially not interested. In one of the articles, it was noted that the Ohio State president participated in calls with the school -- she's a Stanford Olympic sports alum and former US Cabinet officer. No dice. The school has its heels dug in and won't listen to even people that powerful and influential.

3. The school has rebuffed other pleas from high-profile Stanford Athletics alums like Andrew Luck and Mike Mussina.

At this point, it's clear that the school does not want to keep any of the 11 sports regardless of money.

Also, insert here Adam Tirapelle tweet about Stanford not cutting any of its roughly 37,000 assistant ADs.

Here are Tirapelle's tweets:

ADVERTISEMENT