ADVERTISEMENT

The old ball coach is retiring.

O coordinator of the future? I know its no chance but could be fun

When your 70 they call it retiring , everybody else they say fired

So we've had three named coaches out this week: Edsall, Sarkisian and Spurrier? Wow

Steve Spurrier still thinks Joe Paterno ‘got a terrible deal’

By John Taylor Apr 21, 2015, 11:11 AM EDT

Suffice to say, three and a half years after he was fired amidst controversy and a little over three years after his death, Joe Paterno still has his supporters in the coaching community.

In an interview with The State coinciding with his 70th birthday, Steve Spurrier was asked a question about what he used to think about guys coaching in their seventies. During the course of his answer, the Ol’ Ball Coach swerved into Paterno territory.
Question: When you were 50 years old, what did you think about guys who were coaching in their 70s?
Answer: Well, there weren’t many. There weren’t many because just nobody did it. Nobody lasted that long, and most of the time they didn’t last that long because at some point they quit winning as much as they used to win. Bobby Bowden, of course, went a long time, and they finally had to tell him, ‘You’re finished.’ Joe Paterno was still there. That was very unfortunate what happened up there. I still think he got a bad deal, got a terrible deal.

Q: In terms of taking so much blame?

A: Correct. He did what the head coach is supposed to do. He told the athletic director, and (the AD) and the president let it die down I guess, and of course it flared up later. He was a good guy, a good friend. I liked him.

The fact that the South Carolina head coach offers up words of support for the Penn State coaching legend is far from surprising. Here’s Spurrier's Statement from Jan. 22, 2012, the day Paterno passed at the age of 85:

I have the utmost respect and admiration for Joe Paterno. I’ve coached around 300 college games and only once when I’ve met the other coach at midfield prior to the game have I asked a photographer to take a picture of me with the other coach. That happened in the Citrus Bowl after the ’97 season when we were playing Penn State. I had one of our university photographers take the picture with me and Coach Paterno, and I still have that photo in the den at my house. That’s the admiration I have for Joe Paterno. It was sad how it ended, but he was a great person and coach.

Last edited:
Taught the SEC to pass the football. Florida's Fun and Gun offense after he turned Duke around by throwing the football.

Reactions: fairgambit
Love Steve Spurrier. He does things old school. I will miss him.
Even when I hated Florida I liked him.
I guarantee he was pushed out

Reactions: fairgambit
Surprised he didn't at least finish the season, stepping dowm immediately seems weird for someone who has done it for so long.

He has said a lot of things about a lot of schools but maybe the best was about Auburn. When a fire in a library at Auburn destroyed 20 books here was the " Old Ball Coach's" response, " the really sad thing is that 15 of them hadn't been colored yet".

Reactions: john4psu
Down here the statement that got under everyone's skin was: "You cannot spell Citrus without UT"

Always liked OBC.

Reactions: john4psu
The old guard has lost another one. Not too many left. The new shinny coaches are not the same (no hit on CJF here). The old guard usually did it the right way and that will be missed.

I am not happy with this mid season thing. It seems he was pushed out. After all that he gave, it should have been done more gracefully. My best to the OBC.

He was always seen as arrogant, but he largely did things the right way. That was a challenge in some of the locales he coached. Real straight shooter.

Interesting .... Didn't realize Mark Dantonio played football at South Carolina. A good chunk of people on their board would like to see him as their next head coach. Granted I think he signed a big contract to stay at Sparty for life but wonder if he would have any interest to go back to his school.

ADVERTISEMENT