ADVERTISEMENT

The new Penn State Intercollegiate Athletics "culture" under Tsunami Barbour

The Collegian has painted one side of the story. I'm not sure Brandwene has done anything here that some former Paterno players would have said about JoePa during their playing years. Joe often played mind games with his players to test their mental toughness.

ICA leadership is not going to publicly comment negatively about an employee. We don't know what ICA's HR response was when these issues first arose in the WHKY program and we don't know what admonitions may have been imposed on Brandwene then or now. Maybe Barbour et al will mishandle this as Barry can be counted on to predict, and maybe they have or will handle it appropriately. It's just unrealistic to expect ICA to comment publicly about personnel issues, other than to announce hirings and firings.

By the way, there are some allegations of student-athlete abuse in another varsity program as well, including from a new assistant coach fired in January, but I have no idea whether such allegations have an ounce of truth to them.

It's important to remember that student-athletes and coaches, even highly accomplished coaches, have love-hate relationships that vacillate daily or weekly.
Thirteen student-athletes come to their "advocate" with a concern.
They come to her in confidentiality.
The "advocate" immediately brings their names to the attention of the person who is at the root of their concerns.

Yeah.....we'll have to "wait and see" if these folks paid to advocate for the student-athletes might have made some errors.

We are now laying out over $1,000,000 per year in additional expenses for folks to fulfill these "student-athlete advocacy and wellness" crapola bureaucratic "jobs".....and to construct "Mission Statements" about all their righteous goals.
This is what you get.

When some entity yaps non-stop about INTEGRITY, or TRANSPARENCY, or whatever other corporate buzzword they espouse - - - you can pretty well assume that they haven't got ANY of the characteristics that they yap about.

LMAO

No one can be that stupid.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, I read it a couple hours ago, it said that the complaint was forwarded to Dave Joyner. Why didn't he do anything about it considering he was all for firing capable coaches during his reign of terror!

Welcome to the New Era.

Didn't you complain about the last era too? Anyone want to bet you complain about the next era too?

The problem with you is you complain about EVERYONE. You lose cred when you complain and then the administration hires someone the exact opposite and you still complain.

Didn't you complain about the last era too? Anyone want to bet you complain about the next era too?

The problem with you is you complain about EVERYONE. You lose cred when you complain and then the administration hires someone the exact opposite and you still complain.

Barry, this may or may not turn out to be something. The Collegian presented the story--kudos to them for doing a bit of investigative reporting.

Where you lose me is all you do is bitch about athletics and PSU, yet you offer few, if any, solutions while continuing to take money off of the university.

Guess what? Tim Curley didn't eat unicorns and shit rainbows either.

Barry, this may or may not turn out to be something. The Collegian presented the story--kudos to them for doing a bit of investigative reporting.

Where you lose me is all you do is bitch about athletics and PSU, yet you offer few, if any, solutions while continuing to take money off of the university.

Next time you get something correct......I'll let you know.

So, keep firing away ;)

Like I said Barbour IS your problem !
So.....you ask a question.....you get an answer....and then stick to your incorrect assumption.

GENIUS!!!!!!

th

I have no idea- maybe there is an ongoing investigation. Maybe they don't/ can't comment on personnel issues. Maybe they have already decided something but aren't ready to announce it because the legal beagles are working the language over.

It's been more than a year and it can't be that time consuming. Can't imagine that Thomforde's Spawn couldn't dispose of this in a matter of weeks.

Restrictions on publicly commenting on personnel matters do not prevent them from responding in some way to the complainants. Regardless of the substance, this has not been well-managed,.

Brandwene's coaching methods could perhaps be rethought and improved.

I recall reading years ago about how (I believe it was UNC's women's lacrosse coach) that got his female players to feel more like a family and bond and care about one another and it resulted in great success in playing for one another and not wanting to let each other down.

One can't necessarily coach men and women the same way. Talent aside it might not hurt Brandwene to chat with Geno Auriemma or our own Russ Rose to learn how to get the most out of his players.

As a side note, does Urban Meyer still make players wear pink jerseys?

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/features/article_6440c3fe-ef35-11e5-a8c6-2b9904aa8e15.html
One former player's perspective...

Katie Vaughan
"I started in net his first year as a coach at Penn State, before the team officially transitioned to Division I. I was one of his favorites on the team, so I didn't experience the amount of abuse the rest of the girls did. He's the type of coach that completely rips away your confidence to make you more easily manipulated. He pinned our entire team against each other and took the joy out of hockey for many of us. The women who spoke out against him were not being sour grapes, though I see how it could be misconstrued that way from an outside perspective. But I'm here to tell you that everything they said was true and this man does not deserve to be a coach at any level of hockey."

Empty-suit, overpaid, "underabilitied" bureaucrats spewing meaningless buzzwords......while their actions are 180 degrees from their words.

"....Athletic Director Sandy Barbour, as well as other officials mentioned in this article, were copied on a follow-up email requesting comment.
Penn State Athletics responded with a statement pledging their support of student-athletes.
“We are driven first and foremost by an interest in the welfare of our student-athletes, and always consider thoroughly each and every issue brought to our attention,” the statement read. “Every day, the [Intercollegiate Athletics] staff is dedicated to providing the resources necessary to create conditions for success to balance the rigors of high expectations in the classroom and in competition.....”

How DO they say these things with a straight face? Well....actually, I suppose they can't - they have to rely on a "written release"

Welcome to the New Era.

"....Murphy asked Erickson if she and teammates could discuss their concerns with him in person.
Vice President for Administration Thomas Poole responded to the email Murphy sent to Erickson. Poole said he would forward the message to David Joyner, the then-athletic director, due to Erickson’s limited schedule in the months before his departure from Penn State, according to a copy of the email.
Murphy said she never heard back from anyone at Penn State....."

"....Green was copied on the summary of allegations the Collegian emailed to Penn State Athletics. She did not respond....."

Penn State Student Athlete Handbook - Page 21: "The University and the Athletics Department shall maintain confidentiality and anonymity with respect to any such report, unless required by law to do otherwise.”

Penn State Administrators Actions: “....I left that meeting thinking she had our best interest at heart,” Murphy said, “and that ended up not being the case, considering she released all 13 of our names to coach Brandwene when we asked to remain anonymous several times.....”
In the list of allegations sent to Penn State Athletics, the Collegian included this claim regarding confidentiality. Penn State Athletics did not directly address this allegation in its responding statement.

Parasitic, lying pieces of crap:

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/features/article_6440c3fe-ef35-11e5-a8c6-2b9904aa8e15.html

Empty-suit, overpaid, "underabilitied" bureaucrats spewing meaningless buzzwords......while their actions are 180 degrees from their words.

"....Athletic Director Sandy Barbour, as well as other officials mentioned in this article, were copied on a follow-up email requesting comment.
Penn State Athletics responded with a statement pledging their support of student-athletes.
“We are driven first and foremost by an interest in the welfare of our student-athletes, and always consider thoroughly each and every issue brought to our attention,” the statement read. “Every day, the [Intercollegiate Athletics] staff is dedicated to providing the resources necessary to create conditions for success to balance the rigors of high expectations in the classroom and in competition.....”

How DO they say these things with a straight face? Well....actually, I suppose they can't - they have to rely on a "written release"

Welcome to the New Era.

"....Murphy asked Erickson if she and teammates could discuss their concerns with him in person.
Vice President for Administration Thomas Poole responded to the email Murphy sent to Erickson. Poole said he would forward the message to David Joyner, the then-athletic director, due to Erickson’s limited schedule in the months before his departure from Penn State, according to a copy of the email.

"....Green was copied on the summary of allegations the Collegian emailed to Penn State Athletics. She did not respond....."

Penn State Student Athlete Handbook - Page 21: "The University and the Athletics Department shall maintain confidentiality and anonymity with respect to any such report, unless required by law to do otherwise.”

Penn State Administrators Actions: “....I left that meeting thinking she had our best interest at heart,” Murphy said, “and that ended up not being the case, considering she released all 13 of our names to coach Brandwene when we asked to remain anonymous several times.....”
In the list of allegations sent to Penn State Athletics, the Collegian included this claim regarding confidentiality. Penn State Athletics did not directly address this allegation in its responding statement.

Eating a unicorn would hurt.

This is such a non-story, a coach yelled at his players in practice. A few girls just weren't cutting it and was told about it and now they want to hold everyone accountable cause they are embarrassed cause they stunk.

This is such a non-story, a coach yelled at his players in practice. A few girls just weren't cutting it and was told about it and now they want to hold everyone accountable cause they are embarrassed cause they stunk.
Are you REALLY that oblivious to the real issue here?

Seriously?

What is the issue here? A college athlete was told by her coach to lose weight..

Wait, it's Sandy fault.
Please tell me you're kidding. Just trying to pull one's chain? Right? Please?

I swear, it's the same mentality that you see when folks think the biggest issue with Health Care in this country is that their Physician drives an expensive car

Please tell me you're kidding. Just trying to pull one's chain? Right? Please?

I swear, it's the same mentality that you see when folks think the biggest issue with Health Care in this country is that their Physician drives an expensive car

Almost as bad as blaming it on someone who wasn't even here when it happened, no?

Reactions: Nitt1300
"He knocked over my stick". Really?

I'm obviously missing something, especially when it comes to certain highly-physical sports involving females coached by males.

One former player's perspective...

Katie Vaughan
"I started in net his first year as a coach at Penn State, before the team officially transitioned to Division I. I was one of his favorites on the team, so I didn't experience the amount of abuse the rest of the girls did. He's the type of coach that completely rips away your confidence to make you more easily manipulated. He pinned our entire team against each other and took the joy out of hockey for many of us. The women who spoke out against him were not being sour grapes, though I see how it could be misconstrued that way from an outside perspective. But I'm here to tell you that everything they said was true and this man does not deserve to be a coach at any level of hockey."

Welcome to the New Era.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT