ADVERTISEMENT

THE NAME GAME ... COACH DESIGNATIONS

ACGT

May 29, 2001
Allentown, PA
On the 11th, the Allentown Morning Call ran an article updating coaching changes at PSU. I noted the following:

Brent Pry- was co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach to defensive coordinator and associate head coach and will remain linebackers coach (if I have all those titles straight)

Terry Smith - cornerbacks coach and defensive recruiting coordinator received additional title of assistant head coach

Sean Spencer- Defensive line coach added title of defensive running game coordinator

Things were simpler when we had a head coach and offensive and defensive coordinators. I can see Pry going from co- to defensive coordinator, but what is the difference between Pry being an associate head coach and Smith being assistant head coach? Is this a SOP in lieu of a raise? Do other schools have a slew of titles?

This came to mind because I worked in a CPA office until this past tax season and the receptionist was promoted to Office Manager. One day she visited my office to ask if I needed any supplies. I resisted telling her I was out of crayons. I liked the young lady well enough, she had a strong work ethic but nominal office experience beyond filing papers and answering the phone. Over a Happy Hour Glenlivet on the rocks, I asked the owner if the new manager:

1. Does she review payroll?
2. Does she prepare budgets?
3. Does she participate in negotiating rent?

She answered in the negative to each question and I responded with "Well, what does she manage besides a good crap every morning?" She did not laugh but her husband roared.

what's your point? these titles have been around for years. the most meaningless is 'assistant HC', that guy is usually in charge of summer camps, so what?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT