The N-word takes on mystical significance in the Wokeist Cult

Jerry

May 29, 2001
The escalation of the attack on Rogan brought this to mind. I don't know the context in which he spoke the word but am under the impression it was not as any kind of slur but rather as commentary on other people's use of it.

Growing up a long time ago in a white working-class town in a distinctly unprogressive corner of Pennsylvania, I heard it a lot...and not just that word but a lot of other words aimed derogatorily at ethnic groups...to include white ethnic groups by the way.

The first time I used it at home as a kid, however, my parents came down on me like a ton of bricks. That was the last time I ever used it...anywhere.

But what's interesting is that we've now arrived at a point where the word has acquired a kind of religious significance for Wokeists. Much like the word for God was unmentionable in the ancient Hebrew religion. Or for that matter, the casual or derogatory use of the name of the Son of God is forbidden among devout believers in Christianity.

Anyway, it's yet another indication of Wokeism's status as the new state religion having its own deities, sacraments, high priests, forbidden words...the whole enchilada.

Don't get me wrong: the word is an unacceptable slur...except, we are told, when used by black people. In fact, one of my sons, who captained his high school basketball team in a suburban Baltimore league, heard black guys use it a lot, both on and off the court. But the point is, the mystical status the word has now acquired is weird and more than a little warped.

LionDeNittany

May 29, 2001
DFW, TX
The only word in the English language that is a heinous as can get when said by one skin color, but is a term of endearment when said by another

That is the truly insane part of all of this.

If it's in a song and I am singing along, i have to stop. But, my west indian friend can keep going?

Used as a slur, certainly it's bad. Worse than many other slurs that are routinely used I suppose. I've learned that slurs about my ethnicity seem acceptable for whatever reason.

But we have reached a point where if one repeats it, even out of the context of using it as a slur, they are still woked out of jobs.

That's crazy.

In a private setting if I tell someone next to me that someone else, let's say a terrible terrible person, said the n-word we are at the point where I must say exactly that.

This is a bizarre world.

LdN

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
That is the truly insane part of all of this.

If it's in a song and I am singing along, i have to stop. But, my west indian friend can keep going?

Used as a slur, certainly it's bad. Worse than many other slurs that are routinely used I suppose. I've learned that slurs about my ethnicity seem acceptable for whatever reason.

But we have reached a point where if one repeats it, even out of the context of using it as a slur, they are still woked out of jobs.

That's crazy.

In a private setting if I tell someone next to me that someone else, let's say a terrible terrible person, said the n-word we are at the point where I must say exactly that.

This is a bizarre world.

LdN
It's all about power and control , Rogan should have told them to F word themselves. Show some spine.

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
Pn0
I am not a fan of Rogan. His fake tough guy persona is just not for me.

But I support him in this situation. And, like you say his giving in should be considered a let down to everyone.

LdN
I'm neutral with him, I watched him a few times when he had in various guests I was interested in. I do like his style overall , just asking questions and talking to people.
He'll cover more ground in 3 hours than standard media sources and you can make up you mind on the topic .
I've seen him more on the show meat eaters than his own show actually .

Reactions: psualt

interrobang

Aug 21, 2016
Rogan is just the poster child of the left's covid hypocrisy. Left can lie all they want and it's OK, but one guy says "let's try something different" and it's quickly dangerous misinformation.

Jerry

May 29, 2001
I am not a fan of Rogan. His fake tough guy persona is just not for me.

But I support him in this situation. And, like you say his giving in should be considered a let down to everyone.

LdN

I neither like nor dislike him much. In fact, until not that long ago, I didn't even know he was a thing.

I've never watched his show except for a few excerpts that provoked controversy...like when he said he would vote for Bernie because Senile Joe was clearly unfit to be President.

But reading about him, it seems clear that he's an independent thinker. He rejects political correctness. He's willing (or was willing) to state unfashionable opinions. And he has a huge following.

That's a dangerous combination for the Regime, which is why he suddenly finds himself with a bullseye on his back. It's also why I've become a supporter of his if not a fan, and why I cringed to see him respond to these recent attacks by bowing and scraping.

We'll just have to see where it all goes from here.

LafayetteBear

Dec 1, 2009
I hear the N-word all of the time, but only from.black people. It isn’t that offensive, apparently. Why all of the fuss?
Glad to see that you weighed in on this thread and restored my faith in humanity. Now, back to burning plastic in the front yard ... :cool:

republion

Mar 24, 2009
I like to play the XMN word game. What’s the XMN word game you ask? You play it by listening to XM channels 42-47. You can switch back and forth amongst those stations as often as you want. You start by turning your radio channel to XM station 42. As soon as you get there, take a deep breath and hold it until you hear the N word. It can be used in song or used in conversation with the DJ/hosts. Again, you can switch back and forth amongst channels 42-47 as often as you like. As soon as you hear the N word, you can start breathing again. In all my time playing the XMN Word game, I’ve never fainted. Truth be told, my face rarely turns blue from lack of oxygen. And, I’ve never lost. Not once. Hearing the N word on those stations is as predictable as the sun rising in the east.

Reactions: Jerry

Treelion66

Nov 14, 2018
There’s not a worse look than a bunch of old white guys lamenting the fact that they can’t say the N word, but black people can. It’s about owning the word. Why is that so hard to understand? A group of people that have been enslaved, raped, murdered, discriminated against, lynched, disenfranchised, and on and on… for 400 years in this country… and you don’t want to give them a word?!?? Or course you’re the same guys that had an election not go your way and you’re ready to dismantle our Republic.

Reactions: tgar

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001
The escalation of the attack on Rogan brought this to mind. I don't know the context in which he spoke the word but am under the impression it was not as any kind of slur but rather as commentary on other people's use of it.

Growing up a long time ago in a white working-class town in a distinctly unprogressive corner of Pennsylvania, I heard it a lot...and not just that word but a lot of other words aimed derogatorily at ethnic groups...to include white ethnic groups by the way.

The first time I used it at home as a kid, however, my parents came down on me like a ton of bricks. That was the last time I ever used it...anywhere.

But what's interesting is that we've now arrived at a point where the word has acquired a kind of religious significance for Wokeists. Much like the word for God was unmentionable in the ancient Hebrew religion. Or for that matter, the casual or derogatory use of the name of the Son of God is forbidden among devout believers in Christianity.

Anyway, it's yet another indication of Wokeism's status as the new state religion having its own deities, sacraments, high priests, forbidden words...the whole enchilada.

Don't get me wrong: the word is an unacceptable slur...except, we are told, when used by black people. In fact, one of my sons, who captained his high school basketball team in a suburban Baltimore league, heard black guys use it a lot, both on and off the court. But the point is, the mystical status the word has now acquired is weird and more than a little warped.
What I don't get is some of the mysonginist and racist songs that are played on Spotify and other streaming systems with impunity. Megan the Stallion, Cardi B, and the rest. Lots of "cap a cop" and "rip the hoe" kind of music.

republion

Mar 24, 2009
There’s not a worse look than a bunch of old white guys lamenting the fact that they can’t say the N word, but black people can. It’s about owning the word. Why is that so hard to understand? A group of people that have been enslaved, raped, murdered, discriminated against, lynched, disenfranchised, and on and on… for 400 years in this country… and you don’t want to give them a word?!?? Or course you’re the same guys that had an election not go your way and you’re ready to dismantle our Republic.
It has nothing to do with that. It has everything to do with asking a simple question, and that is “how does owning/using the N word help black people improve their lot in life”?

Treelion66

Nov 14, 2018
It has nothing to do with that. It has everything to do with asking a simple question, and that is “how does owning/using the N word help black people improve their lot in life”?
So you get to decide? Another entitled, whitesplaining asshole…. It’s a start, but y’all don’t even want to give them that!

Jerry

May 29, 2001

Complete distortion of my point in the OP. The only thing you got right is that I am indeed an old white guy. ;)

But I have no desire to say the N-word and haven't used it anywhere under any circumstance, publicly or privately, since, oh, the age of 10 when I blurted it out at home and was taken to task by my parents who were well ahead of their time and place on the matter of racial issues.

In fact, I also don't really resent black guys using it in the manner they do on the basketball court or elsewhere...though as others here have noted, rap lyrics littered with the word tend to be degrading and objectionable.

What my OP was pointing to is the weirdness of the quasi-mystical status that the word has acquired in the Wokeist Cult...where it is treated in reverent tones. Like we're all supposed to bow our heads and pretend to be utterly shocked when Wokeists dredge up the fact that some media yokel used it 10 years earlier not as a slur but in a commentary on contemporary culture. Please.

But coming back to basketball, I mentioned my son in the OP. He played in a largely black public school league and was pretty darn good. One day he was getting a ride home from practice with some black players in a car driven by a player's dad. They got to joking about 2-on-2 match-ups, and the Dad said to my son, tell you what, Joe, how about me and you against any two (N-words) in this car?

My son sort of laughed...but definitely knew better than to use the word himself. Still, he told me the story later, and it was pretty instructive. I'll tell you one thing: in that culture of urban basketball, if you got game, you get respect...regardless of your race. But if you're white, you can expect to be tested and have to prove you belong.

Reactions: Treelion66

Treelion66

Nov 14, 2018
Complete distortion of my point in the OP. The only thing you got right is that I am indeed an old white guy. ;)

But I have no desire to say the N-word and haven't used it anywhere under any circumstance, publicly or privately, since, oh, the age of 10 when I blurted it out at home and was taken to task by my parents who were well ahead of their time and place on the matter of racial issues.

In fact, I also don't really resent black guys using it in the manner they do on the basketball court or elsewhere...though as others here have noted, rap lyrics littered with the word tend to be degrading and objectionable.

What my OP was pointing to is the weirdness of the quasi-mystical status that the word has acquired in the Wokeist Cult...where it is treated in reverent tones. Like we're all supposed to bow our heads and pretend to be utterly shocked when Wokeists dredge up the fact that some media yokel used it 10 years earlier not as a slur but in a commentary on contemporary culture. Please.

But coming back to basketball, I mentioned my son in the OP. He played in a largely black public school league and was pretty darn good. One day he was getting a ride home from practice with some black players in a car driven by a player's dad. They got to joking about 2-on-2 match-ups, and the Dad said to my son, tell you what, Joe, how about me and you against any two (N-words) in this car?

My son sort of laughed...but definitely knew better than to use the word himself. Still, he told me the story later, and it was pretty instructive. I'll tell you one thing: in that culture of urban basketball, if you got game, you get respect...regardless of your race. But if you're white, you can expect to be tested and have to prove you belong.
My comment was directed more towards some of the replies to your OP.

LioninHouston

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2005
Only leftists seem to want people to use the N-word. I watch them celebrate the use of it all of the time. They get excited when a white person says it because they want to use it to cancel them. Of course, leftists aren’t bothered when one of their own is caught wearing blackface. In fact, the N-word is the most often used “banned” term I can think of.

The N-word is celebrated in rap music all of the time, movies too, yet it is also used as a trap. White people can’t even sing along to it. If the N-word was as offensive as some want you to think, it wouldn’t be used so much by those who claim it is. I don’t hear Jews rapping and using the word kike about 30 times per song. Were they not oppresssed? Maybe they just haven’t found a way to exploit the “K-word” to make money.

Reactions: Hotshoe and Jerry

Treelion66

Nov 14, 2018
Only leftists seem to want people to use the N-word. I watch them celebrate the use of it all of the time. They get excited when a white person says it because they want to use it to cancel them. Of course, leftists aren’t bothered when one of their own is caught wearing blackface. In fact, the N-word is the most often used “banned” term I can think of.

The N-word is celebrated in rap music all of the time, movies too,yet it is also used as a trap. White people can’t even sing along to it. If the N-word was as offensive as some want you to think, it wouldn’t be used so much by those who claim it is. I don’t hear Jews rapping and using the word kike about 30 times per song. Were they not oppresssed?
Another old lamenting white guy heard from….

Treelion66

Nov 14, 2018

The N-word is celebrated in rap music all of the time, movies too, yet it is also used as a trap. White people can’t even sing along to it. If the N-word was as offensive as some want you to think, it wouldn’t be used so much by those who claim it is. I don’t hear Jews rapping and using the word kike about 30 times per song. Were they not oppresssed? Maybe they just haven’t found a way to exploit the “K-word” to make money.
Also, Jews rap about fighting for your right to party.

Reactions: LioninHouston

Jerry

May 29, 2001

Beyond the point made in the OP, I think the N-word should be considered in the same light as any other ethnic slur...no more special...no more acceptable.

The fanatical Wokeist focus on the topic...the Cancel Mob dredging through people's past...is frankly sick. But then Wokeists and their Dem-Media sympathizers tend to be a pretty sick bunch.

As for black people using the word with one another in an almost affectionate way, I honestly don't have a big problem with that...no more than if any other race or ethnic group did the same with words that would be considered slurs if used by outsiders.

This is a little to the side but related in a way: back in the day, Marines sort of had their own version of this...especially Marines who served in Vietnam. If you were on the inside...one of the tribe...it was OK to refer to the Corps as The Suck in recognition of the fact you typically got the short end of the stick, the most difficult missions, and so forth.

But you also took a certain pride in that...in knowing you were screwed and being fatalistic about it. It sort of went along with the territory...with the title Marine. However, outsiders were not allowed the same latitude. Only Marines could ridicule the Corps. To be clear, I did not serve in Vietnam, but even in the peacetime Corps back in that time, there was a variant of this kind of Marines-only tribal cynicism.

JR4PSU

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2002
SE PA
Beyond the point made in the OP, I think the N-word should be considered in the same light as any other ethnic slur...no more special...no more acceptable.

The fanatical Wokeist focus on the topic...the Cancel Mob dredging through people's past...is frankly sick. But then Wokeists and their Dem-Media sympathizers tend to be a pretty sick bunch.

As for black people using the word with one another in an almost affectionate way, I honestly don't have a big problem with that...no more than if any other race or ethnic group did the same with words that would be considered slurs if used by outsiders.

This is a little to the side but related in a way: back in the day, Marines sort of had their own version of this...especially Marines who served in Vietnam. If you were on the inside...one of the tribe...it was OK to refer to the Corps as The Suck in recognition of the fact you typically got the short end of the stick, the most difficult missions, and so forth. But that wasn't a slur against Marines, themselves. That was a slur against the organization and leadership.

But you also took a certain pride in that...in knowing you were screwed and being fatalistic about it. It sort of went along with the territory...with the title Marine. However, outsiders were not allowed the same latitude. Only Marines could ridicule the Corps. To be clear, I did not serve in Vietnam, but even in the peacetime Corps back in that time, there was a variant of this kind of Marines-only tribal cynicism.

Reactions: bourbon n blues

Richmond_Nittany

Mar 18, 2003
Here is how ridiculous it is. I lead a team on mission trips to the Republic of Niger. We have a Facebook group. Facebook will not allow me to name the group Niger Missions. Only response I can get is an automated one telling me Niger is too close to an offensive word. Had to misspell it to Nijer!

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
It has nothing to do with that. It has everything to do with asking a simple question, and that is “how does owning/using the N word help black people improve their lot in life

It doesn't.
Here is how ridiculous it is. I lead a team on mission trips to the Republic of Niger. We have a Facebook group. Facebook will not allow me to name the group Niger Missions. Only response I can get is an automated one telling me Niger is too close to an offensive word. Had to misspell it to Nijer!
It's that rididculous.

Treelion66

Nov 14, 2018
I'll weigh in. If the word is that offensive why is it so commonly used among the offended? It can't be that awful then.
It’s about ownership of a word that’s been used for centuries to belittle and demean. I’m not sure why that is so difficult to understand. Think of it like a club. You’re not in the club, so you don’t get to say it. Black people in this country have been excluded from using public restrooms and water fountains… from using front entrances of restaurants and hotels. You’re excluded from using one word and y’all throw a hissyfit. White Privilege much?

Jerry

May 29, 2001
>>But that wasn't a slur against Marines, themselves. That was a slur against the organization and leadership.<<

Right, the comparison is not exact, but the point pertains to membership in a group and the pride taken in that and the acceptance of a certain kind of attitude coming from inside the group...but not from outside.

It's sort of like a family where members have the right to get personal but not outsiders.

Reactions: Treelion66

Treelion66

Nov 14, 2018
>>But that wasn't a slur against Marines, themselves. That was a slur against the organization and leadership.<<

Right, the comparison is not exact, but the point pertains to membership in a group and the pride taken in that and the acceptance of a certain kind of attitude coming from inside the group...but not from outside.

It's sort of like a family where members have the right to get personal but not outsiders.
Yes- you can say all kinds of shit about your brothers, but no one else can.

Hotshoe

Gold Member
Feb 15, 2012
So you get to decide? Another entitled, whitesplaining asshole…. It’s a start, but y’all don’t even want to give them that!
Your comprehension sucks. He never said what you claimed. He simply asked a question and it's a legitimate question. Culturally, it's an issue, particularly in music. All colors listen to rap music which is full of the N word. So other colors shouldn't sing the word?