ADVERTISEMENT

The morning after...this looks like the best team in the conference

Jerry

May 29, 2001
Still haven't caught my breath. What a game. What a team. What a difference a year makes.

Can't say it better than others here have but the defining characteristic of great teams is making plays at critical times. We did that against Wisconsin and last night against Auburn.

I think Sean played his best game ever at QB and most importantly just looks comfortable and confident in Yurcich's offense. Meanwhile, Yurcich is everything we hoped he would be. Loved the play-calling against Auburn. That trap call on 3rd and goal at the 4 when Noah made the cut and waltzed in for a critical score was really good stuff. The frickin' wildcat with the TE. Blew Auburn's mind. Taking snaps behind center, baby!! Plus the much maligned offensive line gave Sean all day to throw. And there's no better receiver in the college game than Jahan Dotson.

Great game on the other side of the ball too. The main thing is that whereas we've seen Penn State defenses wilt at crunch time on various occasions in recent years, this one steps up and makes plays. Loved how in the critical closing minutes Pry did not go to some kind of lame 3-man rush thing that never works. We've got some all-conference players, if not All-Americans, at every level of the D.

Also, SEC refs suck as much as those in the B1G, which is quite a level of bias and incompetence to match. Seriously, those guys were a prime-time embarrassment to the SEC. Can we ever, just once, be the ones to benefit from these outrageous zebra clown shows? Apparently not.

By the way, Herbie is a snake. I hope everyone realizes that.

I know it's early, and I'm not taking even Villanova for granted, but can anyone dispute that three weeks in, we've been the most impressive team in the conference. I mean, our division is a meat-grinder, but I think we have an honest-to-God chance to win it...if we can just get some honest, competent officiating in Iowa City and Columbus.

so far, yes. but the schedule is brutal after next week. (Not that playing Wisconsin and Auburn in the first three games is easy.) I think we'll probably beat Indiana without too much of a problem, but after that who knows.

Reactions: bdgan and Jerry
Penn State still has some room for improvement. Our run game hasn’t been very effective. Hopefully getting Lovett into the mix will provide the home run threat we need. Nothing against Cain and Lee, as they typically get us positive yardage, but we need the big play threat.

Also, our run defense needs to tighten up. Of course, I’m not sure how many other teams will have as strong of a running game as Auburn, but there are a few teams that have been relying on it quite a lot that we face later on.

Speaking of, is there a better division in college football than the Big Ten East? At the start of the year, I was only worried about three ganes: Wisconsin, Iowa and Ohio State. Auburn gave us all we could handle, and Michigan and Michigan State are both running on all cylinders. Heck, Indiana has two losses, but both are against top ten teams. We have to have one of the toughest SOS in the country.

The East in the Big 10 is very difficult this year. We are all saying that tOSU is down a little, but it is early and they did have a true freshman run for 275 yards yesterday...... by the time that we play tOSU they will be good as we seem to get their best game every year.

UofM is quietly playing very good ball. They can run the football, their QB does not make many mistakes and they finally got smart and got rid of Don Brown whose defense was routinely burned 4 times a game on an overly aggressive blitz.

MSU went into Miami and beat them pretty good. They have a good RB, solid QB and will be tough.

Rutgers and Maryland will make some noise and will knock off some teams this year. Our out of conference we get at Wisconsin and At IOWA....

We need to run the ball better and we need to stop the run better. Lee and Lovett can help us running....I think that Cain will improve through the season as his knee gets stronger and he gets over the injury from last year.

Our LBs are solid but need to improve and the DTs need to improve. Our core group of Safeties, CBs and Nickle and Dime backs are the best that I have seen at PSU in 30 years...... it is hard to throw against PSU due to our back half....if we can now get more pressure with 4 rushers......we can play with just about anyone.....

Penn State still has some room for improvement. Our run game hasn’t been very effective. Hopefully getting Lovett into the mix will provide the home run threat we need. Nothing against Cain and Lee, as they typically get us positive yardage, but we need the big play threat.

Also, our run defense needs to tighten up. Of course, I’m not sure how many other teams will have as strong of a running game as Auburn, but there are a few teams that have been relying on it quite a lot that we face later on.

Speaking of, is there a better division in college football than the Big Ten East? At the start of the year, I was only worried about three ganes: Wisconsin, Iowa and Ohio State. Auburn gave us all we could handle, and Michigan and Michigan State are both running on all cylinders. Heck, Indiana has two losses, but both are against top ten teams. We have to have one of the toughest SOS in the country.
The East is definitely the best division in college football. With Rutgers playing well and Maryland beating WVU, there’s no doubt and it’s not even close. Whoever wins that division and if they follow up winning the conference, they deserve to be in the playoffs even if they have two losses.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and Jerry
Cain does not impress me.... He gets 3 -4 yards and yes...if you do that 3 times.. it moves the chains. He is not a long threat. Good player but absolutely nothing to fear from a defensive point..... he is just blah...

I know I will get killed for this but he is nothing to get excited about... I never think... oh... Cain in open space... look out. Its Cain for 3...

Cain does not impress me.... He gets 3 -4 yards and yes...if you do that 3 times.. it moves the chains. He is not a long threat. Good player but absolutely nothing to fear from a defensive point..... he is just blah...

I know I will get killed for this but he is nothing to get excited about... I never think... oh... Cain in open space... look out. Its Cain for 3...
That’s why I think Lovett will be RB1 soon or at least should be.

Reactions: Cpeplion
Still haven't caught my breath. What a game. What a team. What a difference a year makes.

Can't say it better than others here have but the defining characteristic of great teams is making plays at critical times. We did that against Wisconsin and last night against Auburn.

I think Sean played his best game ever at QB and most importantly just looks comfortable and confident in Yurcich's offense. Meanwhile, Yurcich is everything we hoped he would be. Loved the play-calling against Auburn. That trap call on 3rd and goal at the 4 when Noah made the cut and waltzed in for a critical score was really good stuff. The frickin' wildcat with the TE. Blew Auburn's mind. Taking snaps behind center, baby!! Plus the much maligned offensive line gave Sean all day to throw. And there's no better receiver in the college game than Jahan Dotson.

Great game on the other side of the ball too. The main thing is that whereas we've seen Penn State defenses wilt at crunch time on various occasions in recent years, this one steps up and makes plays. Loved how in the critical closing minutes Pry did not go to some kind of lame 3-man rush thing that never works. We've got some all-conference players, if not All-Americans, at every level of the D.

Also, SEC refs suck as much as those in the B1G, which is quite a level of bias and incompetence to match. Seriously, those guys were a prime-time embarrassment to the SEC. Can we ever, just once, be the ones to benefit from these outrageous zebra clown shows? Apparently not.

I know it's early, and I'm not taking even Villanova for granted, but can anyone dispute that three weeks in, we've been the most impressive team in the conference. I mean, our division is a meat-grinder, but I think we have an honest-to-God chance to win it...if we can just get some honest, competent officiating in Iowa City and
Pat Freiermuth still scored a TD at Iowa City two years ago

Reactions: PSUQBKeeper

Lovett and Cain would be a great one two punch if the Oline can make some holes for them to run in.

I know it's early, and I'm not taking even Villanova for granted, but can anyone dispute that three weeks in, we've been the most impressive team in the conference. I mean, our division is a meat-grinder, but I think we have an honest-to-God chance to win it...if we can just get some honest, competent officiating in Iowa City and Columbus.
If ever there was a year to take each game one at a time, this is it. No breathers left on the schedule, but this team is battle tested already.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and shifix

I know where you're coming from because if you just look at the stat sheet, it's not too impressive.

But when he's healthy and 100%, as I hope is the case now, the guy has a knack for making plays at crucial times. I mean, sometimes a 4-yard run...or a 10-yard swing pass...making the first guy miss...at critical moments is more important than a 40-yard bolt when the pressure is less.

I gotta tell you, I'm a big fan of Noah Cain. And judging by what Franklin has said about him, the coach is too.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and jimarnp
Lovett and Cain would be a great one two punch if the Oline can make some holes for them to run in.
Agree on Lee, but he fumbled in each of the last 2 games, and never saw the field again after fumbling in both of those games. He needs to secure the ball better because he has been a much better inside runner.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
If ever there was a year to take each game one at a time, this is it. No breathers left on the schedule, but this team is battle tested already.

It's a brutal schedule in the toughest division in college football. There's only one saving grace to it, which is that none of the hardest games are back-to-back. They all have "breathers" in between...though none of those breathers with the exception of Villanova is an automatic W.

Yeah, I know I'm getting ahead of myself...and we're just one down week from being brought back to earth. Still, if you go by actual on-field performance rather than pre-season press clippings, I think you can make a case for us being the most impressive team in the league after three weeks of play.

In fact, I think we're going to leapfrog some top-10 teams in the rankings this week...and should. Not that it matters, because if we keep winning, the rankings will take care of themselves. At the end of the day, I'm guessing an awful lot of things will ride on what happens in Columbus on October 30.

so far, yes. but the schedule is brutal after next week. (Not that playing Wisconsin and Auburn in the first three games is easy.) I think we'll probably beat Indiana without too much of a problem, but after that who knows.
Indy nearly beat the 8th ranked team yesterday so they're not a gimme.

Reactions: PSU&Trout
Indy nearly beat the 8th ranked team yesterday so they're not a gimme.

They nearly beat a team that is #8 on paper. It is Cincinnati. Most of the B1G would defeat them

It's at home and I seriously doubt we have a problem putting Indiana away this season

Right now, I would put us at third behind Iowa (who has the best win in the conference) and Michigan that has shown zero flaws. Of course they haven't had to actually throw the football at this point but that will change.

I know where you're coming from because if you just look at the stat sheet, it's not too impressive.

But when he's healthy and 100%, as I hope is the case now, the guy has a knack for making plays at crucial times. I mean, sometimes a 4-yard run...or a 10-yard swing pass...making the first guy miss...at critical moments is more important than a 40-yard bolt when the pressure is less.

I gotta tell you, I'm a big fan of Noah Cain. And judging by what Franklin has said about him, the coach is too.
Cain had a great blitz pickup late in the game. Clifford would’ve been hammered. He’s starting for a reason

Pennix not the same Qb yet, after his knee injury.

iirc correctly, we should have dominated Indiana last year (when you look at yardage, etc.) but somehow gave it away with stupid mistakes. And even with that it ended in controversy. Hard to believe we have the same problem again

Reactions: N&B4PSU and Jerry
Right now, I would put us at third behind Iowa (who has the best win in the conference) and Michigan that has shown zero flaws. Of course they haven't had to actually throw the football at this point but that will change.
Of course you would. Iowa also had a nail biter against Northern Iowa and Michigan hasn’t played anyone. You have to really be looking to pick Michigan ahead of us at this point.

Agree that PSU looks like the best team at this point but it's a long season with a tough schedule.

I also agree that the defense has fought hard in the 4th quarter in spite of being tired.

That said there a few areas of concern. PSU hasn't been able to establish a running game. Also our defense has had to bring LBs and DBs up to help stop opponents run game. If Mertz or Nix were better QBs they would have taken advantage of that aggressiveness.

But every team has their weaknesses and I agree that PSU looks as good as anybody.

P.S. How did we draw the two best teams from the west division (Wisconsin and Iowa) on the road?

Reactions: Jerry
Agree that PSU looks like the best team at this point but it's a long season with a tough schedule.

I also agree that the defense has fought hard in the 4th quarter in spite of being tired.

That said there a few areas of concern. PSU hasn't been able to establish a running game. Also our defense has had to bring LBs and DBs up to help stop opponents run game. If Mertz or Nix were better QBs they would have taken advantage of that aggressiveness.

But every team has their weaknesses and I agree that PSU looks as good as anybody.

P.S. How did we draw the two best teams from the west division (Wisconsin and Iowa) on the road?
Same way we draw our conference opener on the road for 14 straight years.

Reactions: Jerry and bdgan
Michigan has played two directional schools. Washington is a traditional power but they lost to Montana. They could be very good but I think it's too early to say they're #2.

Bingo! I don't understand why he is getting such a high percentage of snaps. He doesn't look quick or fast.

The East is definitely the best division in college football. With Rutgers playing well and Maryland beating WVU, there’s no doubt and it’s not even close. Whoever wins that division and if they follow up winning the conference, they deserve to be in the playoffs even if they have two losses.
You might be right, but it won't happen if there are battling with a zero or one loss P5 team for a spot - especially a conference champ. That 2nd loss is the kiss of death. Never has and probably never will be a 2-loss picked over a 1-loss for a playoff spot - at least in the current 4-team field

Last edited:
Reactions: The Spin Meister
You might be right, but it won't happen if there are battling with a zero or one loss team P5 for a spot - especially a conference champ. That 2nd loss is the kiss of death. Never has and probably never will be a 2-loss picked over a 1-loss for a playoff spot - at least in the current 4-team field
I agree that’s what will happen, not what should happen. Clemson should be out of the picture already. If Clemson left the conference, any other team that won that conference with one loss wouldn’t get a second look and those are the teams Clemson is playing.

He had three great plays in Madison where he shook a defender in open space.

Michigan has played two directional schools. Washington is a traditional power but they lost to Montana. They could be very good but I think it's too early to say they're #2.
They have played two directional schools but they have looked flawless doing it and Washington's defense was expected to be at least as good as Auburn or Wisconsin's, neither of which has played anyone. Against similar competition (Ball State) we haven't looked as good offensively or defensively. But, that is why they play the games and it is still September and we meet on the field in a few weeks. We'll see where each team is at that point.

UM has played a directional Michigan school, a team with no wide receivers which also lost to an FCS team, and a MAC team. Excuse me if I withhold judgement until they play a team with a pulse.

Don’t worry, Hoke 2.0 has this. UM’s season collapse is as predictable as leaves changing color in the fall.

If Wisconsin beats the domers and we take care of business next weekend, we should have a pretty good indication about where this team stands going into the very tough meat of the B1G schedule.

Reactions: Jerry

I think MSU, OSU, UM and Iowa all have very strong running teams and will present just as strong a challenge as Auburn. As you said, B1G East will be a meat grinder.

Remember he is coming off a major injury. He is working his way back. He is not a speed back, but is good @ picking the hole and making yards.

Or a 5 yd TD on 3rd and goal. The kid is no game breaker…but he is tough and he is $.

Winning at Camp Randall is a far superior win compared to a vastly over rated Iowa state team that benched a 3 year star qb

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT