ADVERTISEMENT

The morning after...2022 edition

Jerry

May 29, 2001
I remember the first three games last year: Opened with a tough, close win against a West contender on the road. Cruised to a victory over a Mid-American team. Beat Auburn to go 3-0. And the Sunday morning after that Auburn win, I posted here that just maybe we had the best team in the league.

Then three weeks later, the QB went down and the roof fell in.

So this year, I'll try to keep my enthusiasm in check. EVEN THOUGH BLOWING OUT AUBURN IN THEIR STADIUM IS AMAZING!!!!

No seriously, we've played the most challenging schedule in the conference to this point, and it's hard not to be excited. So much excellent young talent all over the field...to include a potential superstar tailback who's breathed life back into the running game...captained by a 6th-year QB who looked the part yesterday.

We'll be heavy favorites the next two weeks and probably take a 5-0 record into a game against a likely unbeaten, highly-ranked conference opponent on the road. The scenario has a familiar ring to it.

But history doesn't always repeat itself...and for the next few weeks at least we can enjoy the ride. Coming into the year, not many people thought September would shape up this way.

Meanwhile, to quote the coach: CENTRAL MICHIGAN...CENTRAL MICHIGAN...CENTRAL MICHIGAN!!!!

I remember the first three games last year: Opened with a tough, close win against a West contender on the road. Cruised to a victory over a Mid-American team. Beat Auburn to go 3-0. And the Sunday morning after that Auburn win, I posted here that just maybe we had the best team in the league.

So this year, I'll try to keep my enthusiasm in check. EVEN THOUGH BLOWING OUT AUBURN IN THEIR STADIUM IS AMAZING!!!!

No seriously, we've played the most challenging schedule in the conference to this point, and it's hard not to be excited. So much excellent young talent all over the field...to include a potential superstar tailback who's breathed life back into the running game...captained by a 6th-year QB who looked the part yesterday.

We'll be heavy favorites the next two weeks and probably take a 5-0 record into a game against a likely unbeaten, highly-ranked conference opponent on the road. The scenario has a familiar ring to it.

But history doesn't always repeat itself...and for the next few weeks at least we can enjoy the ride. Coming into the year, not many people thought September would shape up this way.

Meanwhile, to quote the coach: CENTRAL MICHIGAN...CENTRAL MICHIGAN...CENTRAL MICHIGAN!!!!
But last year we didn’t dominate our easy opponent as much as we did this year and just look at the difference between this year’s Auburn game on the road and last year’s at home.

But last year we didn’t dominate our easy opponent as much as we did this year and just look at the difference between this year’s Auburn game on the road and last year’s at home.

Last year we didn't have the new, young depth we've shown across the board either. Last year we didn't have Singleton, Allen, Allar, Carter, etc., etc., etc.....

Auburn misses Bo Nix. They had a couple of series where they were running the ball well against our front 7 but not so much when we got a DB to provide added run support. A better QB might have taken advantage. Finley & Ashford couldn't.

I read that Auburn had a ton of recruits there. I wonder what a game like that does to recruiting. I might think the blow out loss wasn’t as bad for recruiting as the fans leaving in droves with a quarter yet to play.

Reactions: Online Persona
I read that Auburn had a ton of recruits there. I wonder what a game like that does to recruiting. I might think the blow out loss wasn’t as bad for recruiting as the fans leaving in droves with a quarter yet to play.
You never know. Some of them might see it as an opportunity to get early PT for Auburn if their team is Senior heavy. They also might like the campus and town.

Well they'll be a new coaching staff too

Last year we didn't have the new, young depth we've shown across the board either. Last year we didn't have Singleton, Allen, Allar, Carter, etc., etc., etc.....
We also didn't run out of the power I last year either. The light bulb finally went off over the heads of our offensive brain trust!! Now we are finally utilizing our stable of stud rbs properly and giving them the chance to shine out of the proper formation. If Clifford can stay healthy and Yurich keeps mixing things up like he is, this offense will put up some scary points!!! Running out of all those multiple formations, Auburn never knew what hit them and they were on their heels all day! I can see us really trampling people including UM and OSU. Clifford just needs to remain calm and let superstar backs do their thing and hop on for the ride!

On Defense, I love what Manny is doing. The LBs are starting to show up and be a factor. The DL actually started to get penetration and the dbs are blanketing their assignments. BUT! Please no more prevent D when it is 3rd and 15 plus! It never works! Just keep putting on the pressure!!!

Reactions: Jerry
We also didn't run out of the power I last year either. The light bulb finally went off over the heads of our offensive brain trust!! Now we are finally utilizing our stable of stud rbs properly and giving them the chance to shine out of the proper formation. If Clifford can stay healthy and Yurich keeps mixing things up like he is, this offense will put up some scary points!!! Running out of all those multiple formations, Auburn never knew what hit them and they were on their heels all day! I can see us really trampling people including UM and OSU. Clifford just needs to remain calm and let superstar backs do their thing and hop on for the ride!

On Defense, I love what Manny is doing. The LBs are starting to show up and be a factor. The DL actually started to get penetration and the dbs are blanketing their assignments. BUT! Please no more prevent D when it is 3rd and 15 plus! It never works! Just keep putting on the pressure!!!

Clearly, they've been reading the board and finally utilized the football board savants "braintrust". All credit to the football board savants - we probably lose that game without them. lol

• Love
Reactions: Westcoast24
Auburn misses Bo Nix. They had a couple of series where they were running the ball well against our front 7 but not so much when we got a DB to provide added run support. A better QB might have taken advantage. Finley & Ashford couldn't.

Yup, the word on Auburn coming in was they had big problems at the QB position, which is pretty much the worst place to have big problems.

Meanwhile, Bo Nix was having a career day versus BYU yesterday.

Reactions: bdgan
Remember Franklion is Mr. September. Keep it n perspective.... 1-0. October is a juggernaut.

That three-game stretch between October 15-29 will definitely tell the tale. Win two, and the sky's the limit. Hey, we can dream...

We don't run the power I.

I don't think he understands that you have to have a FB to line up in the I-Formation. Running from under center doesn't change a single-back set into an "I Formation"....
LOL and actually, the "power I" has 3 set backs.
A full back with a tailback behind him is simply "I" formation.

Reactions: lazydave841

Nix isn't a guarantee to make the throws nor runs Finley did. He's as turnover prone. The only down field passing threat they had was the slot vs Hardy, which required 2 excellent passes and 3rd and forever against prevent zones.

Auburn probably abandoned the run too quickly and should have swing passed us to death with their backs and WRs off motion, but they didn't.

Their defense got gassed as well. Singleton and his 3 touch drive showed that.

LOL and actually, the "power I" has 3 set backs.
A full back with a tailback behind him is simply "I" formation.

Yes, I understand a Power I usually includes 2 up-backs and a tail-back. But my point was that you can't even run "I-Formation" (which includes a simple I and Power-I) without a Fullback.

• Love
Reactions: Westcoast24
Yes, I understand a Power I usually includes 2 up-backs and a tail-back. But my point was that you can't even run "I-Formation" (which includes a simple I and Power-I) without a Fullback.
Correct. The" I" is near and dear to my heart. Back in the middle ages when I played.....we ran it in high school and it was my offense of choice for 13 years when I coached.
Nothing says football to me like a fullback stepping on the toes of a LB on an ISO or kicking out a DE (OLB) on a POT. Make fullbacks great again!

Correct. The" I" is near and dear to my heart. Back in the middle ages when I played.....we ran it in high school and it was my offense of choice for 13 years when I coached.
Nothing says football to me like a fullback stepping on the toes of a LB on an ISO or kicking out a DE (OLB) on a POT. Make fullbacks great again!
We actually DID run the true Power I in high school, we ran it with 2 variations: One with a tight end and a split end, and one with two tight ends...the formations both had a fullback, a half back parallel to the full back strong right or left, and a tail back lined up behind the full back.

We actually DID run the true Power I in high school, we ran it with 2 variations: One with a tight end and a split end, and one with two tight ends...the formations both had a fullback, a half back parallel to the full back strong right or left, and a tail back lined up behind the full back.
That's the power I, as opposed to using a flanker....pro I.....or slot I etc.

Interesting Parker, was the school in the Parker Dam area?

That's the power I, as opposed to using a flanker....pro I.....or slot I etc.
Right. We also ran something we called "Ohio State" right or left...in this we would split out a flanker and a slot back to one side with a tight end on the other side, with a full back and tail back. We ran something we called "Banana pass" in which the tailback would run a wheel route with the flanker and slot back running deep post corners to that side

I played at Ridgway in the mid/late 70s.
We didn't play Ridgway, but we did play Kane one season. We were in the Inter County Conference in D6, although we would sometimes schedule a couple D9 teams per season. One year we played Curwensville, another we scheduled Redbank Valley. My senior year we scrimmage Coudersport and I clearly remember how freaking long that Bus ride was to Cherry Springs...back then they had a logger festival up there at the same time and while I grew up with rednecks, that game was literally like going to Deliverance

I wouldn't mind a Power I formation with Singleton deep, Strange at FB, and Allen at HB at the goal line or short yardage.
Actually already doing this but in a T formation. It works now, but it didn't work last year. Actually Clifford sneaking has worked but it failed against Auburn because they needed more than a yard.

Actually already doing this but in a T formation. It works now, but it didn't work last year. Actually Clifford sneaking has worked but it failed against Auburn because they needed more than a yard.

Exactly. Now use the same players, get another formation out of it. Just one more thing for defensive coordinators to defend.

Reactions: Parkerdam555
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT