The Miracle of SolarCity.......I really like this approach as I've always....

Proudlion1

Aug 25, 2004
http://www.slate.com/articles/busin..._solar_panel_but_it_invented_something.2.html

believe that solar had a place in the residential market. The Lease approach is a great approach as a capital investment, for the homeowner, of $30k plus, brings too long of a payback timeline.

I'd like to better understand the Lease; however, as I'm concerned about issues related to re-sale of the home/change of home ownership. Is the Buyer of the home obligated to the terms of the Lease? etc.

Has anyone studied this?

I continue to believe that solar energy has no place in large commercial power applications.

bdgan

May 29, 2008
http://www.slate.com/articles/busin..._solar_panel_but_it_invented_something.2.html

believe that solar had a place in the residential market. The Lease approach is a great approach as a capital investment, for the homeowner, of $30k plus, brings too long of a payback timeline.

I'd like to better understand the Lease; however, as I'm concerned about issues related to re-sale of the home/change of home ownership. Is the Buyer of the home obligated to the terms of the Lease? etc.

Has anyone studied this?

I continue to believe that solar energy has no place in large commercial power applications.

Some thoughts:
  1. Notice that they talked about installations in Hawaii & San Diego. What about areas with much less sunshine?
  2. Do you have to get on your roof and remove snow from these things? What about periodic cost of removing dirt & debris?
  3. I assume you could roll the cost into your mortgage for new construction.
  4. Does it make sense for existing homes with a 10 year old roof? In another 10 years the roof will need replaced and the cost will be higher if they have to remove and replace the solar panels.
  5. I assume that solar technology will improve greatly in the next 10+ years. Do you really want to finance the purchase over 30 years if you might want to upgrade newer technology much sooner.
  6. Solar roofs are unattractive.
  7. Still only makes sense with gov't subsidies.

thecoolestfish

Nov 1, 2005
Some thoughts:
  1. Notice that they talked about installations in Hawaii & San Diego. What about areas with much less sunshine?
  2. Do you have to get on your roof and remove snow from these things? What about periodic cost of removing dirt & debris?
  3. I assume you could roll the cost into your mortgage for new construction.
  4. Does it make sense for existing homes with a 10 year old roof? In another 10 years the roof will need replaced and the cost will be higher if they have to remove and replace the solar panels.
  5. I assume that solar technology will improve greatly in the next 10+ years. Do you really want to finance the purchase over 30 years if you might want to upgrade newer technology much sooner.
  6. Solar roofs are unattractive.
  7. Still only makes sense with gov't subsidies.

Congrats. From a list of seven points, you had one good one (#5).

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
Congrats. From a list of seven points, you had one good one (#5).

Actually, you hit on a very important point. Is what we have ready for "prime time"? Or is it like buying a PC? We are talking about energy here.

T J

May 29, 2001
Questions have been raised about the safety and other issues if there are roof solar panels and you have a fire.

Because firefighters may not have standardized procedures, or maybe because of inherent problems with panels on roofs...

We saw some stories that indicated some firefighters' responses are to not provide the same quick responses when homes have panels, due to safety concerns.

Checking out local emergency responses and checking out your insurance coverage issues seem to be very important at this stage of the residential solar market.

The Spin Meister

Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
This all sounds good, a private company financing, installing, maintaining, and operating the system. But one big catch, do they get tax subsidies for these programs? Are taxpayers actually the ones paying for these systems? Do they get reimbursed over the 20-30 yrs of operation? Or is this another example of favored industries feeding at the public teet?

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
Questions have been raised about the safety and other issues if there are roof solar panels and you have a fire.

Because firefighters may not have standardized procedures, or maybe because of inherent problems with panels on roofs...

We saw some stories that indicated some firefighters' responses are to not provide the same quick responses when homes have panels, due to safety concerns.

Checking out local emergency responses and checking out your insurance coverage issues seem to be very important at this stage of the residential solar market.

These things are now running at 1000 to 1500 V. Used to be 600 V. There were steep requirements for the materials used on these systems when the voltage increased.

No one wants to "F" around with that kind of voltage.....

thecoolestfish

Nov 1, 2005
You could explain why you disagree with the other points instead of making an a$$hole comment. On the other hand, perhaps you can't.

bdgan, you post some variation of this list all the time, and someone always explains to you why they're unfounded. I don't have time to do it yet again. Go find the last time you posted your list, and you'll be able to see the explanations.

gjbankos

Jan 16, 2006

Has anyone studied this?

I had solarcity come out to my house to give me a pitch. It is a 10 year lease and the rate was slightly cheaper than what I pay now. The total savings would have been <$100/year. When you sell the house, the buyer either takes over the terms of the lease or you pay solarcity to move the panels onto your new house. I would've produced about 85% of my electricity usage via the solar panels.

I ultimately didn't go with them because of the length of the lease, the small difference in cost and the fact that I was at the mercy of their pricing. The contract said that price increases won't exceed 3.5%, but I didn't want to be locked into them for 10 years. Leasing from solarcity is not a cost savings play. It is strictly an environmental play.

Reactions: T J

bdgan

May 29, 2008
bdgan, you post some variation of this list all the time, and someone always explains to you why they're unfounded. I don't have time to do it yet again. Go find the last time you posted your list, and you'll be able to see the explanations.
Ok, you can't.

Proudlion1

Aug 25, 2004
I had solarcity come out to my house to give me a pitch. It is a 10 year lease and the rate was slightly cheaper than what I pay now. The total savings would have been <$100/year. When you sell the house, the buyer either takes over the terms of the lease or you pay solarcity to move the panels onto your new house. I would've produced about 85% of my electricity usage via the solar panels.

I ultimately didn't go with them because of the length of the lease, the small difference in cost and the fact that I was at the mercy of their pricing. The contract said that price increases won't exceed 3.5%, but I didn't want to be locked into them for 10 years. Leasing from solarcity is not a cost savings play. It is strictly an environmental play.

Thanks for the insight.

Latest posts