ADVERTISEMENT

The match that prevented Yianni from potentially being a four-time undefeated NCAA champion

Psalm 1 guy

Nov 3, 2019
Going into next season Yianni is 94-1 (88-1 against "allowable" NCAA competition) with the chance of being a four-time NCAA champion. He didn't get a chance to defend his title in 2021 due to the Ivy league canceling all winter sports. Check out his lone loss to Jaydin Eierman in 2017 to see how close he was to having the chance this coming season to become the second ever four-time undefeated NCAA champion. Eierman v. Yianni

Going into next season Yianni is 94-1 (88-1 against "allowable" NCAA competition) with the chance of being a four-time NCAA champion. He didn't get a chance to defend his title in 2021 due to the Ivy league canceling all winter sports. Check out his lone loss to Jaydin Eierman in 2017 to see how close he was to having the chance this coming season to become the second ever four-time undefeated NCAA champion. Eierman v. Yianni
He got taken down and put on his back for 4. A 6 point move in the last 30 seconds. Not a close final score and he deserved to lose. Eireman caught him and deserved the W. Not nearly as close as Nolf's loss to Martinez.

I really would have liked to see Yianni stay at 141 to see he and Nick wrestle this year. I think that would have been a great match with a lot of great scrambles.

I'd have to take Nick. Maybe that is my blue/white bias, but Nick had reached that level where you always think he is going to win or pull something out.

Reactions: monkhoward
I'd have to take Nick. Maybe that is my blue/white bias, but Nick had reached that level where you always think he is going to win or pull something out.
But not the same for Yianni? The guy who in his first NCAA tournament was losing to Heil 5-4 with :43 left and won 6-5, was losing to Eierman 4-3 with :42 left and won in OT, and was losing to Meredith 4-2 with :42 left and won 7-4 with a takedown and NF with :17 left? The guy who in his second NCAA tournament was tied with Eierman and won with a TD with :27 to go, and who was losing to McKenna with :05 left and won in OT?

Yianni is now past the point where he needs to pull something out; he's just at the level where you *know* he will win.

(I'm sure he'll kick himself until the day he dies (or wins an Olympic gold) for taking that bad shot against Eierman, if he ends with only that one loss)

Reactions: PSUbluTX
But not the same for Yianni? The guy who in his first NCAA tournament was losing to Heil 5-4 with :43 left and won 6-5, was losing to Eierman 4-3 with :42 left and won in OT, and was losing to Meredith 4-2 with :42 left and won 7-4 with a takedown and NF with :17 left? The guy who in his second NCAA tournament was tied with Eierman and won with a TD with :27 to go, and who was losing to McKenna with :05 left and won in OT?

Yianni is now past the point where he needs to pull something out; he's just at the level where you *know* he will win.

(I'm sure he'll kick himself until the day he dies (or wins an Olympic gold) for taking that bad shot against Eierman, if he ends with only that one loss)

"he's just at the level where you *know* he will win."

Only when he's trying.

I’m guessing Yianni recognized that he had a pretty easy path to winning 149, and not such an easy path at 141.

They weren’t going to score any points at whatever weight he didn’t go, so it was a pretty easy decision to go 149 and not cut much this past season.

Reactions: danoftw

I don't think I was throwing any shade at Yianni. I never said that he couldn't do anything. The guy is great.

I stated that it might be my blue/white bias. And, that doesn't change.

Reactions: mcpat
Cornell Legal Team can't get this loss scrubbed from the records?

soviet-censorship-naval-commissar-vanishes.jpg

I find that very satisfying every time I watch. The run away to the center rope-a-dope, the flailing on the back, the complaining about who knows what to who knows who.

Reactions: danoftw
Is he gonna jump Dake on GOAT list?
I say he AND Spencer both should
Dake has a resume which includes NC wins over two guys who eventually were Olympians. As a PSU fan, guys who beat our guys get extra credit. I don't like it, but I have immense respect of those who do. Not to say Yanni won't get there..........

Reactions: PSUbluTX
Was he a true freshman when this loss happened?
Yep. I have a feeling if he went to a program where he would redshirt he would have finished his career undefeated. We’ll never know, and I don’t see him losing again.

Dake has a resume which includes NC wins over two guys who eventually were Olympians. As a PSU fan, guys who beat our guys get extra credit. I don't like it, but I have immense respect of those who do. Not to say Yanni won't get there..........
Im puttin Lee in front of him at least, won 1st title in first year of college just like KD, at least one Hodge, and been a bonus MACHINE. Of course this is mute point as Robbie gonna wreck all this anyway 😜

ADVERTISEMENT