ADVERTISEMENT

The Mark Allen-Coach Huff incident

PennStateNate

Feb 2, 2014
surprised this hasn't been talked about. Allen should have been benched for his mouth, but a coach should never ever grab a player in a agressive manner. I am all for roughing kids up, but that was extreme.

Reactions: Ski
surprised this hasn't been talked about. Allen should have been benched for his mouth, but a coach should never ever grab a player in a agressive manner. I am all for roughing kids up, but that was extreme.
Let me guess - if Jim Harbaugh had done it, you'd start 2 threads that day praising his old school approach.

Let me guess - if Jim Harbaugh had done it, you'd start 2 threads that day praising his old school approach.

I would never say doing that was ok. Weren't you one of the ones who yelled about the Florida coach yelling at his player for the throat slash? Funny how this is now ok.

The coach was way outta bounds. Cuss the kid out, get in his face, and bench him. But you can't grab ahold of a kid like that on national tv. It's a poor reflection on the entire coaching staff...

Reactions: Ski and ACGT
I wasn't aware of Allen's mouth, but I'm generally a day late and $2 short. I guess I need to research threads to learn what he said. I do know that the kid seems to have a great work ethic, actually blocks incoming blitzes and went up to Franklin shortly thereafter to explain/apologize. I think the kid has "it" to become something special.

Nonetheless, sideline actions by the coach were wholly un-PSU like. We don't act like that.

I would never say doing that was ok. Weren't you one of the ones who yelled about the Florida coach yelling at his player for the throat slash? Funny how this is now ok.
No I wasn't. Do you have a link where I did that? Had no problems with the Florida coach - had no problems with Lou Holtz grabbing a guy's face mask when the player cheap shotted someone.

As an aside, if you want to start multiple Michigan threads on a daily basis, there's another board for that.

I loved it and the follow up discussion and constructive love from Franklin. It's what builds character. On the spot.

This was 100% Hack's fault. If anyone was benched, it should have been Hack for for putting the ball on Allen's opposite side elbow.

I loved it and the follow up discussion and constructive love from Franklin. It's what builds character. On the spot.
Agreed. He talked back to the head coach. Charles showed him what Huff love is (trademark pending). It isn't a big deal to anyone who's ever played the game before bc this stuff happens, he didn't hit him, he didn't grab his face mask, he grabbed by the collar. No harm done.

I think one thing you are missing here. Allen took his helmet off on the field. He was lucky not to get flagged. I think that was another reason Coach Huff was pissed. As a football coach, I don't have an issue with what he did. If you do, maybe gymnastics is a better sport for you.

You think that was extreme? He didn't want Allen standing on the field mouthing off. I saw Joe grab a player by the jersey dozens of times to get their attention about something.

The matter was handled appropriately on the field. If we want to play big time football we have to wear our big boy pants. Let's focus on OSU.

Agreed. He talked back to the head coach. Charles showed him what Huff love is (trademark pending). It isn't a big deal to anyone who's ever played the game before bc this stuff happens, he didn't hit him, he didn't grab his face mask, he grabbed by the collar. No harm done.

ok, obviously i missed this. i saw him come to the sideline mouthing something (guessing... WTF handoff $%^& was that?.. ain't on me)... after Huff did his thing, Allen went straight to Franklin. As to what was said then, i have no idea. but it didn't seem huff was reacting to allen saying something to franklin.. but again, i might have missed that part.

i like that he came back in, took the rock, and did good stuff with it. he's a player.

Reactions: fairgambit

How do you think that looked on national telivision? It made ESPiN's game highlights. How did that appeared to the parents of recruit or a recruit? During a game you cannot grab ahold of a player's jersey and violently pull him off the field It's a poor reflection on PSU and our coaching staff.

Hell I played a game at East Stroudsburg U and got called for a block in the back and my head coach ran up to me at halftime grabbed my face mask and ripped my head about 180! Shit happens! To many sissy, premadonas who want a perfect world!

How do you think that looked on national telivision? It made ESPiN's game highlights. How did that appeared to the parents of recruit or a recruit? During a game you cannot grab ahold of a player's jersey and violently pull him off the field It's a poor reflection on PSU and our coaching staff.
If that was my kid and I found out he was mouthing off, I would thank the coach. This was NOTHING but someone trying to make a story.

What's the over/under on the number of threads PennStateNate aka Dunc5 starts claiming he's someone he isn't?

WOW!!! Im not sure what some of you want. Huff was simply trying to get him off the dam field while Allen was simply just lolly gagging with his helmet off to boot.

Reactions: Hotshoe
Dunc5 sure was a miserable asshole
As a few others have mentioned, many may have never seen Joe in his prime. He was one intense guy and yes, many times got a guy's attention by grabbing him. I have no problem at all with Coach Huff's actions. If he did that in response to a kid making a bad play I would have a problem with it. But in this case it was clearly in response to Allen acting like a knucklehead and trying to make sure everyone knew the fumble was not his fault.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
As a few others have mentioned, many may have never seen Joe in his prime. He was one intense guy and yes, many times got a guy's attention by grabbing him. I have no problem at all with Coach Huff's actions. If he did that in response to a kid making a bad play I would have a problem with it. But in this case it was clearly in response to Allen acting like a knucklehead and trying to make sure everyone knew the fumble was not his fault.

Maybe he was saying "Hey - get off my lawn!"

Reactions: T J
Good job coach. Keep your helmet on and your mouth shut. If you embarrass the program, we will embarrass you (should be the message). Players step out of line now and then. They are kids. You really have to be looking for problems to complain about that. When I played and coached you were grabbed by the pads or the facemask and the coach climbed inside your headgear. You didn't run home to mommy with the story and you quietly cleaned your jock and girdle and didn't make the same mistake again.

Reactions: bytir
By the look of some of your responses, some of you need to be grabbed up.. Sissy boys!

Watch Joe Paterno much? He did it many times.....

You think that was extreme? He didn't want Allen standing on the field mouthing off. I saw Joe grab a player by the jersey dozens of times to get their attention about something.
Joe used to grab them directly by the face mask. Not a big deal.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Apparently Franklin didn't think what Coach Huff did was appropriate. He addressed it during his press conference earlier today.

no coach, at any level, should ever grab a player by their facemask in anger. ever.

What "incident"? You like "roughing kids up" but think that was "extreme"? Get a grip.

ADVERTISEMENT