The Great Cheesesteak Ripoff

NJPSU

May 29, 2001
I go to pick up 3 Cheesesteaks and fries for lunch from a local take out place. I get back in my car and look at the receipt because the total seemed high.

The listing at the bottom went like this.
Total:xxx
Tax:xx
Fees: $1.54
Grand Total: xxx

Fees? What is this scam they are pulling on NJPSU? I paid with a credit card so I’m thinking maybe a surcharge for using a CC?

More private sector shenanigans. :oops:

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
I go to pick up 3 Cheesesteaks and fries for lunch from a local take out place. I get back in my car and look at the receipt because the total seemed high.

Fees? What is this scam they are pulling on NJPSU? I paid with a credit card so I’m thinking maybe a surcharge for using a CC?

Welcome to Biden's America.

interrobang

Aug 21, 2016
Lots of lefty states are adding service fees as a de facto tip (and some outright say it's part of the employee's pay but shouldn't be considered a tip)

Reactions: Sullivan and GSPMax

Aardvark86

Jan 23, 2018

Trust me buddy. You do NOT want to eat a public sector cheesesteak.

then again, gubmint cheese is sorta in your wheelhouse isn't it?

NJPSU

May 29, 2001
Lots of lefty states are adding service fees as a de facto tip (and some outright say it's part of the employee's pay but shouldn't be considered a tip)
They did also have a tip jar on the counter but who pays or carries cash these days?

bdgan

May 29, 2008

Do you want the government to give you a coupon?

Better yet, go buy your cheesesteaks from the government.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hotshoe

NJPSU

May 29, 2001
Do you want the government to give you a coupon?

Better yet, go buy your cheesesteaks from the government.
How about a law that says they must disclose these fees prior to purchase. That law probably already exists and they are violating it.

NJPSU

May 29, 2001
Well call the place and ask. If you preordered online it will be the service fee for that.

If not probably a fuel surcharge.

100% certain they would disclose it.
It’s an amusing topic to discuss with you Wingnuts but no way in hell I’m calling a restaurant over $1.54.

• Haha
Reactions: Aardvark86

bdgan

May 29, 2008
How about a law that says they must disclose these fees prior to purchase. That law probably already exists and they are violating it.
Class action suit. Go for it! The great NJ cheesesteak caper.

Reactions: NJPSU

psuted

Gold Member
Nov 26, 2010

That’s the “Biden” fee to support his green energy initiative.

Hotshoe

Gold Member
Feb 15, 2012
Why don't you call the Guvnor! For a person that constantly braggs about his income, you whine at those that actually work for a living. I distinctly remember you saying inflation was no big deal. The guvment you want does nothing but provide bread lines.

Reactions: Sullivan and bdgan

pawrestlersintn

Jan 26, 2013

If only your local cheesesteak joint was government-owned, you could have had an overpriced, shitty, overcooked steak with a crusty roll.

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
They did also have a tip jar on the counter but who pays or carries cash these days?

Maybe NJ is behind the times, but at many fast food restaurants, the credit card reader gives you an option to tip. I always do. 20%. Even at Subway.

You don't?

SheldonJoe2215

Oct 3, 2015
Portland, OR
C'mon Sheldon Joe...... It's like.................... $1.54 extra....
Not the point. I don't tip 20% unless I am being waited on, being served a drink, or having food delivered. If I go into Foot Locker, I don't tip the man or woman who brings me my shoes.

Tipping is out of hand. And this is from someone who spent years waiting tables in college and my early twenties.

And when did we all agree that a good tip went from 15% to 20%? Since the cost of a meal is always going up, they were already getting an increase in their wage. What's next, 30%??

Last edited:

LionDeNittany

May 29, 2001
DFW, TX
Not the point. I don't tip 20% unless I am being waited on, being served a drink, or having food delivered. If I go into Foot Locker, I don't tip the man or woman who brings me my shoes.

Tipping is out of hand. And this is from someone who spent years waiting tables in college and my early twenties.

And when did we all agree that a good tip went from 15% to 20%? Since the cost of a meal is always going up, they were already getting an increase in their wage. What's next, 30%??

I did too. It's sort of amazing how people tip.

Wait on a table for an hour and get 5 bucks.

Someone pours a coffee. They get a buck.

Tipping is way out of hand I agree.

LdN

Lesgo_Brandon

Nov 11, 2021
St Louis

3 cheesecakes and fries for lunch? Pace yourself big guy or you'll burst that manzier!

NJPSU

May 29, 2001
Is there a sign at the gas station disclosing the fee you're paying for not being able to pump your own gas?
Poor example.

The gas is listed at X per gallon and you are paying X per gallon.

The cheesesteak is listed at $x and you are being charged $x + $1.54 with no disclosure until after purchase.

Latest posts