ADVERTISEMENT

The first B1G team to play at Auburn

Marylovesthelions

Sep 29, 2008
Mt Dora FL
I was on campus for 2 days during the Auburn game last year and met dozens of really wonderful people. I talked to as many as I could and they were really really glad to be at Penn State and enjoying themselves. Can you imagine if you could go to an SEC campus every other year and if one of them could come to us how much more interesting football would be.

As I walked to the stadium prior to the game, I made the mistake of asking an Auburn fan with 3 generations of family in tow if he was enjoying his trip. He was an older guy, maybe in his 70's. Said he had never traveled north of the Mason Dixon line. Said he would never come back again. Then the guy went off on me about how he had been treated by a group of students. He was actually speaking in a rather threatening tone. I didn't quite know how to respond. I just apologized and walked away.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind if they just rotated Auburn and Alabama because the Alabama fans are good people and always enjoyed being with them whenever we've played on the road, at home, or in bowl games which goes all the way back to the Sugar Bowls in the seventies. I'm ambivalent to the rest of the conference but Alabama CFB fans are a good bunch.

As I walked to the stadium prior to the game, I made the mistake of asking an Auburn fan with 3 generations of family on tow if he was enjoying his trip. He was an older guy, maybe in his 70's. Said he had never traveled north of the Mason Dixon line. Said he would never come back again. Then the guy went off on me about how he had been treated by a group of students. He was actually speaking in a rather threatening tone. I didn't quite know how to respond. I just apologized and walked away.
well, I've seen "students" act pretty rudely.

I talked to four Michigan fans after the four overtime game. An excruciating loss to be sure. They had gotten yelled at by many students but continued to be nice and professional. Most adult PSU fans yelled "nice game" or "your team fought their heart's out". They recognized the difference the deadly combination of youth and booze can be.

Reactions: JWB389 and psu00
Im an Auburn alumn, and cant speak for bama fans. But, as an AU guy, i would donate a kidney if Auburn would play a home and home with a B1G school every year. Back in the 80’s and 90’s, we had a pretty robust rivalry with Florida St and Texas. It really brings some excitement to the season to play good, quality OOC games. We really enjoy meeting people from different parts of the country, tailgating and sharing ours with them, and seeing the traditions at other schools. Genuinely hope to meet a bunch of you good folks this weekend down on the Plains.

I live in South Carolina. I grew up in northern WV, and became a PSU fan when I was 14. I love Penn State and PSU football! But I've lived down here for thirty years and I can tell you that your interaction with those people from Auburn is unfortunately the way a lot of people are like in the south and the SEC. Georgia and Clemson (ACC) are the worse places that you will encounter that. I live in Columbia SC and going to a game in Williams Brice stadium is a great experience. USC Gamecock fans are generally very friendly. I wish PSU would play S Carolina. You would love the experience of visiting here. But that group you had the unfortunate experience of meeting are people who are still fighting the civil war. And they don't get just how ignorant that statement they made to you was. To say "I've never been north of the mason dixon line" betrays that he is poorly traveled and has experienced very little of this country. They will never accept that the Union won the war. Despite the fact that they did. And that "threatening tone" you experienced, you probably perceived it correctly. And I doubt that you liked it. And that's exactly how Trump people make people like myself feel. It's not subtle. That's where we are in 2022. Trump has brought violence into politics. That didn't exist before. I voted for and supported Gore, but I didn't hate and never felt threatened by George W. Bush supporters. I voted for Clinton but I respected HW Bush as a decent, honest man with integrity. I would have proudly supported him as our president had he beat Clinton. But Trump has brought out the worst in this country. Brought out things that I didn't even know existed. Other than the weather, life is much better in Pennsylvania. Overall people in Pa are a lot more open minded and in my opinion, nicer. I have always loved Pennsylvania.

I wish that PSU was playing South Carolina instead of Auburn. People from PSU would love coming to Columbia for a game.
OMG - take it to the politics board!

well, I've seen "students" act pretty rudely.

I talked to four Michigan fans after the four overtime game. An excruciating loss to be sure. They had gotten yelled at by many students but continued to be nice and professional. Most adult PSU fans yelled "nice game" or "your team fought their heart's out". They recognized the difference the deadly combination of youth and booze can be.
It’s really shameful and unnecessary. I wish I could say it is simply a poor reflection on the individuals that do it, but unfortunately it also puts PSU in a bad light.

Reactions: Obliviax
It’s really shameful and unnecessary. I wish I could say it is simply a poor reflection on the individuals that do it, but unfortunately it also puts PSU in a bad light.
giphy.gif

Im an Auburn alumn, and cant speak for bama fans. But, as an AU guy, i would donate a kidney if Auburn would play a home and home with a B1G school every year. Back in the 80’s and 90’s, we had a pretty robust rivalry with Florida St and Texas. It really brings some excitement to the season to play good, quality OOC games. We really enjoy meeting people from different parts of the country, tailgating and sharing ours with them, and seeing the traditions at other schools. Genuinely hope to meet a bunch of you good folks this weekend down on the Plains.
Good stuff, you SEC guys are intense, but great and welcoming fans.

Reactions: SH0RTS
Good stuff, you SEC guys are intense, but great and welcoming fans.
Ive been texting with some PSU folks we tailgated with last year. Unfortunately, none of them are coming to let me return the favor. We’ve got a few cases of Yuengling, a few 10 year bourbons, music pumpin on the Yamahas and are griddling up Philly cheesesteaks. I hope some of you here spot us on Roosevelt across from the library parking deck at Comer Hall. Stop in and celebrate the day with us.

You guys should send CFJisJoePall early as a sort of PSU ambassador to make sure everything goes smooth between the fan bases.

Ive been texting with some PSU folks we tailgated with last year. Unfortunately, none of them are coming to let me return the favor. We’ve got a few cases of Yuengling, a few 10 year bourbons, music pumpin on the Yamahas and are griddling up Philly cheesesteaks. I hope some of you here spot us on Roosevelt across from the library parking deck at Comer Hall. Stop in and celebrate the day with us.

This is what it should always be about....

Good man!!

I live in South Carolina. I grew up in northern WV, and became a PSU fan when I was 14. I love Penn State and PSU football! But I've lived down here for thirty years and I can tell you that your interaction with those people from Auburn is unfortunately the way a lot of people are like in the south and the SEC. Georgia and Clemson (ACC) are the worse places that you will encounter that. I live in Columbia SC and going to a game in Williams Brice stadium is a great experience. USC Gamecock fans are generally very friendly. I wish PSU would play S Carolina. You would love the experience of visiting here. But that group you had the unfortunate experience of meeting are people who are still fighting the civil war. And they don't get just how ignorant that statement they made to you was. To say "I've never been north of the mason dixon line" betrays that he is poorly traveled and has experienced very little of this country. They will never accept that the Union won the war. Despite the fact that they did. And that "threatening tone" you experienced, you probably perceived it correctly. And I doubt that you liked it. And that's exactly how Trump people make people like myself feel. It's not subtle. That's where we are in 2022. Trump has brought violence into politics. That didn't exist before. I voted for and supported Gore, but I didn't hate and never felt threatened by George W. Bush supporters. I voted for Clinton but I respected HW Bush as a decent, honest man with integrity. I would have proudly supported him as our president had he beat Clinton. But Trump has brought out the worst in this country. Brought out things that I didn't even know existed. Other than the weather, life is much better in Pennsylvania. Overall people in Pa are a lot more open minded and in my opinion, nicer. I have always loved Pennsylvania.

I wish that PSU was playing South Carolina instead of Auburn. People from PSU would love coming to Columbia for a game.
Congrats on your 6th post!

Nice job of painting with a broad brush. If you read the original post, the Auburn fan was reacting to some pretty ignorant actions by some idiot PSU fans. Hard to blame him for his reaction.

Nice job of painting with a broad brush. If you read the original post, the Auburn fan was reacting to some pretty ignorant actions by some idiot PSU fans. Hard to blame him for his reaction.
Yeah, he kind of went off the deep end about halfway through that post. Lived here most of my life, born and raised in the home base of the civil rights movement. No one down here gives a rats rectum about the civil war. I think that particular AU fan was probably a little on the sensitive side, and doesn't travel to many ball games. The important thing to remember when you travel around to out of state games is, go into it with an open mind. Understand before you go that you will encounter a handful or less of obnoxious rival fans(we all have them), and don't give it any weight as to what you are there for- to have a good time, meet new people and hope you go home with a victory. Avoid politics at all costs. It has nothing to do with why you are there. Easy for me, because ive refused to vote or care about it for over 20 years now. When traveling, you’ll be treated like you treat others. The chips we wear on our shoulders should be left at home. Be proud of your team, represent them with class and you’ll be embraced by any school you visit. Do these things, and youll go home with a positive opinion of whatever fans from whatever school you visit- north, south, east or west

Reactions: bytir and SR108
Yeah, he kind of went off the deep end about halfway through that post. Lived here most of my life, born and raised in the home base of the civil rights movement. No one down here gives a rats rectum about the civil war. I think that particular AU fan was probably a little on the sensitive side, and doesn't travel to many ball games. The important thing to remember when you travel around to out of state games is, go into it with an open mind. Understand before you go that you will encounter a handful or less of obnoxious rival fans(we all have them), and don't give it any weight as to what you are there for- to have a good time, meet new people and hope you go home with a victory. Avoid politics at all costs. It has nothing to do with why you are there. Easy for me, because ive refused to vote or care about it for over 20 years now. When traveling, you’ll be treated like you treat others. The chips we wear on our shoulders should be left at home. Be proud of your team, represent them with class and you’ll be embraced by any school you visit. Do these things, and youll go home with a positive opinion of whatever fans from whatever school you visit- north, south, east or west
If he wants to know what obnoxious fans really are, wear an opposing jersey to an Eagles game once.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: SH0RTS
ADVERTISEMENT