ADVERTISEMENT

The few surprise players on D.....

LaJolla Lion

May 29, 2001
Cumberland line
I think we know who the DE's are and they will find some production there, but I have a feeling Scott, Monroe, and Wade turn this secondary into a very athletic secondary with the guys that are already in place (Allen, Haley, Campbell, Apke, Amani O). The younger guys will push some of these guys and probably pass a couple on by.

The DB talent upgrade in the last 2 classes has been amazing as it was really one area where PSU really did underachieve for years. Z Mac, D Johnson, Wade, Castro-Fields, Brown, Sunderland, A Johnson....good core group that will be here for a few years and really don't have to be rushed on the field unless they are ready like a Wade.

A little over 2 months...need more football talk in the offseason.

I think we know who the DE's are and they will find some production there, but I have a feeling Scott, Monroe, and Wade turn this secondary into a very athletic secondary with the guys that are already in place (Allen, Haley, Campbell, Apke, Amani O). The younger guys will push some of these guys and probably pass a couple on by.

The DB talent upgrade in the last 2 classes has been amazing as it was really one area where PSU really did underachieve for years. Z Mac, D Johnson, Wade, Castro-Fields, Brown, Sunderland, A Johnson....good core group that will be here for a few years and really don't have to be rushed on the field unless they are ready like a Wade.

Yes! More football talk. Good post.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y

Penn State football talk never takes a vacation for me. The off season does have lots of OT: posts, and I admit I have been guilty of a few myself. It is difficult to speculate as to who the first stringer players might be at all positions. The excitement is easily heightened when we think of the proven playmakers that should keep us in every game (including OSU in the shoe).

I am highly confident in our secondary even without Reid. We have athleticism and depth across the board. As long as we can stay healthy at LB, this could be a top 25 defense.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion

My breakout player is....wait for it.....KOA FARMER. I'm just thinking he's going to be a beast this year.
It looked like the light was starting to turn on for him the last few games last season.

My breakout player is....wait for it.....KOA FARMER. I'm just thinking he's going to be a beast this year.
It looked like the light was starting to turn on for him the last few games last season.
He certainly put on the weight...I like him and Cam as playmakers out there. Hopefully the LB's fair a little bit better this year than last in terms of injuries.

Agree. Nothing could help this team more IMO than defensive improvements against the pass.

Not sure who gets the nod at the safety opposite Allen -- have heard good things about both Nick Scott and Monroe. Maybe both get significant playing time? We've had good tacklers in the secondary, but need a ballhawk (or two). A team leader in Interceptions? Maybe Lamont Wade?

The guy who surprised me the most in the spring game was T.J. Johnson.
Not sure if he stays at CB or goes to FS in the future.

This year -- not that they're lacking anything athletically -- but this year has got to be the most experience I've ever seen in a PSU secondary. Scott, Campbell, Allen, Apke and Haley have been playing -- and playing a LOT -- for four years, and Oruwariye almost as much. Mix in some of the younger guys, Wade and maybe Garrett Taylor who are very smart players. And John Reid will be like an assistant secondary coach out there helping them spot tendencies and getting them aligned.

They will give up some plays but they won't give up anything easy, they won't be fooled by anything.

The big unknown is whether the team can get a better pass rush than last year against good O-lines. If the young DEs can deliver, then the secondary will definitely get some picks this year.

INTs are one of the few things that was missing last year. You know they're working on it. If they can get well timed picks, some of the nailbiter games won't be nailbiters this year. Those third quarter picks that turn a 10 point game into a 17 point game are the kind of thing that takes the starch out of the opposition and ends a game a lot sooner. And that in turn allows the coaches to rotate in young players earlier and get them experience. I expect we'll be seeing more of all of this.

I'm just glad we get to see Allen and Haley playing together for one more season. Those two are going to making play after play just like last year. Enjoy it while you can.

I like the second string a lot too. Cam Brown didn't get his redshirt year but he did get meaningful experience. So glad they have Brandon Smith in the rotation -- he makes plays every time he in the game. And there have been lots of positive coach comments about Cooper -- if he can stay healthy we'll see what he can do.

Reactions: BBrown
I'm excited to see our DLine in action. Looks like T. Brown, Cothren, Cothran, and Miller will start. But we have some experienced depth in Givens, Chavis, Windsor and Buchholz and RS Frosh Simmons, Jordan, Shelton, and Toney (if he remains at DE) add potential and athleticism to the mix. Coach Chaos should have some fun this year with this group.

I think the surprise walk-on this year is Colin Castagna.

Every time I've watched him, he 's driving people backwards and in on the plays.

He has a freakish physique, so I'm always a little surprised he isn't mentioned more.

Reactions: We Are . . .
I think the surprise walk-on this year is Colin Castagna.

Every time I've watched him, he 's driving people backwards and in on the plays.

He has a freakish physique, so I'm always a little surprised he isn't mentioned more.
Isn't he on scholarship now ?

Tj Johnson. Kid is a baller and I would not be surprised to see him play a bigger role. Kid was all over the field in the BW game

Tj Johnson. Kid is a baller and I would not be surprised to see him play a bigger role. Kid was all over the field in the BW game

Yep, and he has great size for a DB. Something we have been missing, other that Allen....

The competition for the open Safety starting spot, Apke, Monroe, and Scott, is a great problem to have. Apke obviously has the most game experience. But I'm betting that Monroe of Scott will be on the field starting, if not in game 1, than by mid season. They both look like superior athletes and playmakers......

Just so much more depth than what PSU has had in the past in the secondary..... And with only Wade likely to play this year (of the true frosh DB's) we will get a great injection of DB talent into the fray going into 2018.....

Love it.

I maintain Simmons will be the breakout on D. sack artist! But I also have said I think Monroe ends up a starter by the middle of the season. Wade should really impress in year one of only 3 he'll be here.

I maintain Simmons will be the breakout on D. sack artist! But I also have said I think Monroe ends up a starter by the middle of the season. Wade should really impress in year one of only 3 he'll be here.

I have hopes for Simmons, but he got stonewalled in the B/W game which dampened my enthusiasm.....

I have hopes for Simmons, but he got stonewalled in the B/W game which dampened my enthusiasm.....
I'm better when it's breathing...
hqdefault.jpg

Let's see what happens when he's encouraged to go hit the qb as hard as he can

Speaking of surprise players, I just saw a photo of the updated d-line record board in the weight room and Emmanuel Iyke ran a 4.60 forty this winter at a listed roster size of 6'2 280lbs.

Holy $hit. The former marine ran a faster 40 than Aaron Donald at the combine (4.68) at a similar size.

He's already 25, and who knows if he'll make an impact here, but his size/speed ratio is elite.

Reactions: bmw199 and BBrown
I am highly confident in our secondary even without Reid. We have athleticism and depth across the board. As long as we can stay healthy at LB, this could be a top 25 defense.

Stay healthy at LB? How did that work last year? There are always injuries.

Joe recruited great at a lot of positions but DB often wasn't one of them. We've definitely seen an improvement there in the last few classes. This fall looks pretty good with the return of M. Allen but it's going to be difficult to replace Reid. He was really good. Tow kids I'm interested in seeing are Taylor and Wade. Taylor was highly rated but we haven't seen him yet. I normally don't expect much from true freshmen but Wade was a 5* recruit.

At DE it sounds like Brown, Buchholz, & Miller. Simmons was rated very high but we didn't hear much about him in the spring. It will also be interesting to see of Toney gets some PT. I'm surprised he hasn't moved to LB.

Last year was a bit extreme. Injuries will occur, but when your 4th string walk on MLB blows out a knee in week 5...not your typical situation.

The real problem was they did not even have TWO full strings of true LBs on scholarship. THey also had some of the starters listed at 2nd string. That does not work. YOu can't just juggle the positions and act like we have depth when the same players are listed at multiple positions on the depth chart. PSU is not much deeper this year.

A couple injuries at LB which is NOT extreme and PSU could have real problems.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT