ADVERTISEMENT

The Dallas Cowboys is the world's most valuable sports team at $5B. Here is the top five and more.

BobPSU92

May 6, 2015
See the links below. From the CNN article:

"(CNN) -- The Dallas Cowboys is the most valuable sports team in the world according to Forbes, worth a staggering $5 billion.

It's the fourth consecutive year that the NFL outfit has topped the rankings, this year fending off competition from teams from the worlds of baseball, basketball and European soccer.

Owned by businessman Jerry Jones, the defending NFC East champions generate twice as much sponsorship and seating revenue at its AT&T Stadium than any other team.

Major League Baseball (MLB) outfit New York Yankees jumped up from fifth last year to second, with its value coming in at $4.6 billion -- an annual increase of 15%."

Also,

"Forbes' valuations suggest the NFL is the most powerful sports league in the world, accounting for more than half of the current top 50. This is due to rocketing broadcast contracts that cannot be compared to with other sports."

And,

"And with revenue growing faster than player salaries, franchises are more profitable than they have ever been."

And,

"Incredibly, every NFL, NBA and MLB franchise is now worth at least $1 billion."

Forbes' five most value sports teams for 2019:

1. Dallas Cowboys (football): $5B
2. New York Yankees (baseball): $4.6B
3. Real Madrid (soccer): $4.2B
4. Barcelona (soccer): $4.02B
5. New York Knicks (basketball): $4B

CNN article: https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/22/spor...allas-cowboys-real-madrid-spt-intl/index.html

Forbes' Top 50: https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtba...most-valuable-sports-teams-2019/#187cf142283d

I don't follow team values so closely, but I thought Manchester United would have been in the top five. They are close at sixth on the Forbes list ($3.81B).

A few points:

• Dick Jacobs bought the CLE Indians for $145m in 1990. He complained he was losing $1m a year and then sold them for $320m in 1999. So in nine years he made $175m and lost $9m. Dolan bought them for $320 and is complaining about losing money. Today, they are worth $1.2B. And, both guys will pay less in taxes than we will if we make $150,000 per year. This is what rich people teach their kids: Assets are worth far more than income.
  • Years ago, Lamar Hunt was asked about his son Clark. Clark was worth $100m. Lamar was asked if he was concerned about his son losing $1m a year on the KC Chiefs. Lamar's answer was "yes...in 100 years, he will be broke).
  • One of the early free agents was asked if he felt bad that he signed a $17m contract to play for the NY Yankees (that other people don't make any where near that much'). His response was "I used to....and then I realized somebody else had enough money to pay it."

A few points:

• Dick Jacobs bought the CLE Indians for $145m in 1990. He complained he was losing $1m a year and then sold them for $320m in 1999. So in nine years he made $175m and lost $9m. Dolan bought them for $320 and is complaining about losing money. Today, they are worth $1.2B. And, both guys will pay less in taxes than we will if we make $150,000 per year. This is what rich people teach their kids: Assets are worth far more than income.
  • Years ago, Lamar Hunt was asked about his son Clark. Clark was worth $100m. Lamar was asked if he was concerned about his son losing $1m a year on the KC Chiefs. Lamar's answer was "yes...in 100 years, he will be broke).
  • One of the early free agents was asked if he felt bad that he signed a $17m contract to play for the NY Yankees (that other people don't make any where near that much'). His response was "I used to....and then I realized somebody else had enough money to pay it."
Yeah, some amazing appreciation over the last few decades.

The example of the New York Yankees is stunning. CBS bought them in 1964 for $11.2 Million, and the value actually declined until a group led by George Steinbrenner bought them in 1973 for $8.7 Million. George had the good sense to buy out the other investors over the next several years.

$8.7 Million to an estimated $4.6 Billion from 1973 to present. Wow.

A few points:

That quote was made by H.L.Hunt about Lamar losing money on the franchise and the number of years was 250.

The Dallas Cowboys is the most valuable sports team in the world according to Forbes, worth a staggering $5 billion

Cowboys "is"?

hidinghomer.gif

The Dallas Cowboys is the most valuable sports team in the world according to Forbes, worth a staggering $5 billion

Cowboys "is"?

hidinghomer.gif

That’s how it read in the CNN article. Sort of like the difference between how Americans and the Brits refer to teams.

American: Liverpool is playing very well.

Brit: Liverpool are playing very well.

The Los Angeles Lakers are on a road trip.
The Los Angeles Lakers is on a road trip.

The Utah Jazz are hosting the Lakers tonight.
The Utah Jazz is hosting the Lakers tonight.

Meh - not working for me.

I hate English.

Why not? The franchise is singular. When referring to the team and its players, plural is proper.

Cowboys "is"?

hidinghomer.gif

Yes. When referring to the franchise, the Dallas Cowboys is a singular collective noun. Such nouns take a singular verb. The following example might make more sense to you:

1. Pink Floyd is appearing in concert tonight. You would likely never say "are appearing," ... even though there are multiple persons comprising the band Pink Floyd. You understand that the group is appearing as a whole in concert.

2. The Beach Boys is appearing in concert tonight. Your initial impulse would be to use "are appearing" even though the sentence is referring to a singular band, just as sentence 1 was.

Only when collective nouns clearly stipulate individuals within the group acting separately do they require plural verbs. The Beach Boys are making individual appearances at five studios in Los Angeles tonight.

Definitely sounds wrong, but I get the "is" when referring to the franchise as a whole.

Yeah, some amazing appreciation over the last few decades.

The example of the New York Yankees is stunning. CBS bought them in 1964 for $11.2 Million, and the value actually declined until a group led by George Steinbrenner bought them in 1973 for $8.7 Million. George had the good sense to buy out the other investors over the next several years.

$8.7 Million to an estimated $4.6 Billion from 1973 to present. Wow.
And George happened to die during a year the inheritance tax had lapsed - otherwise the heirs would need to sell the team.

"(CNN) -- The Dallas Cowboys is the most valuable sports team in the world according to Forbes, worth a staggering $5 billion.

It's the fourth consecutive year that the NFL outfit has topped the rankings, this year fending off competition from teams from the worlds of baseball, basketball and European soccer.

Owned by businessman Jerry Jones, the defending NFC East champions generate twice as much sponsorship and seating revenue at its AT&T Stadium than any other team.

Major League Baseball (MLB) outfit New York Yankees jumped up from fifth last year to second, with its value coming in at $4.6 billion -- an annual increase of 15%."

Also,

"Forbes' valuations suggest the NFL is the most powerful sports league in the world, accounting for more than half of the current top 50. This is due to rocketing broadcast contracts that cannot be compared to with other sports."

And,

"And with revenue growing faster than player salaries, franchises are more profitable than they have ever been."

And,

"Incredibly, every NFL, NBA and MLB franchise is now worth at least $1 billion."

CNN article: https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/22/spor...allas-cowboys-real-madrid-spt-intl/index.html

Forbes' Top 50: https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtba...most-valuable-sports-teams-2019/#187cf142283d

I don't follow team values so closely, but I thought Manchester United would have been in the top five. They are close at sixth on the Forbes list ($3.81B).
Man Utd fell from #2 to #6. That big drop was the result of a tough stretch of years of results on the pitch. The Glazers are doing ok, though. If memory serves, they led an LBO for about $2 billion in 2006. That’s a hefty appreciation for 12 years and the club is probably worth closer to its 2017 value of $4 billion plus.

Also,

And,

And,

As a New Yorker ( only NY team I’m a fan of are the Giants and Yankees) it is absolutely incredible to see that the NY Knicks continue to be not only #5 in total value among sports franchises but #1 in all of basketball.

And AssClowns run the organization... they can’t win...can’t draft.. can’t coach...are always among the worst teams YOY and...are led by a Team Owner thatbis a total embarrassment to the organization...

Yet here they are...#5 at $4 billion +... wow...

It's all about TV money.

20+ years ago, only a small portion of team revenues came from TV and that TV portion was measured in millions per year for the major leagues. That's why you saw teams valued at around $100 million each in the 3 major leagues.

Now, the leagues take in multiple billions a year in TV money. So you have to value the teams in the billions because every team gets in the neighborhood of $100+ million in TV money each year.

Same thing that's happened in college sports. TV money exploded, and that's why you have most of the Power 5 bringing in $100+ million revenue each year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT