The Catholic Priesthood

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
The thing is, I think both you guys made some good points on the substance of the issue.

As a Catholic, I have some pretty huge issues myself with the bureaucracy of the Church. In fact, most of the Church's problems, and the roots of the historic crisis that She has been experiencing in recent decades, come from being led by bureaucrats rather than shepherds.

These people, to include the head guy in Rome, have greatly departed from the admonitions of Jesus to the first bishops of the Church 2,000 years ago. In fact, if He came back today, a lot of them would be in the mob demanding another crucifixion.
I'm not arguing over dogma or trying to convince anyone to believe any certain way. But yeah, I'd reading True Believer by Eric Hoffer.

Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket.”​

Eric Hoffer this applies to universities and religion too. Few grasp this .

Andrew Lloyd Weber's take on the Gospel:

Jerry

May 29, 2001
I'm not arguing over dogma or trying to convince anyone to believe any certain way. But yeah, I'd reading True Believer by Eric Hoffer.

Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket.”​

Eric Hoffer this applies to universities and religion too. Few grasp this .

Andrew Lloyd Weber's take on the Gospel:

My all-time favorite flick in the religion genre is Passion of the Christ.

This is one of the great movies of all time, but true to form, the Ruling Class reviewers of that day poured scorn on it.

Some things never change:

Reactions: bourbon n blues

TFBaum

Jan 22, 2020
My all-time favorite flick in the religion genre is Passion of the Christ.

This is one of the great movies of all time, but true to form, the Ruling Class reviewers of that day poured scorn on it.

Some things never change:

Jerry in an earlier post the conversation regarding a good person/good deeds was discussed. I remember one of the first essays we had to write at Portsmouth Abbey was the discussion of do only Catholics go to heaven? As one of the few non Catholics at the school I was stressed out. I was 13. I had a very nice Priest Father Omar see that I was stressed out, and he gave me a great moment of comfort, don’t worry about which religious group you belong to worry about the impact you make on people’s lives.

Jerry

May 29, 2001
Jerry in an earlier post the conversation regarding a good person/good deeds was discussed. I remember one of the first essays we had to write at Portsmouth Abbey was the discussion of do only Catholics go to heaven? As one of the few non Catholics at the school I was stressed out. I was 13. I had a very nice Priest Father Omar see that I was stressed out, and he gave me a great moment of comfort, don’t worry about which religious group you belong to worry about the impact you make on people’s lives.

TF, it seems like we twist ourselves into pretzels trying to shoe-horn things into neat formulas.

I was taught as a child that there's no salvation outside the Church. However: when I was a child, I thought as a child, spoke as a child...but when I became a man, I put away childish things (1 Cor 13:11).

A grown-up may validly believe there's no salvation outside the Church but also understands that the definition of "Church" is broad.

Recall Luke's nativity scene where the angels proclaim glory to God and peace to those of good will. "Those of good will." Not adherents of any particular religion but rather every good person.

I think that means people of good will, regardless of religion (or lack thereof), belong de facto to the Church, and therefore the door to salvation is open to them...if they choose to knock on it.

KnightWhoSaysNit

Jul 19, 2010
TF, it seems like we twist ourselves into pretzels trying to shoe-horn things into neat formulas.

I was taught as a child that there's no salvation outside the Church. However: when I was a child, I thought as a child, spoke as a child...but when I became a man, I put away childish things (1 Cor 13:11).

A grown-up may validly believe there's no salvation outside the Church but also understands that the definition of "Church" is broad.

Recall Luke's nativity scene where the angels proclaim glory to God and peace to those of good will. "Those of good will." Not adherents of any particular religion but rather every good person.

I think that means people of good will, regardless of religion (or lack thereof), belong de facto to the Church, and therefore the door to salvation is open to them...if they choose to knock on it.

And Jesus lives within, whether you realize it or not, whether you deny it (by "sin") or not. Can't remember how it is worded exactly, or where, but it goes something like this " ... if you did it to the least of my brothers, you did it to me."

TFBaum

Jan 22, 2020

Jerry I think we are more on the same page. The path to Grace and love as I was taught was based upon the right thing. As men that served in the military that standard of honesty served all of us well.

Reactions: Jerry