ADVERTISEMENT

The best to never win the Hodge...

smealpsu2005

May 8, 2003
Are our boys Ruth and Nolf the best wrestlers to never win the Hodge? I can think of Snyder, perhaps Cox too. Anyone else?

2020 Spencer Lee Iowa
2019 Bo Nickal Penn State
2018 Zain Retherford Penn State
2017 Zain Retherford Penn State
2016 Alex Dieringer Oklahoma State
2015 Logan Stieber Ohio State
2014 David Taylor Penn State
2013 Kyle Dake Cornell U.
2012 David Taylor Penn State
2011 Jordan Burroughs Nebraska
2010 Jayson Ness Minnesota
2009 Jake Herbert Northwestern
2008 Brent Metcalf Iowa
2007 Ben Askren Missouri
2006 Ben Askren Missouri
2005 Steve Mocco Oklahoma State
2004 Emmett Willson Mont. State-Northern
2003 Eric Larkin Arizona State
2002 Cael Sanderson Iowa State
2001 Cael Sanderson Iowa State
& Nick Ackerman Simpson College
2000 Cael Sanderson Iowa State
1999 Stephen Neal CSU Bakersfield
1998 Mark Ironside Iowa
1997 Kerry McCoy Penn State
1996 Les Gutches Oregon State
1995 T.J. Jaworsky North Carolina

Are our boys Ruth and Nolf the best wrestlers to never win the Hodge? I can think of Snyder, perhaps Cox too. Anyone else?

2020 Spencer Lee Iowa
2019 Bo Nickal Penn State
2018 Zain Retherford Penn State
2017 Zain Retherford Penn State
2016 Alex Dieringer Oklahoma State
2015 Logan Stieber Ohio State
2014 David Taylor Penn State
2013 Kyle Dake Cornell U.
2012 David Taylor Penn State
2011 Jordan Burroughs Nebraska
2010 Jayson Ness Minnesota
2009 Jake Herbert Northwestern
2008 Brent Metcalf Iowa
2007 Ben Askren Missouri
2006 Ben Askren Missouri
2005 Steve Mocco Oklahoma State
2004 Emmett Willson Mont. State-Northern
2003 Eric Larkin Arizona State
2002 Cael Sanderson Iowa State
2001 Cael Sanderson Iowa State
& Nick Ackerman Simpson College
2000 Cael Sanderson Iowa State
1999 Stephen Neal CSU Bakersfield
1998 Mark Ironside Iowa
1997 Kerry McCoy Penn State
1996 Les Gutches Oregon State
1995 T.J. Jaworsky North Carolina
An undefeated Bo was runner-up to Zain in 2018, I believe Ruth was undefeated in 2012 & 2013, Jason Nolf was undefeated in 2017 & 2019. all were worthy of the Hodge but lost out to a teammate, except for Dake getting it in 2013. I'm sure are guys were leaders in bonus point wins also.

I know they have the Past Credentials factor (Ringer was 3peating and Zain was a sophomore who had the 5th finish) but man, Zain had an advantage in the two key Hodge Criteria (Pins/Dominance) in 2016:

Pins: Zain had 16 Pins to 12
Dominance: Zain had a 88% Bonus to 82%, Zain had 8 TFs to 7

They were both undefeated with 30+ wins, Quality of Competition is hard to compare but it's a wash anyways IMO, Heart/Sportsmanship, both Ringer/Zain are better people than wrestlers. I know he would go on to win the next 2 but to be a 3 Timer with Cael.

I know they have the Past Credentials factor (Ringer was 3peating and Zain was a sophomore who had the 5th finish) but man, Zain had an advantage in the two key Hodge Criteria (Pins/Dominance) in 2016:

Pins: Zain had 16 Pins to 12
Dominance: Zain had a 88% Bonus to 82%, Zain had 8 TFs to 7

They were both undefeated with 30+ wins, Quality of Competition is hard to compare but it's a wash anyways IMO, Heart/Sportsmanship, both Ringer/Zain are better people than wrestlers. I know he would go on to win the next 2 but to be a 3 Timer with Cael.
Quality of Competition wasn't that hard to compare, or a wash:
Zain vs. All-Americans: 10-0, 4.6 pts/match (Most Dominant pts)
Ringer vs. AAs: 4-0, 3.5 pts/match

Quality of Competition wasn't that hard to compare, or a wash:
Zain vs. All-Americans: 10-0, 4.6 pts/match (Most Dominant pts)
Ringer vs. AAs: 4-0, 3.5 pts/match

Good find Jefe, hadnt seen that stat before.
Would have been a shame to see Ringer shut out,but 3 timer Nolf getting shut out is a much bigger travesty than a Hodge-less 3xer Ringer IMO.
The stats dont lie, but the voters do.This was Zains just as much as his other 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: danoftw
I don't know why Ed Ruth doesn't get as much love on this board as he should. He was a different cat but every bit Taylor's equal while together and just as special as Nolf.

In my opinion, a lot of people mistook his demeanor and ease of domination on the mat as evidence that he got by on pure physical talent alone, and therefore a lesser wrestler than those that appear to be running at full throttle the entire match.

It is also my opinion that those people are full of crap. You want to know why Ruth made it look easy? Because he busted his ass working hard in training and practice, that’s why.

In my opinion, a lot of people mistook his demeanor and ease of domination on the mat as evidence that he got by on pure physical talent alone, and therefore a lesser wrestler than those that appear to be running at full throttle the entire match.

It is also my opinion that those people are full of crap. You want to know why Ruth made it look easy? Because he busted his ass working hard in training and practice, that’s why.
I remember a discussion with the coaches, mid-redshirt-season 2010, that went something like, paraphrased, 'wait till you see Ruth wrestle next year, he's really, really, REALLY special', said in a way that suggested to me he was even better than, or at least well-deserving of his #5 recruiting ranking (top-5 were DT, Grajales, C. Perry, Dake, and ER). Looking back, it's my thought that many PSU fans were tunnel-visioned at the time, latching on to the aura that DT's national renown brought to the program, and the coach in question was trying to broaden fans knowledge of the talent in the room at the time. DT was deserving of the high expectations, as was ER (though expectation from the fan base mostly weren't as high). For those that were listening, in the end, they turned out to be, arguably, the greatest tandem to wrestle for the same team, all four years, in history. Ed was unique, but when has an "easy" disposition or laid-back demeanor and temperament ever meant anything when it comes to results-based facts. He's among my favorites all-time, for reasons beyond what I'll state here, and has to be top-couple of those talents never to win the Hodge.

I remember a discussion with the coaches, mid-redshirt-season 2010, that went something like, paraphrased, 'wait till you see Ruth wrestle next year, he's really, really, REALLY special', said in a way that suggested to me he was even better than, or at least well-deserving of his #5 recruiting ranking (top-5 were DT, Grajales, C. Perry, Dake, and ER). Looking back, it's my thought that many PSU fans were tunnel-visioned at the time, latching on to the aura that DT's national renown brought to the program, and the coach in question was trying to broaden fans knowledge of the talent in the room at the time. DT was deserving of the high expectations, as was ER (though expectation from the fan base mostly weren't as high). For those that were listening, in the end, they turned out to be, arguably, the greatest tandem to wrestle for the same team, all four years, in history. Ed was unique, but when has an "easy" disposition or laid-back demeanor and temperament ever meant anything when it comes to results-based facts. He's among my favorites all-time, for reasons beyond what I'll state here, and has to be top-couple of those talents never to win the Hodge.
until Nolf and Nickal :)

Reactions: matter7172
For Pittsburgh people this seems eerily similar to Crosby/Malkin. Crosby is the face, Malkin may score more goals.

I don't know why Ed Ruth doesn't get as much love on this board as he should. He was a different cat but every bit Taylor's equal while together and just as special as Nolf.

Agree, think Ed Ruth is the best to never win the Hodge. I consider him pound-for-pound the best Penn State wrestler ever during his RS Sophomore season. He dominated that season like few ever have, majored a undefeated wrestler in the NCAA finals and wasn't even breathing heavy in the post match interview.

Reactions: nitlion6
Agree, think Ed Ruth is the best to never win the Hodge. I consider him pound-for-pound the best Penn State wrestler ever during his RS Sophomore season. He dominated that season like few ever have, majored a undefeated wrestler in the NCAA finals and wasn't even breathing heavy in the post match interview.
The same wrestler that handed Ed one of his three collegiate losses the year prior, albeit by injury default.

Reactions: Flying_Tiger
The same wrestler that handed Ed one of his three collegiate losses the year prior, albeit by injury default.

Yes, many were worried about the final against Much because of the result in the Philly quarter finals. They all seemed to forget that Ed was handling Much easily before he got hurt.

Royboy & Flying Tiger I'm calling you out. :D

Yes, many were worried about the final against Much ... :D
They had their undies in a munch. They be like:

The_Scream.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT