ADVERTISEMENT

The B1G needs a change and the stiff that runs it agrees

I actually like the idea of eliminating the divisions. The Big 12 takes the two best teams from the conference and has them play in the championship game. Set it up so the scheduling rotates around just like it did when the conference had 11 teams and only played 8 conference games. Yes, there will be some years where we might not play a Michigan or an Ohio State but I’m fine with that. The ACC needs to do this too as it was a joke that a terrible Pitt team played Clemson in the ACC championship just because they won the tradionally “weak” ACC division.

As for reducing the schedule to less than 9 conference games, I’m completely against it. If that were to happen, Penn State would add another cupcake to the schedule and we’d end up with another “over by halftime” home game that season ticket holders would be expected to pay $60 to attend.
This works for the Big 12 because they only have 10 teams. I don't think you can eliminate divisions and fairly rank all 14 teams when the schedules would be so unbalanced. Decent teams that are fortunate enough to not play other highly ranked teams would be at an even bigger advantage than they are today. At least now all teams in each division play each other.

I've always been of the opinion that if you let someone continually jam something up your ass, you either deserve it or like it.
The typical perspective of the one that's not bent over.

But you're probably right there's something about the one being jammed and, if desired, some responsibility to bring any desired change in the experience.

They need to split the divisions up in a more sensible manner, and if that means that The Game isnt played every once in awhile, so be it. Michigan and tOSU fans might not believe this, but most people outside of Ohio and Michigan won’t care.
They are so awesome, the game will be played in the championship every year

Put five numbered slips in a hat. Teams drawing 4-5 play in. Go forward from there.
Who's hat is it and who is picking the slips? Are they putting a certain slip in the freezer before hand for a desired matchup? I can hear it now. :rolleyes:

This works for the Big 12 because they only have 10 teams. I don't think you can eliminate divisions and fairly rank all 14 teams when the schedules would be so unbalanced. Decent teams that are fortunate enough to not play other highly ranked teams would be at an even bigger advantage than they are today. At least now all teams in each division play each other.

There is no “ranking”, the conference records of the 14 teams is what determines the top two teams. This year it would have been a replay of the Mich/OSU game as I think most people would agree that those were the best 2 teams in the conference this year.

Reactions: PrtLng Lion
Flipping Purdue and PSU would better balance the divisions and also puts rivals Purdue/Indiana in the same division

I like divisions and championship game. It works for the NFL and most every sport. Keep it.

You crybabies may regret a change when the B1G gives you a Michigan - OSU rematch almost every year....

I like divisions and championship game. It works for the NFL and most every sport. Keep it.

You crybabies may regret a change when the B1G gives you a Michigan - OSU rematch almost every year....

It would have happened this year. And before that it would have happened in 2006. People need to accept reality. The game isn’t that important outside of the osu and um locker rooms and is rarely a matchup of the conferences two best teams.

Reactions: Howie'81
It would have happened this year. And before that it would have happened in 2006. People need to accept reality. The game isn’t that important outside of the osu and um locker rooms and is rarely a matchup of the conferences two best teams.

The several years pre-Harbaugh were one of the worst stretches Michigan has had in years. I wouldn't count on that continuing.

There is no “ranking”, the conference records of the 14 teams is what determines the top two teams. This year it would have been a replay of the Mich/OSU game as I think most people would agree that those were the best 2 teams in the conference this year.
By ranking I meant their ranks in order of conference W-L record, not a voted upon ranking like the polls. I assumed that was obvious. The fact remains that with no divisions and no round robin schedule the final standings still may not be a representation of the 2 best teams, because teams that manage to skip playing tougher opponents will have an easier path the to top of the standings. Suppose both of the top 2 didn't play PSU, UM, OSU, Wisconsin, etc., while those 4 teams beat each other up and all have 2 losses. Then your conference winner is unlikely to be the best team in the conference. The model the Big 12 uses works because they have 10 teams which enables them to play a round robin schedule.

Flipping Purdue and PSU would better balance the divisions and also puts rivals Purdue/Indiana in the same division
If Nebraska regains its former glory or some semblance of it, then that would make sense. Long-term you should either scrap divisions or have 2 of Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan and Nebraska in each division. The current setup is ridiculous, putting 3 Blue Bloods that are all strong in one division and having one that is currently way down in the other division. Outside of the big 4, Michigan State and Wisconsin are the 2 that have had the most recent success. So the East has 4 of the expected top 6 programs. Actually looking on a map right now the division that would make sense geographically and competitively would be: North - Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, Iowa and Nebraska; South - Penn State, Ohio State, Maryland, Rutgers, Purdue, Indiana and Illinois.

Agree. This year it's hard to make a case that any Big Ten team belongs in the playoff. I think Delany is getting grief from ADS and presidents and this is a knee-jerk reaction. I rue the day that they unveil their Rube Goldbergian solution.

University leaders collaborating. What could go wrong?

The divisions are not the problem. The problem is the 4 team playoff. Realign to 8 conferences. Eight conference CHAMPIONS make it to the 8 team playoff. No wild cards, no at large. Win or you're out. Winners only.

Problem solved. Somebody needs to make it happen.
THERE"S LOTS OF MONEY TO BE MADE!!!
Yeah, it's not rocket surgery.......or is that brain science?

giphy.gif

The several years pre-Harbaugh were one of the worst stretches Michigan has had in years. I wouldn't count on that continuing.
Why should it change? Harbaugh's record isn't stellar. Hell, he hasn't won his own Division given 4 years to do it. No B1G Championship Game. No playoffs. I guess $9 million doesn't buy what it used to, eh?

Reactions: 91Joe95

Why? It wouldn’t have happened until this season under harbaugh.

Since penn state joined the conference um/osu would have met in this theoretical rematch in 5 times in 24 years. The horror.

PSU-OSU rematches would have happened 4 times.

Last edited:
Sixty-five posts here so far and only two have hit it right on the head.

The best change the B1G can make to help its CFP chances is to can Delany. His undermining of the conference champion in 2016 combined with his failures to publicly support the champion in 2017 and 2018 have created this problem.

Frankly, it might also help if the conference had a better representative than OSU. They had no business being there in 2016 as shown on the field against Clemson and in spite of their surprising win versus Michigan this year have no business being in the CFP now. That's not necessarily OSU's fault - the rest of the conference, including our team, must get better and more competitive nationally.

ADVERTISEMENT