- Northwestern: 102
- UMass: 106
- Ohio St: 5
- Indiana: 86
- Maryland: 33
- Michigan: 4
- Rutgers: 78
- Michigan St: 49

OSU must have a great PR Department, because they have no business being #5 just based on their actual performance so far this season.

Penn State Football dropped two spots to 10 overall per The Athletic

Future opponents....
- Illinois: 68
- Iowa: 28
- Northwestern: 102
- UMass: 106
- Ohio St: 5
- Indiana: 86
- Maryland: 33
- Michigan: 4
- Rutgers: 78
- Michigan St: 49

PSU needed to beat UDel by 65 instead of 56

• Haha
Reactions: JR4PSU

That's the thing: let's hypothetically say that PSU was the best team in the country. How would one expect the team to have performed differently the past two weeks if that were the case? I'm certainly not suggesting that they are the "best" team, but at this point they've done exactly what any top team would do. We'll just see what happens against better teams as the schedule unfolds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
It's more about what other teams did
Though OSU has been very disappointing. Not sure if they were 5 or if they dropped at all but when Texas beats Bama they're going to jump us for example

These power rankings are worthless now, at mid season, and before the last game of the season. Why fret about or even pay attention to these rankings?

All that we should care about is beating BOTH OSU and UM. If we do, we'll be probably be power ranked in the top 3. Then....it will be meaningful.

OSU must have a great PR Department, because they have no business being #5 just based on their actual performance so far this season.
I hear you, but as an explanation, I’m sure they’re looking at the roster which I think is #2 in number of four and five star recruits on it. Until they lose, the voters are giving them the ranking based on how they’ve recruited.

Last edited:
No. of 4 and 5 Star recruits on 2023 roster:

74 Alabama
73 Ohio St
65 Georgia
57 Notre Dame
56 Texas
56 Clemson
53 Oregon
52 Texas A&M
51 Oklahoma
49 Penn State
47 Michigan
46 Miami
45 USC
44 Florida
42 LSU
35 Auburn
35 Tennessee
32 UNC
30 Kentucky

Last post on this… much has been made about CJF’s record vs top 10 ranked schools. Of course, if you are the 10th best school every year, statistically speaking, you should be 0-for against top 10 schools. I thought it was interesting that the above roster analysis put PSU at #10. I’m generally satisfied with a top 10 national ranking, but acknowledge and understand not everyone is.

Last edited:
No. of 4 and 5 Star recruits on 2023 roster:

74 Alabama
73 Ohio St
65 Georgia
57 Notre Dame
56 Texas
56 Clemson
53 Oregon
52 Texas A&M
51 Oklahoma
49 Penn State
47 Michigan
46 Miami
45 USC
44 Florida
42 LSU
35 Auburn
35 Tennessee
32 UNC
30 Kentucky

The one that stands out to me is Alabama's 18 five stars on their roster. That's just staggering. Compare that figure to Georgia's 13 and OSU's 10 five stars. In fact, OSU's 10 five stars is more than the rest of the B1G combined total of 7.

Last edited:
Last post on this… much has been made about CJF’s record vs top 10 ranked schools. Of course, if you are the 10th best school every year, statistically speaking, you should be 0-for against top 10 schools. I thought it was interesting that the above roster analysis put PSU at #10. I’m generally satisfied with a top 10 national ranking, but acknowledge and understand not everyone is.
Statistically speaking, you shouldn’t be 0-fer, unless you believe the chances of winning each game against a better team are actually zero.

You could be an underdog all 10 times and still be expected to win 2-3 games.

Reactions: bdgan
PSU has finished top 10 one of the last 3 years. So if you're below 10 some years you have to be higher other years.

Will, no…”should”, yes.

If you have a 25% chance of winning each of 10 games, you should win 2-3 of them.
I don’t want to get in a big mathematical argument here, but playing football against teams that are better than you is not the same as rolling a 10-sided die 10x and observing the outcomes.

Reactions: LandoComando
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT