ADVERTISEMENT

The ACC would welcome Penn State with open arms.....

Again, this was a *politically correct* hire...not a correct hire, a *politically correct* hire in the wake of George Floyd's passing. So, the B1G presidents all tried to appease a certain segment of our society with this terrible hire. Sometimes I guess there is a place for political correctness, but they hired someone that is not up to the job of running such a large organization like the B1G.
So which rich white guy should they have hired?

I’m with ParkAvenueSoccer. We should play anyway. If Kevin Warren follows through and kicks us out of the B1G, then we join the ACC.

Warren won't kick anyone out of the Big Ten. He doesn't have that authority. He'll just make their existence in the conference miserable for, like, forever. Don't get mad, get even.

PSU has more in common with Iowa than UNC????? So many more people in NC from PA than Iowa, Minn, Wisc, Neb, Ind combined. So come on down boys. PSU playing VTech, UNC, Clemson , FSU and the U yes great fit. And Old foes Pitt 'Cuse and BC heck I do think that PSu and NC St had some good games back in the day. Yes awesome fit
PSU dwarfs the schools you mentioned in student population etc. PSU is a large state school similar to OSU or Iowa certainly not Pitt or UVa. That’s what I meant by more in common.

A very enlightening read here about new B1G commissioner Kevin Warren:
https://www.rollbamaroll.com/2020/8/13/21366523/is-kevin-warren-a-liar-or-merely-a-fool

and here is another one questioning whether Warren even should have been hired as the B1G commissioner:
https://saturdaytradition.com/big-t...evin-warren-the-right-person-to-lead-the-b1g/

There are dozens of articles about Warren being a weak "leader." He's clearly in over his head, miscalculated how much push back he was going to get. And please don't listen to the LIE that there will be Spring football in the B1G in 2021. It will never happen, can you even picture players playing in -60 degree wind chill weather?!? And supposedly they (B1G) cares about the players health?!? There will never, ever be Spring football in the B1G for a few zillion reasons. Many of which are covered in the first link above.

Again, this was a *politically correct* hire...not a correct hire, a *politically correct* hire in the wake of George Floyd's passing. So, the B1G presidents all tried to appease a certain segment of our society with this terrible hire. Sometimes I guess there is a place for political correctness, but they hired someone that is not up to the job of running such a large organization like the B1G.
Kevin Warren was appointed on 6/4/19.

PSU dwarfs the schools you mentioned in student population etc. PSU is a large state school similar to OSU or Iowa certainly not Pitt or UVa. That’s what I meant by more in common.

Penn State 46K
NC State 35K
UNC 30K
VTech 31
Florida St 33K
UVA 22K
Clemson 25K
L'Ville 23K
GTech 34K
Syracuse 23K

Now Duke(16K) , Wake Forest(7500), Pitt(20K), Boston College(14K) Miami(20k) are not big at all. But the schools above enrollment many are growing at +10% the past couple of years.
So these schools are an IUP away from being the same size as PSU. Plus these schools enrollment numbers continue to increase due to population increase in these states. So in 10 years these schools will be as big as PSU enrollment wise. Plus more kids are coming south for school because even as an out of state student its cheaper than going to some in state schools up north. Plus as a guy warm weather and sun dresses so much nicer here

Last edited:
Reactions: NedFromYork
PSU’s existence in the B1G isn’t already miserable?

I dunno. Haven't heard Franklin or Chambers or any player complain about it. Same with Barron and Barbour, but I don't put much stock in what they say.

I know that being in the Big Ten makes a lot of people on this board miserable, but I think they'd be miserable anyway.

Reactions: marshall23
I dunno. Haven't heard Franklin or Chambers or any player complain about it. Same with Barron and Barbour, but I don't put much stock in what they say.

I know that being in the Big Ten makes a lot of people on this board miserable, but I think they'd be miserable anyway.
You think?

Clay Travis rant on the B1G decision to postpone (read cancel) the 2020 football season...at which time they will definitely decide to cancel the season altogether and maybe resume football for the 2021-22 school year:

His main point is he feels that Kevin Warren (and the presidents) all wussed out due to the fear of being sued if any student-athletes got sick with the coronavirus. And he very quickly and eloquently shoots down that idea as it would be impossible for any attorney to prove where the student-athlete in question got sick. Was it during a football game (highly unlikely), did they get the virus in one of their classes, in the library, in their dorm or apartment, in a bar, at a party, and on and on and on. Medical doctors have all said that you are at much lower risk of catching the virus OUTDOORS. And much more at risk of getting the virus INDOORS.

There's pretty much only two choices either the various school presidents and Kevin Warran are complete idiots OR this is all political. It is no secret that the vast majority of academians, such as university presidents are very liberal and most are Democrats. Warren also, a liberal Democrat.....So maybe they just decided to join the Cancel culture in an attempt to affect the election in November. It's like with the Democrat mayors of Chicago, Portland, Seattle, New York City and on and on allowing murder, looting, rioting, burning and destroying public property, killing police officers and so to take place. I have a hunch that if Biden wins that the riots with magically all stop overnight.

Well, there ya go! Clay Travis! That's all I need to know.

Reactions: 81b&w
Trying to get out of the BIG would be like trying to get out of the Mafia. Possible, but at a steep price.

WYr.gif

Reactions: ralphster

Franklin is very highly compensated. Chambers is lucky he has his job. As you said, the other two are not the sharpest knives in rack. And both are like Chambers, lucky to have their jobs in light of their performance and resumes.

Is money still the issue after all this mess? How much is the B1G's contract going to be worth when all the good players and coaches are go to the ACC, SEC and Big 12? PSU is crazy if they don't approach the ACC right now. Other than the money what has the B1G done for PSU? It is clear that Michigan is running the league and making decisions based on politics not science. Frankly it seems like the Michigan president does not even want football. As far as academics go. Duke, UVA, UNC and GT can certainly hold their own with Michigan, Northwestern and PSU and the other schools match up well. While the Carolina schools have had a lot of control in the past that is changing with Clemson's football strength. Finally remember how MSU and Michigan treated PSU after the Sandusky scandal yet their sexual scandal was much worse. After being a PSU fan for years but now living in the Clemson area I believe PSU is is crazy if they don"t leave now. The ACC is your best hope of continuing to recruit decent players.

Is money still the issue after all this mess? How much is the B1G's contract going to be worth when all the good players and coaches are go to the ACC, SEC and Big 12?
Yea, I’m sweating the Villanova game next year now with this inevitable mass exodus.

When is the acc welcoming party for Penn State? Did I miss it?

I’m waiting for Sir Yacht to tell us the date.

If the ACC was interested, now would be the time to get their eggs in order and approach both Penn St and ND.

Notre Dame could have been and would be welcomed at any point In the Big10. Yet they chose the ACC. Some maybe not as obvious as you think.

Notre Dame is still an independent in football; stop with the hocus pocus. Notre Dame was invited to join the Big Ten for all sports several times, but unlike the ACC, the Big Ten wasn’t going to let Notre Dame have it’s cake and eat it too. I am not happy about the Big’s decision to cancel football and other sports, but this knee jerk let’s leave to join the ACC based on one season is nonsense.

Notre Dame could have been and would be welcomed at any point In the Big10. Yet they chose the ACC. Some maybe not as obvious as you think.
Might that be because the ACC was ok with them remaining an independent in football. I don’t know, but I doubt the Big Ten would allow that.
ND’s independence in football has allowed it to play a national schedule, which imo has helped its image overall.

Notre Dame is still an independent in football; stop with the hocus pocus. Notre Dame was invited to join the Big Ten for all sports several times, but unlike the ACC, the Big Ten wasn’t going to let Notre Dame have it’s cake and eat it too. I am not happy about the Big’s decision to cancel football and other sports, but this knee jerk let’s leave to join the ACC based on one season is nonsense.
Exactly. I can't believe how dopey people are. What the ACC did to allow Notre Lame to have their way with them is nothing short of embarrassing. But plenty of board jackasses here won't see or acknowledge that.

You mean like continuing to schedule ND in football and allowing them into the Big10 for hockey? Yeah the Big10 are negotiating geniuses!

Might that be because the ACC was ok with them remaining an independent in football. I don’t know, but I doubt the Big Ten would allow that.
ND’s independence in football has allowed it to play a national schedule, which imo has helped its image overall.

True. The ACC only required they play 6 (IIRC) conference games in football which allowed them more flexibility in national scheduling. However, it also allowed ND to park its other sports in the ACC and have the protection/ safety of a conference.

It was lucky for them they made this agreement earlier or ND football would have been in the same panic as BYU was once everyone started dropping non conference games over the summer.

Recent events might cause ND to take another look about full alignment. They could always use their 4 nonconference games to schedule USC, Navy, and Michigan/ Stanford.

Football - Downgrade/Push at best (maybe better travel)
W. Volleyball - Downgrade
M. Basketball - Push
Wrestling - Downgrade
Hockey - What hockey?
Baseball - Upgrade
Money - Downgrade

Don't see it.

Seems to me your assessments reflect your bias. Football is a clear up grade and Paterno insightfully got PSU into the Big Ten. I really think Notre Dame not re-upping it’s football series was a major reason Joe decided to join the Big. He realized that remaining an independent made PSU’s ability to be a major player in football was dependent on who would schedule them. Wrestling has been a clear upgrade and so has basketball. I don’t know for sure, but I would imagine PSU overall is making more money since it joined the conference.

You mean like continuing to schedule ND in football and allowing them into the Big10 for hockey? Yeah the Big10 are negotiating geniuses!

Oh I agree with you 100% on this. I have no idea why Michigan, MSU and other individual Big Ten teams continue to schedule ND and prop up their schedule after ND said no to joining the Big Ten for all sports. That’s a separate issue from the CONFERENCE properly refusing to let ND join unless it did so for all sports.

Seems to me your assessments reflect your bias. Football is a clear up grade and Paterno insightfully got PSU into the Big Ten. I really think Notre Dame not re-upping it’s football series was a major reason Joe decided to join the Big. He realized that remaining an independent made PSU’s ability to be a major player in football was dependent on who would schedule them. Wrestling has been a clear upgrade and so has basketball. I don’t know for sure, but I would imagine PSU overall is making more money since it joined the conference.

I think you read my post thinking my ‘assessments’ were for staying in the B1G - they were not; they are written as if joining the ACC - so, when I say ‘downgrade’ that is from the B1G to the ACC. Hope that helps.

Who knows what the thinking was 30+ years ago? Might have been interesting to see how things would have played out if Gene Corrigan wasn't, by his own admission, been asleep at the wheel.

Oh I agree with you 100% on this. I have no idea why Michigan, MSU and other individual Big Ten teams continue to schedule ND and prop up their schedule after ND said no to joining the Big Ten for all sports. That’s a separate issue from the CONFERENCE properly refusing to let ND join unless it did so for all sports.

One of the reasons Big Ten schools schedule ND is because Disney and Fox like it.

Si, senor. It's not a question of which conferences would want PSU, all of them would. Rather, it's a matter of what's in it for PSU.
Will Big 10 schools get a payout this year? I assume like any partnership the conference isn’t sitting on a big bank roll. I know UMD and Rutgers do not contribute much but can their AD survive? PSU no doubt will survive.

If the big ten starts up again in October, will the teams that sit out get a conference payout? If Rutgers and Michigan are not going to play then they should receive nothing.

ADVERTISEMENT