ADVERTISEMENT

The 17 Greatest NFL Running Backs of All Time

psulongago

Aug 29, 2001
Saw this article, sorry don't know how to link. Of Course Jim Brown is listed as #1. My comment and question revolves around PSU. Franco Harris was listed as one of the top 17 RB's. No Curt Warner. I thought Warner was a better pro than Harris, Franco had the super bowls and reception. Any other opinions on Warner vs, Harris as a pro?

Saw this article, sorry don't know how to link. Of Course Jim Brown is listed as #1. My comment and question revolves around PSU. Franco Harris was listed as one of the top 17 RB's. No Curt Warner. I thought Warner was a better pro than Harris, Franco had the super bowls and reception. Any other opinions on Warner vs, Harris as a pro?

I loved Curt Warner in college and is still my favorite PSU RB, (with Barkely coming up fast on the outside) but to me this is a no brainer. Franco is better than Warner as a pro.

The PSU back that could be argued as a better NFL player was Lydell Mitchel. He had a great career for a crappy Baltimore organization. Think what he could have done with the the Steelers..... But as a Steeler fan, I love Franco - what he did as a player, as a representative of the Steelers, and as a representative of The Pennsylvania State University.

Last edited:
I havent see the list, but any list of NFL all time great running backs that does not include Tony Latone (Pottsville Maroons) is garbage!!!

Anthony H. Latone (April 18, 1897 – November 24, 1975) was an American football player of Lithuanian descent who played six seasons in the National Football League (NFL). Although he never attended college, he is unofficially considered the leading rusher of 1920s. During the six seasons he played in the NFL, Latone out-rushed (2,648–2,616 in yards) and outscored (26–21 in touchdowns) the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Red Grange, despite playing 30 fewer games. He was also one of the very few known persons to knock Grange out of a game. Grange later said that, "even though (Chicago Bears owner) George Halas was paying me, 500 bucks to barn storm the nation, it wasn't enough to be hit by the likes of Latone."[1]

Curt Warner Accolades: 8 year pro career, 3 Pro Bowls, with less than 7,000 career rushing yards.

Franco Harris Accolades: 13 year pro career, rookie of the year, 9 Pro Bowls, over 12,000 career rushing yards, primary RB for 4 Championship teams, a member of the All Decade Team for 1970s, and a first ballot Hall of Famer.

Warner was a good pro running back, but there is really no comparison.

I havent see the list, but any list of NFL all time great running backs that does not include Tony Latone (Pottsville Maroons) is garbage!!!

Anthony H. Latone (April 18, 1897 – November 24, 1975) was an American football player of Lithuanian descent who played six seasons in the National Football League (NFL). Although he never attended college, he is unofficially considered the leading rusher of 1920s. During the six seasons he played in the NFL, Latone out-rushed (2,648–2,616 in yards) and outscored (26–21 in touchdowns) the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Red Grange, despite playing 30 fewer games. He was also one of the very few known persons to knock Grange out of a game. Grange later said that, "even though (Chicago Bears owner) George Halas was paying me, 500 bucks to barn storm the nation, it wasn't enough to be hit by the likes of Latone."[1]
What a maroon

Reactions: Bob78
Let's not forget Lenny Moore.

Lenny Moore..... One of my all-time faves. PSU and Baltimore Colts - my two fave teams. Had a chance to meet him about 15 years ago at a PSU game in the NLC box. Even though I was in my 40s, I was a little tongue-tied over meeting a childhood sports hero.

Lenny was somewhat of a hybrid in the NFL, though. The Colts used him a flanker at times, as sort of a wingback, etc. He was not a pure RB his entire pro career. I think he gets overlooked in some 'best of' categories because of that. Not that there have been a lack of phenomenal RBs in the NFL, so he would probably fall outside a Top 17 anyway.

But, NFL Hall of Fame, so enough said about how his career was viewed by those who follow the NFL. One of the greats.

Reactions: artsandletters
Lenny Moore..... One of my all-time faves. PSU and Baltimore Colts - my two fave teams. Had a chance to meet him about 15 years ago at a PSU game in the NLC box. Even though I was in my 40s, I was a little tongue-tied over meeting a childhood sports hero.

Lenny was somewhat of a hybrid in the NFL, though. The Colts used him a flanker at times, as sort of a wingback, etc. He was not a pure RB his entire pro career. I think he gets overlooked in some 'best of' categories because of that. Not that there have been a lack of phenomenal RBs in the NFL, so he would probably fall outside a Top 17 anyway.

But, NFL Hall of Fame, so enough said about how his career was viewed by those who follow the NFL. One of the greats.

I think both Joe Paterno and Jim Brown called him the best RB they'd seen.

Reactions: Bob78
Willie Gallimore. Probably not among the best, but maybe the fastest. Played six years for the Bears before dying in a traffic accident.

Reactions: artsandletters
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT