ADVERTISEMENT

The #1 sign

TEXLION

Jun 24, 2001
Beyond the obvious, does anyone know the meaning of The "number one" sign that coach Franklin and recruits flash in photos?
Coach Franklin even had a wedding party raise the sign at a recent photo opp at the nittany lion shrine.

He wanted to have some kind of symbol as kind of a trademark or whatever that he could associate with the program. To be honest, it's not all that original and is a little presumptuous at this point, but I really like that CJF is thinking about the little things when promoting the program. He's certainly not on cruise control...

Coaches explanation: "One is a goal for us. It's an expectation. We want to be No. 1 in graduation rates. We want to be No. 1 in APR. We want to be No. 1 in the Big Ten at some point. We want to be No. 1 nationally at some point. I want to be the No. 1 dad. I want to be the No. 1 husband. It's a lifestyle."

Coaches explanation: "One is a goal for us. It's an expectation. We want to be No. 1 in graduation rates. We want to be No. 1 in APR. We want to be No. 1 in the Big Ten at some point. We want to be No. 1 nationally at some point. I want to be the No. 1 dad. I want to be the No. 1 husband. It's a lifestyle."

Excellence. I love this. I also love Joe Paterno, but i bristled at the idea of lowering my expectations. (The sum of Joe's work, ethics, and philosophy was excellence... I hold those dark years as the exception)

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Interesting insight as always. If that strategy is well known and shared with recruits, it's even more impressive to see it so consistently.

Excellence. I love this. I also love Joe Paterno, but i bristled at the idea of lowering my expectations. (The sum of Joe's work, ethics, and philosophy was excellence... I hold those dark years as the exception)

ADVERTISEMENT