ADVERTISEMENT

That call…

Kellerdog

Aug 17, 2005
No argument possible from me. Honest Q, why on Gods Green Earth didn’t the sideline marker dudes, or Franklin, or his assistants throw out a flag there? Again, it was reprehensible. But why didn’t anyone on the PSU sideline go ape shit crazy? Apologies if they did, I was at the game and too drunk to notice.

No argument possible from me. Honest Q, why on Gods Green Earth didn’t the sideline marker dudes, or Franklin, or his assistants throw out a flag there? Again, it was reprehensible. But why didn’t anyone on the PSU sideline go ape shit crazy? Apologies if they did, I was at the game and too drunk to notice.
We are used to it…stuff like this happens nearly every Big10 game.

The field refs all agreed on the down. Franklin said they (the refs) asked the replay booth and they too agreed on the down. So even if Franklin challenged it, they already determined the result. I’m not sure if a down can be challenged anyways.

Reactions: Obliviax and psu00
Do they even have flags to throw?

in CJFs Post Game he was asked about it and he asked z reporter to say exactly what it was because he couldn’t say it for fear of being fined.

The field refs all agreed on the down. Franklin said they (the refs) asked the replay booth and they too agreed on the down. So even if Franklin challenged it, they already determined the result. I’m not sure if a down can be challenged anyways.
And anyway, why should we have to burn a TO or a challenge to ensure the most basic fundamental thing in the game is correctly counted by these chuckleheads? It's like giving a team two outs in a baseball inning.

Hey blue, we only sent two men up this inning! Nope. We all agree there are three outs. You can't challenge it and New York agrees. You're done. Who are you going to believe, us or your eyes?

And anyway, why should we have to burn a TO or a challenge to ensure the most basic fundamental thing in the game is correctly counted by these chuckleheads? It's like giving a team two outs in a baseball inning.

Hey blue, we only sent two men up this inning! Nope. We all agree there are three outs. You can't challenge it and New York agrees. You're done. Who are you going to believe, us or your eyes?
Because you have the right to?

The sideline did go crazy. Franklin yelled at each official saying it was 3rd down. They all refused and apparently said they checked with replay and it was 4th down. At that point there’s not much a coach can do.

If he complains after the game he gets fined but what happens to the officials who all let this happen? Do they get suspended or fired? It’ll be interesting to hear what discipline (if any) the SEC hands out to them this week.

The sideline did go crazy. Franklin yelled at each official saying it was 3rd down. They all refused and apparently said they checked with replay and it was 4th down. At that point there’s not much a coach can do.

If he complains after the game he gets fined but what happens to the officials who all let this happen? Do they get suspended or fired? It’ll be interesting to hear what discipline (if any) the SEC hands out to them this week.
This is what I was looking for. Should never happen, honestly never happens in a AU game. Saban must hate PSU….

• Haha
Reactions: sarasotan and psu00
Because you have the right to?
The refs stopped play when psu ran the point team out. The refs called the replay both and they confirmed it was fourth down. Throwing a flag or calling a timeout would have been a waste of those resources

Reactions: PsuFsuBri36

Discipline? They will receive bonuses…they did exactly what they were told.

You need some edumacation on B1G officiating. 2014 Ohio State.....they were allowed to kick a field goal three seconds after the play clock hit zero. Plus, a dropped interception was ruled a catch.....upon review they claimed the review system wasn’t functioning so they couldn’t review it.....all the while the stadium big screen was showing the play over and over.

2002....Michigan.....PSU receiver Johnson catches pass take three steps...and is ruled out of bounds. We block a punt....I was there and could here the ball hit player’s hand.....but the player was called for roughing the punter. On third and short plays Michigan was given multiple first downs when refs took a crooked walk to mark the ball.

2005 Michigan.......final minute Mich receiver catches ball and toes come down in bounds but heal lands on sideline....after review refs ruled since toes hit first he was in bounds! Plus they put two seconds back on clock to allow Michigan to get winning TD.

lots more...... Could go on and on.......

Last edited:
2002....Michigan.....PSU receiver Johnson catches pass take three steps...and is ruled out of bounds. We block a punt....I was there and could here the ball hit player’s hand.....but the player was called for roughing the punter. On third and short plays Michigan was given multiple first downs when refs took a crooked walk to mark the ball
I was there as well. could see that Johnson was in-bounds from about the 97th row.

You need some edumacation on B1G officiating. 2014 Ohio State.....they were allowed to kick a field goal three seconds after the play cloning zero. Plus, a dropped interception was ruled a catch.....upon review the claimed the review system wasn’t functioning so they couldn’t review it.....all the while the stadium big screen was showing the play over and over.

2002....Michigan.....PSU receiver Johnson catches pass take three steps...and is ruled out of bounds. We block a punt....I was there and could here the ball hit player’s hand.....but the player was called for roughing the punter. On third and short plays Michigan was given multiple first downs when refs took a crooked walk to mark the ball.

2005 Michigan.......final minute Mich receiver catches ball and toes come down in bounds but heal lands on sideline....after review refs ruled since toes hit first he was in bounds! Plus they put two seconds back on clock to allow Michigan to get winning TD.

lots more...... Could go on and on.......
Yup. We get that shit too.

I was there as well. could see that Johnson was in-bounds from about the 97th row.
Me too. And from what I read later, the coaching staff reviewed the play in the locker room after the game and were seething. Wasn't this the game that ultimately resulted in The Big Ten implementing replay? Well, in our case we see how little that helped. As an aside, I defy anybody to name a team that gets screwed by the officials more than Penn State. It's just uncanny.

Me too. And from what I read later, the coaching staff reviewed the play in the locker room after the game and were seething. Wasn't this the game that ultimately resulted in The Big Ten implementing replay? Well, in our case we see how little that helped.
it was either that or the Iowa game.

Reactions: WyomingLion
it was either that or the Iowa game.
It was the combination of the two. IIRC, Paterno had a film made up of all the bad calls and sent it to the B2G and the NCAA. The next year, the B2G used replay and it was such a hit within fans the NCAA went national the following year.

Exit. The Iowa game was so bad a 70+ yr old Paterno chased the referees after the game was over!

Last edited:
The funny thing is, it's not as bad as when big ten refs stop calling offensive holding and defensive pass interference on the likes of OSU or MI or whomever they want to help win. Easiest way to control the game is to stop calling penalties. No lead is ever big enough.

Last edited:
Who am I to tell a man how to spend his money, but maybe complaining about the refs in the post-game presser (getting a fine) winds up making the SEC take a closer look at this.

CJF showed much better composure than I would have.

You need some edumacation on B1G officiating. 2014 Ohio State.....they were allowed to kick a field goal three seconds after the play cloning zero. Plus, a dropped interception was ruled a catch.....upon review the claimed the review system wasn’t functioning so they couldn’t review it.....all the while the stadium big screen was showing the play over and

You forgot to mention the timeout the refs called for Urban so OSU wouldn't get a delay of game penalty.

Watched the replay and the largest culprits were the idiots with the down marker. They had it at third down after the penalty call (when it should have been 2nd down), perhaps these stupid SOB’s thought that loss of down meant two downs. Then take the east way out with review and only look at what the down marker noted.

One correction, is that they didn't review the heel/toe catch, which makes it even worse. I've seen that play many other times at every level of FB, every time it was OOB.

The worst thing that could happen to this referee crew would be to miss a game, which would be a big hit in their wallets. More likely it'll just be a review with the SEC office at most.

Is there such a thing as “challenge” in CFB??!!!
There’s certainly no red flag.
He talked to the refs and they consulted the booth. It was right after the bogus grounding call. So clearly the rules were irrelevant. He knew it could only be settled with a knife in the tunnel after the game

One correction, is that they didn't review the heel/toe catch, which makes it even worse. I've seen that play many other times at every level of FB, every time it was OOB.
one of the most frustrating things in my online sports experiences was watching some Penn State fans argue that it definitely was a catch by rule

it's a basic call, unbelievable that anyone thought it was a valid catch

Calling a timeout and challenging it would have almost certainly ended with us winning it.
Can't you read? He talked to all of the people who would be involved on the field, and then the field refs talked to the replay official. So the point would be to what .. strenuously object? If their minds were made up to cheat, nothing was going to change that. You've seen many instances of horrific calls being upheld in this conference even after review, this would have been no different. Why on earth do you think it would?

Love having teams like Auburn on the schedule but seriously, that was the most pathetic officiating I have ever seen. If your refs are going to do that, then don't come.

Reactions: PsuFsuBri36
Kellerdog, was the lost of down any different then intentional grounding in the same series. You can only have intentional grounding when the QB is under pressure. No one was within 5 yards of Clifford. Bad call, 1 play - forced to kick!

Can't you read? He talked to all of the people who would be involved on the field, and then the field refs talked to the replay official. So the point would be to what .. strenuously object? If their minds were made up to cheat, nothing was going to change that. You've seen many instances of horrific calls being upheld in this conference even after review, this would have been no different. Why on earth do you think it would?

Love having teams like Auburn on the schedule but seriously, that was the most pathetic officiating I have ever seen. If your refs are going to do that, then don't come.
The conspiracy theories are ridiculous. “Their minds were made up to cheat”. No, they screwed up and things were moving too quickly to realize the screw up. People here really think the refs realized it was 3rd down, but wanted to try and screw us intentionally even if they came out of it looking like idiots?

Franklin calls timeout there, and it forces them to take the time to review the entire sequence and realize the mistake.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT