ADVERTISEMENT

Thank you for this forum.

Psalm 1 guy

Nov 3, 2019
Well, after following this wrestling forum and others obsessively since 2011, I have finally decided to join. I wanted to start my first post by thanking all of you for the enjoyment you have brought me these last nine years. I feel like I know you all. The wrestling Community is a special one, and I am glad to have reunited with it, if only through this forum.

I started following Penn State wrestling and college wrestling in general in 2011 after I realized I could access college wrestling on the internet. I was introduced to David Taylor, newly-hired Penn State Coach Cael Sanderson and the rest of the Penn State wrestlers. I was immediately drawn to their style of wrestling, and I have been hooked ever since.

Just a little background on me for anyone who may be interested. My name is Gaylon Sells (I am not a fan of internet anonymity). I am 55, live outside of San Diego, and just retired in May after 32 years in law enforcement. I wrestled in college in Oregon but was nothing special, although I absolutely loved the sport. The best I ever did was go 1 and 1 at NJCAA Nationals one year, but I was a middle-of-the-road wrestler at best. I now enjoy the sport of wrestling vicariously through forums like this one. My promise to all of you is that I will always try to be respectful and considerate in all of my posts. I view the wrestling Community as an extended family, and we should always treat our family with kindness and respect. I want to personally thank RoarLions1 for the consistent wisdom, professionalism and kindness he has exhibited in all of his posts throughout the years. If I can live up to the standards he has set on this forum I will consider it a success.

I plan on going to the Arizona State dual (although I have yet to find any available tickets so far) and hope to see some of you there. Thank you in advance for the opportunity to be a contributing member of this forum. Gaylon

Well, after following this wrestling forum and others obsessively since 2011, I have finally decided to join. I wanted to start my first post by thanking all of you for the enjoyment you have brought me these last nine years. I feel like I know you all. The wrestling Community is a special one, and I am glad to have reunited with it, if only through this forum.

I started following Penn State wrestling and college wrestling in general in 2011 after I realized I could access college wrestling on the internet. I was introduced to David Taylor, newly-hired Penn State Coach Cael Sanderson and the rest of the Penn State wrestlers. I was immediately drawn to their style of wrestling, and I have been hooked ever since.

Just a little background on me for anyone who may be interested. My name is Gaylon Sells (I am not a fan of internet anonymity). I am 55, live outside of San Diego, and just retired in May after 32 years in law enforcement. I wrestled in college in Oregon but was nothing special, although I absolutely loved the sport. The best I ever did was go 1 and 1 at NJCAA Nationals one year, but I was a middle-of-the-road wrestler at best. I now enjoy the sport of wrestling vicariously through forums like this one. My promise to all of you is that I will always try to be respectful and considerate in all of my posts. I view the wrestling Community as an extended family, and we should always treat our family with kindness and respect. I want to personally thank RoarLions1 for the consistent wisdom, professionalism and kindness he has exhibited in all of his posts throughout the years. If I can live up to the standards he has set on this forum I will consider it a success.

I plan on going to the Arizona State dual (although I have yet to find any available tickets so far) and hope to see some of you there. Thank you in advance for the opportunity to be a contributing member of this forum. Gaylon
Welcome mr sells. Enjoy yourself

Reactions: pish69
Welcome to the family. As with all families there is some occasional acrimony, name calling, anger, and frustration.

Despite these squabbles, most of us recognize that this is a special time to be a fan of wrestling.

Cael and company have consistently reminded us to be grateful for the historic accomplishments we have witnessed for individual wrestlers as well as the team.

I know that I enjoy the insight and camaraderie on the board, and judging from your first post, I look forward to hearing more from you in the future.

Get ready for a wild ride as the season gets underway. The stage is set for another terrific year and the dynasty shows no signs of ending anytime soon.

Reactions: pish69 and 1AA
Welcome Gaylon! FYI, tickets for the PSU vs ASU wrestling match are still available through ASU Athletics. https://am.ticketmaster.com/sundevils/#/ . My son and I will be there from central PA to cheer on our team. Hope to see you there as well!

Welcome to the forum! Just show up for the ASU dual, there will be plenty of seats available in the Wells Fargo arena. ASU had some big crowds when Ok State and Ohio State were there, but it wasn't close to being sold out.

Welcome aboard, sir. And thanks for your work in law enforcement, also congrats on your retirement :)!!

Last edited:
I would like to file a complaint with the moderators. The guy puts his first post out there and gives this board all kinds of compliments and now he has 32 likes to 1 post. How are we supposed to keep up with that ratio? We can't compete with a post to like ratio like that. This is an abuse of the slush fund and I want some action taken!! :) Other than that, welcome aboard.

I would like to file a complaint with the moderators. The guy puts his first post out there and gives this board all kinds of compliments and now he has 32 likes to 1 post. How are we supposed to keep up with that ratio? We can't compete with a post to like ratio like that. This is an abuse of the slush fund and I want some action taken!! :) Other than that, welcome aboard.
I thought there was a rule that only parents of wrestlers (such as John Brooks) can get that kind of like rate.

Seriously, welcome to the board.

Before I buy my tickets for the ASU dual, are any of you Penn State fans going to be in any particular section? TIA

I thought there was a rule that only parents of wrestlers (such as John Brooks) can get that kind of like rate.

Seriously, welcome to the board.

Before I buy my tickets for the ASU dual, are any of you Penn State fans going to be in any particular section? TIA
All seats are general admission according to the ticket rep I spoke to. My tickets say section GA2, row GA1, seats 20 & 21. I don’t think I can PM you. If you can PM me, I could send you my mobile number and we could connect at the arena.

All seats are general admission according to the ticket rep I spoke to. My tickets say section GA2, row GA1, seats 20 & 21. I don’t think I can PM you. If you can PM me, I could send you my mobile number and we could connect at the arena.

Neither of you can initiate a PM. One of you would have to be a PT subscriber to BWI to be able to initiate a PM.

Everyone who is a Penn State alum should wear some kind of Penn State shirt. When they were in CA a few years ago, all the Penn State crowd sat together. (We were obviously outnumbered, although definitely NOT outmatched)

Everyone who is a Penn State alum should wear some kind of Penn State shirt. When they were in CA a few years ago, all the Penn State crowd sat together. (We were obviously outnumbered, although definitely NOT outmatched)
I will be wearing my PSU Wrestling hat and 2019 National Champions tee shirt PROUDLY but respectfully in enemy territory.

Reactions: hlstone
I will be wearing my PSU Wrestling hat and 2019 National Champions tee shirt PROUDLY but respectfully in enemy territory.

Don't worry, the ASU fans are good people. BTW, if you're an NFL historian, keep your eyes peeled for Curly Culp. I'm pretty sure that he'll be there. Super nice guy, too.

Reactions: JCPSU73-77
Sorry for the ignorance on my part, but where would my money best be spent on PSU gear while also supporting PSU wrestling?

Sorry for the ignorance on my part, but where would my money best be spent on PSU gear while also supporting PSU wrestling?

Welcome to the board. See link to the Penn State Wrestling Club website. You can buy PSU wrestling gear there. At the end of each season the club donates the excess cash to PSU, for the use of the wrestling team. This past season it was $125,000.

https://www.pennstatewrestlingclub.org/content/logout.php

Welcome to the board. See link to the Penn State Wrestling Club website. You can buy PSU wrestling gear there. At the end of each season the club donates the excess cash to PSU, for the use of the wrestling team. This past season it was $125,000.

https://www.pennstatewrestlingclub.org/content/logout.php

Thank you very much. The PSU cap and XXL : ( shirt are en route. On a side note, it would be interesting to see how many of us old-timer wrestlers have struggled with our weight over the years. I firmly believe the many years of yo-yo dieting took their toll on my metabolism. I was a notorious weight-cutter. I once weighed in on a Monday morning at 154 1/2 and made 136 by the Thursday afternoon weigh-in. I still can't believe my parents didn't put a stop to it.

On a happier note, my tickets for the ASU dual are in Section G, A4, Row G, A8, Seat 24 - 25. I look forward to meeting some of you there. I will also be spending Friday night in Tempe, so if any of you are planning any get togethers after the dual I would love to join you.

You always walk into a room this puckered-up to kiss ass?

I'm kidding. Welcome to the board. It's just that the positive to animosity ratio was all screwed up in here.

Thank you very much. The PSU cap and XXL : ( shirt are en route. On a side note, it would be interesting to see how many of us old-timer wrestlers have struggled with our weight over the years. I firmly believe the many years of yo-yo dieting took their toll on my metabolism. I was a notorious weight-cutter. I once weighed in on a Monday morning at 154 1/2 and made 136 by the Thursday afternoon weigh-in. I still can't believe my parents didn't put a stop to it.

On a happier note, my tickets for the ASU dual are in Section G, A4, Row G, A8, Seat 24 - 25. I look forward to meeting some of you there. I will also be spending Friday night in Tempe, so if any of you are planning any get togethers after the dual I would love to join you.

It's pretty clear that you are not yet privy to the double top secret Nittany Lion Slush Fund. Its existence is one of the most closely guarded secrets in college sports. It is so secret that not even Cael and the coaching staff know anything about it. Only the regular members of this forum have the slightest hint that there is such a fund. Hawk fans have voiced suspicions over the years, but none have ever been able to produce any tangible evidence. We can send you the account number and password for you to begin making contributions, but they require a special 256 bit encryption key just to read them. Stay tuned for future instructions.

About that weight thing. If you are lucky enough to live in an area where the weather is cooperative, get a good road bike and start cycling. I did that in San Diego for years and kept my body fat percentage pretty low even into my early sixties. I had to back off more recently because I aggravated a nerve in my neck, but it's something you can keep doing for a long time.

Reactions: PSUbluTX
ADVERTISEMENT