ADVERTISEMENT

Thank you FIFA

excattyguy

Nov 29, 2007
Thanks to FIFA for keeping Sepp Blatter.

He seemed like a prime candidate for the BOT as a future B&I trustee appointee.

Reactions: fairgambit
When I first saw the thread title and clicked on it, I was wondering where the OP was gonna go with this. Well done, dude. Right on the money (pun intended).

Thanks to FIFA for keeping Sepp Blatter.

He seemed like a prime candidate for the BOT as a future B&I trustee appointee.

As a non soccer fan- FIFA is a complete disaster. It's a swamp that will never be drained. Never. He has effectively bought off the heads of enough third world country soccer federations (Africa, South America, Asia) that he will never lose. It's the B&I elections on steroids.

Honestly, even if the FBI jails the 14+ officials in the net now- it still won't change. This is how they do business (as you saw from the overwhelming vote today). The next bribe taker just fills the open spot.

The only fix I see is if the European, Canadian, USA, Australian, and big S American teams (Brazil and Argentina) vote to leave FIFA and start their own organization and a new World Cup. The FIFA money will evaporate so quickly when their championship is Ghana vs Iran in 120 degrees in Qatar while the new group is a Germany vs Brazil final. ;)

The only fix I see is if the European, Canadian, USA, Australian, and big S American teams (Brazil and Argentina) vote to leave FIFA and start their own organization and a new World Cup. The FIFA money will evaporate so quickly when their championship is Ghana vs Iran in 120 degrees in Qatar while the new group is a Germany vs Brazil final. ;)
Don't think for a minute that it could not happen. I find it hard to conceive that the drive to reform corruption in international soccer is suddenly over with Blatter's reelection. Looks like some sponsors are already prepared to jump ship. If the Europeans and Americans hold together, the pressure on Blatter and his ilk will be tremendous.

Don't think for a minute that it could not happen. I find it hard to conceive that the drive to reform corruption in international soccer is suddenly over with Blatter's reelection. Looks like some sponsors are already prepared to jump ship. If the Europeans and Americans hold together, the pressure on Blatter and his ilk will be tremendous.

I agree but getting Europeans to do anything more than complain is a feat in itself. They like to let others do things and then bitch about how they did it. They aren't good at taking action themselves. I would bet even a few Euro federations voted for Blatter today.

Last edited:
personally, I could care less about FIFA or any other soccer stuff - unless they were going to get Freeh for his poor work. I am not sure why the US needs to be so involved. we have turned a stupid sport that is not American now into an international issue. The Russians are accusing us of trying to scuttle their WC. We could have taken a very light involvement just on the US transactions and local parties, and prosecuted the actions on our soil. Using the fact that these characters fly through Kennedy to get jurisdiction on the larger group is a big stretch to me. I find it wasteful, and would rather have the effort/$ from Justice aimed somewhere else. Who cares. Why don't the countries where the actual actions are occurring get involved - US has minimal role here. Not sure what is motivating us???

personally, I could care less about FIFA or any other soccer stuff - unless they were going to get Freeh for his poor work. I am not sure why the US needs to be so involved. we have turned a stupid sport that is not American now into an international issue. The Russians are accusing us of trying to scuttle their WC. We could have taken a very light involvement just on the US transactions and local parties, and prosecuted the actions on our soil. Using the fact that these characters fly through Kennedy to get jurisdiction on the larger group is a big stretch to me. I find it wasteful, and would rather have the effort/$ from Justice aimed somewhere else. Who cares. Why don't the countries where the actual actions are occurring get involved - US has minimal role here. Not sure what is motivating us???
So you don't feel it's important to punish those laundering money and commuting fraud through our banking systems and also evading taxes? Also, the Swiss are heavily involved as well. The U.S. role is hardly minimal. The scale is in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

Reactions: psu00
The parallels between FIFA, PSUBoT, NCAA, and major investment banks are uncanny. Too big to fail. Key players are intoxicated with their own private access to power and control rights and money flow that transparency is shut down at every turn. And if you scratch the surface of these enterprises you will likely find some group of folks engaged in severe forms of debauchery.

I agree but getting Europeans to do anything more than complain is a feat in itself. They like to let others do things and then bitch about how they did it. They aren't good at taking action themselves. I would bet even a few Euro federations voted for Blatter today.
Last time I checked Switzerland is still in Europe.

Last time I checked Switzerland is still in Europe.

True.......but they haven't done anything yet. They have sat on their hands for years with the allegations of FIFA wrongdoing (as FIFA is based in Seitzerland). My suspicion is they are 'going with the flow' now post US indictments but will actually do little. I have a suspicion their 'investigation' is a lot like Barron's promise to review the Freeh report. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT