ADVERTISEMENT

Thank You, DJ

Raffycorn

Jul 12, 2012
The best player I've seen in a PSU uniform in my lifetime. I'd take him over anyone in program history not named Jesse Arnelle.

I think that ranks him a bit high, but I fully agree that it's been a

pleasure watching him, and he's been a great ambassador for the school at a still difficult time.

Thanks, D.J., and best of luck going forward

Originally posted by Raffycorn:
The best player I've seen in a PSU uniform in my lifetime. I'd take him over anyone in program history not named Jesse Arnelle.
I love the kid, but I'd take Joe Crispin or Talor Battle over DJ. Still, he gave all he had and he'll be missed.

This post was edited on 3/13 6:10 PM by fairgambit

A warrior, a great representative of Penn State and as good a basketball player as I've seen wear our uniform. All best wishes going forward, DJ !

Originally posted by fairgambit:
I love the kid, but I'd take Joe Crispin or Talor Battle over DJ. Still, he gave all he had and he'll be missed.

I would not take Joe Crispin over Newbill. Crispin was in the upper tier of 3 pt shooters in college basketball history. But when he was off, he would not give up the ball and would shoot us out of games. I remember a particularly bad one against Ohio State or Indiana, where he PSU had a 20 point lead and then he got cold and shot them right out of it. Nearly cost them a trip to the tournament.

Originally posted by fairfaxlion2:

I would not take Joe Crispin over Newbill. Crispin was in the upper tier of 3 pt shooters in college basketball history. But when he was off, he would not give up the ball and would shoot us out of games. I remember a particularly bad one against Ohio State or Indiana, where he PSU had a 20 point lead and then he got cold and shot them right out of it. Nearly cost them a trip to the tournament.
I know Joe had a better cast, but with him we upset North Carolina and made the Sweet 16. He averaged 19.5 points a game his Senior year. That said, they are both great players.

I would not take Joe Crispin over Newbill.

I wouldn't either. He and Jon were also both defensive liabilities.

You know, Crispin was the one who I was bouncing between when I said that. Although I think Crispin's best attribute (three-point shooting) is better than any one attribute DJ has, I think DJ is a more well-rounded player. Similarly, I think DJ's a better all-around player than Battle, who was much more of a gunslinger who lived on circus shots - I think DJ was a bit more under control as a basketball player. I think DJ has a better combination of size, strength and athleticism than Crispin or Battle. As others mentioned, too, Crispin benefited from a much better overall supporting cast, and Battle benefited from a pretty underrated point guard in Stanley Pringle and then with a year of Frazier, who was much more of a distributing point guard than Garner is at this stage. They're all great players, but I think DJ was a little harder for each team to prepare for just because he could do almost everything successfully offensively.

Both Talor Battle and DJ Newbill were great players in my opinion. Talor was a little quicker in getting his shot off; more accurate from the 3 point arc. DJ definitely was a better scorer. Could score in more ways; had a nice fallaway jumper. Loved them both but liked TB a little more because of his ability to electrify the fans with his long range bombs from 3. Some of his 3 point shots were from 8-10 feet beyond the arc. TB was a typical streak shooter. Exciting to watch when he was on the mark.

I think Jamelle Cornley needs to be part of the conversation. He was tough in the clutch and was very effective inside even though he was undersized.

Originally posted by 9fold:

I think Jamelle Cornley needs to be part of the conversation. He was tough in the clutch and was very effective inside even though he was undersized.
I think Cornley's certainly in the discussion for big men (I would put him behind Arnelle, Amaechi, and Booth) and I'd put him as the pound-for-pound toughest player that I can recall in a PSU uniform. But I don't think he's the same kind of all-around scoring threat that DJ was that necessitated the defense's full attention at all times.

Any discussion of big men has to include Frank Brickowski. Heck, his name is tough!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT