ADVERTISEMENT

Thank God I didn't attend Maryland

canuckhal

May 5, 2014
Locksley is returning to Bama on Dec. 14 and is focusing on OK through Dec. 29. He has no staff hired. Going to wear his UM hat in the evenings. Will be hard pressed to put much of a class together. Maybe Maryland will become the place of the misfit transfers.

Rumors are still Gattis for OC if App State or Temple don't work out for him and Locksley will hire Dematha head coach. Sure to set-up some interesting recruiting battles with Mr. Dominate the State and Region.

I do wonder if any of those Maryland Bama recruits will decide to look closer to home in the coming weeks. Not to UM but to PSU. Could use another LB and S.

Gattis would be nuts to go to MD. He's likely not getting much of a raise, if any, and he's like not going to be the true OC there. Unless he's just desperate to get "offensive coordinator" on his resume.

Locksley is returning to Bama on Dec. 14 and is focusing on OK through Dec. 29. He has no staff hired. Going to wear his UM hat in the evenings. Will be hard pressed to put much of a class together. Maybe Maryland will become the place of the misfit transfers.

Rumors are still Gattis for OC if App State or Temple don't work out for him and Locksley will hire Dematha head coach. Sure to set-up some interesting recruiting battles with Mr. Dominate the State and Region.

I do wonder if any of those Maryland Bama recruits will decide to look closer to home in the coming weeks. Not to UM but to PSU. Could use another LB and S.

They'll likely get a small bump in recruiting because of a new HC (tends to happen with every new HC at any program) but that will wane once one field results fail to impress. Then, rinse and repeat.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Gattis would be nuts to go to MD. He's likely not getting much of a raise, if any, and he's like not going to be the true OC there. Unless he's just desperate to get "offensive coordinator" on his resume.

If Gattis does go to UMD, then he must hold a serious grudge against Franklin. Not only did Gattis leave right after Rahne was promoted to OC, but he continued to recruit the players he was recruiting while at Penn State. Some may say this is not ethical, or just the nature of the game. Some folks said that Gattis left because he was ticked off that he was not promoted to OC and/or he believed Rahne was not qualified to be OC. By going to UMD, he is at conference rival and a recruiting neighbor. UMD is not a stepping stone for coaches, but rather where coaches go to plateau.

If Gattis does go to UMD, then he must hold a serious grudge against Franklin. Not only did Gattis leave right after Rahne was promoted to OC, but he continued to recruit the players he was recruiting while at Penn State. Some may say this is not ethical, or just the nature of the game. Some folks said that Gattis left because he was ticked off that he was not promoted to OC and/or he believed Rahne was not qualified to be OC. By going to UMD, he is at conference rival and a recruiting neighbor. UMD is not a stepping stone for coaches, but rather where coaches go to plateau.
It’s a pretty serious gamble to put your future in the hands of locksley.

I don't see Gattis going to Maryland. Honestly, he had a chance to go to the "IT" program in Alabama...cannot really blame him.

Reactions: bytir
Not making the connection as to what Locksleys actions mean vis a vis you not attending Maryland.
His degree would obviously be diminished by the head football coach continuing to help his former team win a national championship.

And Gattis just arrived in AL. I’d think Saban would want another year. And Gattis would want the OC job Locksley’s vacating.

If Gattis is ready to be OC and has his choice, I know where I’d choose. Proven mentorship and the best roster.

Moorhead did the same thing.

Maryland has been, and remains, one good HFC hire (and a couple years of patience) away from being a solid Top 25 program..... IMO.
(I think “The Joker” might have gotten them there - if not for the FUBAR over the summer)

Whether or not Locksley is that “good HFC hire” remains to be seen.

Locksleys strategy appears to be this: contact all of your old contacts who were/are coaches in the DMV (especially the WCAC and Afr Am ones) as well as old players who made the NFL and use them to recruit. What an Af Am head coach told he is, "now that we had a guy like us here we need to send him our best guys so he can succeed"

I perceive this experience to be less mentoring and more seeing Saban’s process behind the curtain and adding Saban coaching tree to your resume.
You may be right. Not sure it matters. If one wants to be guaranteed HC offers, there’s no better tree. And whatever they’re learning, it works!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT